Author Topic: Empulse R gearing details, performance  (Read 1770 times)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Empulse R gearing details, performance
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
Would like to get some feedback from owners.

Does the owner's manual list the gearing ratios for the Empulse transmission? If not, could one of our owners report back mph:rpm ratios for each speed? You may find it easiest to hold a particular RPM and then estimate speed, or hold a particular speed and then estimate RPM. Either format would be fine.

1st gear: 5000 RPM @ 38 mph
or
1st gear: 5800 RPM @ 45 mph

Doesn't have to be exact. Just trying to get a feel for the bike.

Also, can anyone get an approximate full power 0-60 mph time for the bike? Both in Normal mode and Sport mode? (Feel free to repeat this test as often as needed :D)
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Empulse R gearing details, performance
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
From memory, here are a few gears:

2nd: 5000 RPM @ 45 mph
3rd: 5000 RPM @ 50 mph
6th: 3500 RPM @ 60 mph (i.e. you can hit the highway during the break in period!)

I'll see about getting better data tonight.
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »
Here is what I have:
1: 38 mph @ 5000
2: 47 mph @ 5000
3: 57 mph @ 5000
4: 66 mph @ 5000
5: 63 mph @ 4000
6: 61 mph @ 3500

I hope that's all you need. The speed limit is 50 where I was testing so I wasn't going to try for 5000 rpm at 6th gear!
Richard #935 #595 #44

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 10:57:10 PM »
I was wondering what is the best "gear" and speed to get optimum range?

When I am just cruising at 55 mph at 4000 RPM, I think in 4th...I would think the range indicator would go up, but it doesn't seem to have as high of an estimated range vs lugging it in 6th at a lower RPM (non-optimum RPM).

Where are you guys at speed and RPM wise to get maximum range?

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »
I'm still experimenting with what gives max range, but for now I'm following the words of Adam Lukovic that somewhere around 7000 rpm in Normal mode and 6000 rpm in Sport mode have the motor working in the most efficient band.

What gear that is depends on how fast you want to go. Today I was shooting for some good range to get to where I wanted to ride and had to take the freeway for most of the route. I don't feel safe, even in the slow lane, at under 50 mph and prefer 55 to 60. This called for second gear to hold the revs up in that optimum band. I mostly rode with 1 or 2 green lights on which, in 2nd, is around 63 mph. 1st gear hits the optimum band around 50 mph.

Air temp was 49F and I did 56 miles and returned home with 18% charge remaining. I didnt' "hypermile" it, but I didn't juice it hard off the stops either.

After 1500 miles, I've grown to love the sound of the motor whirring along at steady high rpm's.

Can't wait to see what warmer air temps do to the range. Or graphene capacitors. 8)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:31:00 AM by Shinysideup »

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 01:35:34 AM »
There's a forum wiki page with the answer to that question.

http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Empulse_Motor_Efficiency

Check out the rest of wiki for other interesting info.
Richard #935 #595 #44

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 02:26:32 AM »
I'm still experimenting with what gives max range, but for now I'm following the words of Adam Lukovic that somewhere around 7000 rpm in Normal mode and 6000 rpm in Sport mode have the motor working in the most efficient band.

You are quoting the RPM targets for best power/acceleration.  In a later note (link), after he conferred with the powertrain design engineer, he clarified that in both Sport and Normal the most efficient RPM range was right around 5000 RPM.  Also, the power target was 5K for sport, not 6K.  It will be interesting to see if you get any better range aiming for 5K if you've got any objective benchmarks to compare against your current strategy.

So, the recommendations on the table are:

Sport - 5K best power, 5K best range
Normal - 7K best power, 5K best range
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »
Thanks for the correction... will give it a try.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
5000 it is!  thanks for the info

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »
Well I seem to be getting more range at 5000 RPM, though I also have been fiddling with lower tire pressures, so can't really offer any data with any precision right now.

I have a question about the Range Indicator: How do I use it? It makes no sense to me!

When I turn on the bike each morning, it says I have 120 miles. Then, as I drive, it changes, but the changes happen very often and the swings between numbers are quite large. I'm assuming the computer is running some sort of moving average, but the data set analyzed doesn't seem large enough to garner any stability by meaningful curve smoothing, rendering what could be a very useful tool, not so much.

Or am I just failing to understand how to use this tool? (Often wrong; never in doubt!)

Thanks,
Bill

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Shinyside,

I think it is more of an instantaneous range projection.  I too find it changes too much to be super useful.  But wanted to give it more miles for me to get use to it.

Does the enertia do this also?

Tesla has a ideal range and an estimated range that is pretty dead on.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Empulse R gearing details, performance
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:43:38 AM »

Does the enertia do this also?
Yes. I pay more attention to the state of charge and do most of my estimating based on that. Plus, my commute doesn't differ much from day to day, so I know what to expect and am never taken by surprise.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
My Vectrix also had such a random number generator. I now run custom firmware which displays pack voltage in the range field. Much more useful, especially with the NiMH batteries!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:01 AM »
Well, our battery indicator is a useful voltmeter and I can sort of estimate range from it, but it seems silly to have a Range readout that is so squirrelly.

I mean, we've got sensors. We've got computer chips. We've got the ability to do digital math and smooth a moving average, factoring in SOC, recent Amp-hour history, battery temperature, recent average speed, historical average speed since last full charge, etc..Don't we?

As it now stands, any lingering range anxiety that bubbles to the surface is exacerbated by a Range readout that flops from 63 to 28 miles. Makes me queasy!

If Tesla can do it, why can't Brammo?

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
I agree that the range indicator isn't all that useful. I'm almost always running the battery to empty whenever I do my 77 mile commute, so range is a very important thing for me to be aware of. The SOC (battery level) indicator is the most important tool, and it's accurate in that when it gets to 0, you're done.

The way I use the dashboard is to reset the trip meter when I start (at 100%) and check my range every time I get to factor of 10% SOC. (90, 80, 70, etc.) Then I calculate my expected range based on the past range. E.g. Say that at 90% I've gone 10 miles. That means if I keep riding in the same way I can do 100 miles. Over time, that maximum range will change as I go faster or slower, but given that I have a specific range I'm trying to get to (77 miles), I can use that simple calculation to tell me if I can go faster (i.e. use more energy), or if I have to slow down.

The range indicator does settle down if you can hold a constant speed for some time, and that is the number you should use for your range estimate. Changing speed (accelerating or braking), changing elevation (going up or down a hill), and wind (head or tail wind, or drafting behind a bus) will significantly affect that number, so you have to decide if you are going to be in that state for a long time, or if you should ignore the indicated range for a while.

I like the way that my van estimates range. Basically, it uses fuel remaining with an average fuel consumption per mile. I'm not sure how long it keeps data to make the average, but it's fairly long, so if I've been driving conservatively for a few days and then I drive like a hooligan, the range estimate will be very wrong. I can manually reset the counter when I change my driving style to get a more current estimate.

Once nice thing about the fast changing range indicator is that you can immediately see how what you are doing will affect your range. E.g. See how the range is affected when you sit up vs. hunch down, or when you go faster vs. go slower.
Richard #935 #595 #44