Author Topic: Stoplight Sensors  (Read 719 times)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Stoplight Sensors
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:25:44 AM »
I'm curious as to whether all of the conductive material in the electric bikes will make them more likely to trip stoplight sensors, so we aren't stuck like our all-aluminum ICE bikes would be. On the flip side, I don't carry my toll-way transponder on my bike, and it rarely trips the toll sensors so I don't get charged tolls 4 out of 5 passes. Both use inductive loops to sense vehicles. Because of the tolls, riding my Empulse to work will likely be more expensive than my SV. Granted, Illinois is planning on going to photo sensing for tolls and doing away with transponders entirely, so the ICE motorcycle advantage wouldn't last for too much longer.

So what is everyone else experiencing?
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Stoplight Sensors
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
I have occasional problems with some stoplight sensors on the Zero. The Empulse might do a bit better because of mass, but there will probably still be some sensors that are tricky.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:52 AM »
Inductive sensors will not react to magnetic fields - such as those rabbit-foot "good luck" magnets sold in the back of motorcycle magazines. I worked for a city engineering department for 35 years and I once asked our signal maintenance crews how they checked for proper operation of their traffic signal sensors.  (The State requires their contractors to use a test moped to adjust the sensitivity of new controllers.)  Once installed these induction loops and their sensitivity to vehicles get out of whack all the time.  What our crews did was to throw a metal shovel on top of the loops and if that triggered the signals then all was well.  Unfortunately many motorcycles with aluminum wheels make less of an impression on the loops than a steel shovel.  (My Triumph, with its heavy steel rims, will set off most every signal.)

Sometimes deploying the side stand over a loop can help - otherwise you may have to either run the signal and hope for the best, or make a right turn and then a U-turn. Getting off the bike and pushing the ped signal button usually works, but that has its own hazards and could be illegal.

However, if you find a signal that will not detect your motorcycle, your best approach will be to contact the local DPW and they might readjust the signal detection loops - depending upon how they feel about motorcycle owners in general.

The latest detectors that are being deployed, for both new signal installations and to replace old induction loops are video detectors.  These use a video camera to look for vehicles that are waiting at the intersection.  They tend to work very well and can even detect bicycle riders.  Plus, they are cheaper to maintain, as they don't have loops that can fail, or be cut or damaged when repaving the intersection or installing new underground utilities.  Every signal detection device has its pros and cons, but the latest video detection systems seem to have a lot of pros.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
My Empulse is tripping all the sensors, except the one outside my complex which isn't triggered by cars sometimes.

I have found some hints: ride over the sensors at 10 mph or less and aim for the lines that are inline with your line of travel, not across the wires.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:30:58 PM by Shinysideup »

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »
It's a catch 22. I'd like it to trigger at stoplights, but I don't want it to trigger the tolls. There's enough traffic around me that I've only had to run lights maybe a half a dozen times since moving here three years ago, and most of that was really early morning. But I use the toll roads almost everyday.

I wasn't thinking so much of the magnetic field, but all the copper, cabling, and electrical components that would trigger the sensors.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »
When I first got my Enertia, I thought that it would do better at tripping lights too. No dice for reasons explained by Richard. :) Luckily, North Carolina allows motorcyclists to run lights when they're stuck there. I think there's a certain time period that you must wait before running it though...maybe 3 minutes.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
Missouri has a "dead on red" law. An unfortunate name for this law, but it allows me to run a few red lights after I wait for a "reasonable" time.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki