Author Topic: Out of State Registration  (Read 985 times)

travel4nutin

• View Profile
Out of State Registration
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »
Since there are more states then dealerships at this point, more of us will have to make a trip to the DMV to get plates for our bikes.  In Illinois I ran into a problem which turn out to really be a need to educate the folks in the particular office I went to.

I had given them the make and model of the vehicle and it did not come up in their database so more detailed questions were asked.  When the question of how many CC's came up I had answered that the bike was electric but was equivalent to more than 150cc, knowing that this would place it in the MCY class and not moped.

This had caused several folks in the office to scratch their heads.  Then more questions related to battery capacity, range, and top speed.  Based on the documentation they felt it should be classified as a EV car!
They couldn't be sure until they contacted Diana McSee at the Secretary of States office.  Unfortunately, that office was closed on Saturday and the DMV was closed on Monday.

I spoke to her yesterday and sure enough she agreed with my original assumption.  I'm headed to the DMV today if this snow storm will allow it.

So the lesson here is in IL make sure you register your bike during Secretary of State Office hours so that you can reach Diana McSee @ 217-782-2284.  Her office hours are M-F 8:00am to 4:30pm.  I'm also going to find out what it will take to get a vehicle placed in the database.

93 Suzuki Katana
Empulse #613 #45

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Out of State Registration
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »
Thanks for this, Travel.
I'm thinking that it might be helpful to create a subforum under the general heading of "Registration" and have a thread for each state or country.

A contact name/number/office would be helpful, too.

Anyone else think that this is either too much, not worth it, or hellz yeah?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:37:13 PM »
hellz yeah!

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
Or maybe a wiki page?  Or a thread for feedback + a wiki page when the details are hashed out...?
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
You mean, something like this:

http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Registering_your_electric_bike

Notes:
  • I presume that if there is a dealer present in the state, then there will be no problems registering electric bikes.
  • If anybody else wants to recount the ease or difficulties that they have had registering their bikes, please write about it here, and we can update the table. (@implovator, How was it for you in SC?)
Richard #935 #595 #44

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:58:11 PM »
I had zero problems registering my Zero last spring in Alabama. I bet most of the issues will be sorted out in a few months; the early adopters will catch all the snags though.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
I had zero problems registering my Zero last spring in Alabama. I bet most of the issues will be sorted out in a few months; the early adopters will catch all the snags though.

Here in NC, both of my Enertia and Empulse registrations and titling went flawless. And they say we're backwards in the South. Ha! :) Now my inspection on the Enertia was a different story. The inspector could not figure out if it had 1, 2, 3, or 4 exhaust pipes. Those were his only options. :(

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Out of State Registration
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
Thanks, travel. Illinois SOS is pretty awful. They wouldn't let me register an out of state trailer that does not have a title. I just keep the paperwork that says it has a lifelong registration from Minnesota with me whenever I use it. Did you go to the SOS on 75th?  I hope they remember you when I go tomorrow!
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

travel4nutin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:25:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  That wiki came up pretty quick.  I hope others get some use out of it.  If reduces at least one extra trip to the DMV it will be worth it.   

Sopfu, I did go to 75th street.  After my third visit they began to recognize me.  At least that whole ordeal is over now I just have to wait for better weather.  What did that groundhog do? :D

93 Suzuki Katana
Empulse #613 #45

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 01:35:28 AM »
Hmmm...  I wonder if this works...

Gee, I wish there was a Wiki page that covered the meaning of Life, The Universe, and Everything.  And also the true Secret to Happiness...

<clicks on the Wiki header link>
<clicks>
<clicks>
<clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks>
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:37:24 AM »
Hmmm...  I wonder if this works...

Gee, I wish there was a Wiki page that covered the meaning of Life, The Universe, and Everything.  And also the true Secret to Happiness...

<clicks on the Wiki header link>
<clicks>
<clicks>
<clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks><clicks>

Could there be one for a hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy?    :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.