Author Topic: Time for a new insurance company!  (Read 1682 times)

Ain

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a new insurance company!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 11:54:17 PM »
Quick update...  I ended up going with Progressive.  They already have the Empulse in their online quote tool (although there's a bug since it says to put "0" in for CC's on electrics, but I had to use "1" to get it to proceed - this was on advice from one of their agents).

At least they're a step of two ahead of other companies that had no idea what the Empulse is and freaked out when they heard it was electric - "we can't risk the liability".   :P
2013 Empulse R  (Delivered 12/7/12)
2009 BMW K1300S
2002 MV Agusta F4 Senna

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
I used to have Geico but switched to Allstate because it was cheaper.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
I went Progressive too...It wouldn't take 0 for cc (even though it says: if Electric, put 0)....I wish I had know about putting 1...I put 650, since it rides similar to a 650. I wonder if I would have gotten a cheaper rate with 1 in that box?

Gavin

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »
I went Progressive too...It wouldn't take 0 for cc (even though it says: if Electric, put 0)....I wish I had know about putting 1...I put 650, since it rides similar to a 650. I wonder if I would have gotten a cheaper rate with 1 in that box?

Yes, you would have gotten a cheaper rate if you put in 1. Their website is not great. It apparently calculates the price based on the cc, even though you select the make and model. I called to confirm that I should enter 1, and they said that's what I needed to do.

When I called a dealer, they had very little idea on how to process an electric bike and asked me what the cc equivalent would be. I ended up using the website directly since the number that the dealer came up with was much higher than I what I wanted to pay.
Richard #935 #595 #44

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »
I just added the Empulse to my motorcycle policy with Geico. My premium went up $13 a year for this second bike (basic coverage). When I gave the sales rep the VIN, it came up right away as a 2013 Empulse R. I asked her what she had listed for the displacement, and she said 270cc, IIRC. Sounds reasonable to me.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »
I just added the Empulse to my motorcycle policy with Geico. My premium went up $13 a year for this second bike (basic coverage). When I gave the sales rep the VIN, it came up right away as a 2013 Empulse R. I asked her what she had listed for the displacement, and she said 270cc, IIRC. Sounds reasonable to me.

What kind of coverage for $13/year?  Any multi-policy discounts?
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »

What kind of coverage for $13/year?  Any multi-policy discounts?

Just the basic as I don't carry comprehensive. I don't think I have multi-policy discounts, but this policy already had a another bike on it. Adding additional bikes with basic coverage is only a little extra each year. Now If I add comprehensive to the Empulse, it's going to go up by about $400 a year.