Author Topic: Log Inspector  (Read 1441 times)

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« on: February 27, 2013, 02:36:45 AM »
I've been working on a JavaFX program to load and view the logs from the Empulse log drive under the seat.  I've gotten to a pre-Alpha stage and put some source code up on bitbucket and I'd like a small number of volunteers who are capable of downloading their logs and using a program with a minimal UI without poking anyone's eyes out.  If you are interested, PM me and I'll point you to the sources and executable so we can start brainstorming how to make this a useful tool.

I'd love to see some volunteers with Java programming skills, but adventurous non-programmer end-users would also be welcome in limited quantities...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

FrankH

• Empulse Guru
  • First Enertia+ in the Netherlands!
    • View Profile
Re: Log Inspector
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »
I don't have an Empulse but I do have a lot of Enertia Plus driving log files that end with an error message. No idea how similar those log files are, but I'd like to try it out...

BTW I'm not a Java programmer but I code for a living (mostly ActionScript and some Objective C) so I think I have the tools to run and test your code.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:15:50 AM by FrankH »

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:44:03 AM »
I'm down to test it out, I'll have my Empulse in another couple hours.

NutsnVolts

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
I'm down to test it out, I'll have my Empulse in another couple hours.

So pumped to see you finally thrash around on an El Moto!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »
I just got the bike, see my "took the plunge" thread... I will be writing up an extensive review over the next few days.... It may make it into the next EVAA mag.

As far as the Java program, let me know, PM me and we'll exchange email and I can test.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
I've been playing with flar's log viewer, and graphing out some of the Data values. Check it out.

Here's my guess for what these lines mean:
  • Data 9 - Odometer
  • Data 5 - Some state values (0-2)
  • Data 4 - RPM? (0-108) 
  • Data 13 - Throttle pos? (0-27)
  • Data 2 -  Water Temp? (69-86)
  • Data 3 -  Motor Temp? (65-123)
Notes:
- Butt Dyno - I was trying out acceleration along a deserted stretch of road (that happened to be in front of a Harley Davidson place!)
- Top Speed A - I got on the highway (at an exit I'll call 'X') and went to the first exit (call is 'Y'). (X to Y)
- Top Speed B - Went back, passed the exit X, and took the next exit ('Z'). (Y to Z)
- Top Speed C - Went back again, and exited at X again. (Z to X)
- There was a fairly strong tailwind in one direction (I think going from Y to Z).
- Notice that Data 4 is not 0 near the start. That's probably when I rolled the bike out of the garage.

I'm probably wrong about most of these values. Anybody want to give me some better info?

(By the way, all you PC users out there are hosed since the USB chip is formatted to Apple's file system. Lucky for me my fiancee has an Apple!)
Richard #935 #595 #44

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »
<jaw on floor>

Wow FreepZ, you've been busy with my code!  I'll take a look at that source code fork you made and we can start integrating it in if we can verify and name some of the data points.  Any luck on finding speedo?

BTW, my drive read just fine on my PC.  I didn't check the formatting, but I'm running Windows 7 x64 and I don't think it can read the Mac file system out of the box so mine must have been formatted with FAT or NTFS...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
The speedo is probably not be recorded since speed can be calculated with the odometer and time stamp. Also, the engineers are probably more interested in motor speed, voltages, temperatures, etc. than actual vehicle speed.
I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find the current gear number in there. Some of values go all over the place without any apparent rhyme or reason.

My changes to your program are a total hack, but perhaps we can get to a point where anybody can use your program to view those data graphs, and then more people can help to figure out what those number mean.
Richard #935 #595 #44