Author Topic: Oil Change  (Read 6153 times)

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oil Change
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »
So you're saying a quart could be as much as 10 oz too much?  That's surprising.  I put a quart in at 600 and called it good.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »
Here is the e-mail chain...So fill until oil comes out of the site screw with it on the side stand, on a center stand, or only put in 1 liter? Obviously you can see that I had way more than 1L in the transmission, which makes me wonder whether water is getting in...

Sorry for the multiple pics...apparently converting a multiple page .pdf to .jpg isn't so easy on a mac.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

+progress-

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • EVinceApparel.com
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »
I ran into a similar issue.
For my first oil change I followed the manuel's instructions, filled it on the side stand and waited for the oil to seep out of the check hole.  At 1 liter no seeping......poured in a little more and waited..... a little more.....  and by the time the oil was seeping I was at about a liter and a half!!  It didn't feel right as the book states it should take about 1 liter.  I pushed the bike upright slightly and drained some oil out but It was probably still a little too full.

For the next oil change I poured in the entire 1 liter bottle and that was it!

I thought the seep hole in combination with the bike on the side stand was an odd idea.  Not only is it difficult to find ground that is truly level but the angle that the bike leans is also dependent on how you set the bike on the stand.
2013 Empulse R  #80  <RIP> *1st in Seattle
2016 Victory Empulse TT #176 *1st in Seattle 8/30/18 - In shop for warranty motor replacement

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
When I talked to Adam, he said just drain and put a quart back in. You'll be fine. A quart is close enough to a liter.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
Just an update on the swarf phenomenon: I just did my 12K oil change and there was a tiny amount of soft debris on the magnet in the drain plug. It just covered the end of the magnet surface and projected up maybe 1/2 of a mm. Looks like things have broken in.

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2015, 10:33:39 PM »
I just did my 3K oil change today.  It was definitely time, yuck!  Looks like it had 1 quart installed before as it did not quite refill my 1L bottle with waste oil.  It looked almost like silver paint when it was draining into the pan.  Some fine metal fuzz on the drain plug, but no worse than I expected.  This also gave me a chance to clean off underside of my bike which had a bit of chain cast off spatter on things.

Thank you guys for your previous experience, using the vent tube seemed to work out pretty well compared to trying to use the fill hole.  Had I just gone off the manual, I would have most likely overfilled trying to use the indicator hole while on the side stand.  That seemed really odd, but that how I had interpreted the manual.

On my test ride following the oil change, I noticed it was a bit quieter and the clutch felt smoother.