Author Topic: Empulse R gearing details, performance  (Read 1773 times)

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse R gearing details, performance
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
Other than playing with the display modes for the first week or so, I basically have not even touched the button to change modes to anything other than the kW consumption metric.  (the +/- kW number)  I don't find any of the other numbers useful for the vast majority of my riding.  The temperature stats are good to have, but there's the giant bar that appears to tell me whenever the battery is too cold (and I presume when the battery is too hot, but thankfully I haven't run into that situation yet).

The kW usage figure can tell me at a glance whether or not my current riding pattern is sustainable over the period I want to be able to travel -- and I'd much rather see that actual figure displayed than an arbitrary number of miles calculated from that figure.  Also it is ever-so-satisfying to see the regen putting some juice back in the batteries.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 06:23:02 AM »
The range indicator does settle down if you can hold a constant speed for some time, and that is the number you should use for your range estimate. Changing speed (accelerating or braking), changing elevation (going up or down a hill), and wind (head or tail wind, or drafting behind a bus) will significantly affect that number, so you have to decide if you are going to be in that state for a long time, or if you should ignore the indicated range for a while.

First of all - Thanks for the comments.  We do know we need to spend more time on the range indicator - it's the only "predictive" function of the dash - i.e. all other displayed values are real-time statuses.  The size of the battery pack and the range of usage (possible C-rate draw) on the pack makes this somewhat tricky to find the right duration to use to show an average.  At the moment, it is really only useful for highway commuting - i.e. sustained speeds.  It becomes much less useful once there's a change in power.  I have never used the range estimate, but can appreciate some riders do like to use it.  The test riders we have at Brammo seemed to be using it for estimating freeway miles at a constant speed, so this is how we set it up.  We'll see what improvements can be made for future software updates. 

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »
BMW has been using a range indicator on their motorcycles for the past few years - with mixed results. The early versions started counting down the miles left once you reached and estimated 50 miles of gas left in the tank. That worked fine for me, because I ride at a steady speed all the time, but not so much for may other people - including the motorcycle press, who had a tendency to run out of fuel with 10 or 15 miles left showing on the computer. Since then BMW seems to have dropped the countdown feature and just lets you know when you have reached your "reserve" fuel at an indicated 50 miles of range left, based upon your average mileage during your current ride. They then show the number of miles that you have ridden since hitting "reserve". I am not quite sure how the latest models handing the issue, but it can be a real head-scratcher for a designer, as you can never really predict what an owner is going to do with your bike in the field.  All you really know is that if they run out of "gas" and have to start pushing, they are going to be really unhappy - not a good thing.  So the conservative approach to estimating range usually wins out.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 11:10:21 AM »
Here is what I have:
1: 38 mph @ 5000
2: 47 mph @ 5000
3: 57 mph @ 5000
4: 66 mph @ 5000
5: 63 mph @ 4000
6: 61 mph @ 3500

I hope that's all you need. The speed limit is 50 where I was testing so I wasn't going to try for 5000 rpm at 6th gear!

Extended out for 5000 RPM:
1: 38 mph
2: 47 mph
3: 57 mph
4: 66 mph
5: 79 mph
6: 87 mph

So for best efficiency, you probably want to stay in the following gears:
1: < 42 mph
2: < 52 mph
3: < 62 mph
4: < 72 mph
5: < 83 mph
6: > 83 mph

Minor deviations probably have little effect on efficiency, for example staying in 3rd gear for 55 mph but cracking the throttle open for a 65 mph pass would be just fine.

Edit: put another way

1: 7.6 mph / 1000 RPM
2: 9.4 mph / 1000 RPM
3: 11.4 mph / 1000 RPM
4: 13.2 mph / 1000 RPM
5: 15.8 mph / 1000 RPM
6: 17.4 mph / 1000 RPM

Final drive is 14 front : 48 rear, or 3.43 gearing. (Edit: Empulse R is 14 front : 38 rear. The 48 rear sprocket is from the Empulse specs page, maybe it is for the E1 Empulse).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:09:46 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/