Author Topic: Cold weather charging  (Read 1919 times)

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
Cold weather charging
« on: February 23, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »
I've posted about cold weather charging before, but it keeps bothering me.
Charging right after a ride is apparently the solution to avoid "BATTERIES TOO COLD" messages, because the batteries are still warm then. But even then, when charging in temperatures just above 0ºC, I can't get my bike charged to 100% because the batteries will cool down even while charging. And after an hour or so, charging stops and the "BATTERIES TOO COLD" message comes back. It doesn't seem to help to just leave the bike connected to the wall socket and let the battery heating system do it's job. The manual says to charge between temperatures of 0ºC (32ºF) and 45ºC (113ºF).
Maybe I'm the only idiot driving (and charging) in freezing winter conditions, or does someone else have experience with cold weater charging? Could it help to cover my bike to keep it warmer while charging? Any other ideas?

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Cold weather charging
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »
An insulated cover could help.

What temperatures are you charging in?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »
I've posted about cold weather charging before, but it keeps bothering me.
Charging right after a ride is apparently the solution to avoid "BATTERIES TOO COLD" messages, because the batteries are still warm then. But even then, when charging in temperatures just above 0ºC, I can't get my bike charged to 100% because the batteries will cool down even while charging. And after an hour or so, charging stops and the "BATTERIES TOO COLD" message comes back. It doesn't seem to help to just leave the bike connected to the wall socket and let the battery heating system do it's job. The manual says to charge between temperatures of 0ºC (32ºF) and 45ºC (113ºF).
Maybe I'm the only idiot driving (and charging) in freezing winter conditions, or does someone else have experience with cold weater charging? Could it help to cover my bike to keep it warmer while charging? Any other ideas?

Frank - You're definitely not an idiot.  You just need a firmware update for your batteries that addresses some limitations (which you have a knack for uncovering) in the algorightm that controls the heaters.  This update is in test on the engineering fleet currently and will eventually be rolled out to the service group to update the bikes in the field like yours.  I just hope we can get it released before the winter is over while it will still be useful to you! 

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »
Meanwhile, to me it doesn't seem like it could hurt anything to have a cover over the bike, maybe with an aluminized side inward. Maybe a sleeping bag or blanket over the cover. Adding a 100 watt light bulb on the floor might be enough heat, if it were trapped by the cover.

If this doesn't work, you could try putting it in bed with you. ::)

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 02:45:31 PM »
Frank - You're definitely not an idiot.  You just need a firmware update for your batteries that addresses some limitations (which you have a knack for uncovering) in the algorightm that controls the heaters. 
Thanks Brian, sorry for uncovering all kinds of issues. I'm just trying to enjoy my bike as much as it lets me. I really love it but it hasn't loved me back as much as I hoped. I assume all those things will be fixed eventually. It's good to know that this issue will be addressed in a future update.

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:35:23 AM »
Hi Frank, Brian

I now also got the problem.

Yesterday evening I plugged in at 46% battery level, but today morning I got the message "too cold" (at 10 degrees?) but the real problem to me is that the battery went down top 25%!

So, if there is an update of the Software possible, pls do not forget me. Vienna is a nice place for a trip  :D

- Rano

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 09:56:03 AM »
I know this is the Enertia forum, but I've left my Empulse outside, not connected to the charger in sub 20F (-5C) temps for 8+ hours and did not experience any drop in SOC - not even 1%.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Rano

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 10:23:31 AM »
I also have no drop in SOC if the enertia is not connected.
But thats totally different: 10 degrees, 12 hours plugged, and SOC dropped.

It has been the first time, and right now it got charged completly.  ;) So everyting fine now.

Think it will take some time ´til the machines take over control.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:08:50 PM by Arnman »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
Thanks Brian, sorry for uncovering all kinds of issues. I'm just trying to enjoy my bike as much as it lets me. I really love it but it hasn't loved me back as much as I hoped. I assume all those things will be fixed eventually. It's good to know that this issue will be addressed in a future update.
Don't apologize, every issue that you uncover quickly is an issue that can be quickly addressed. I'm sure your reports are very valuable to Brammo.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/