Author Topic: City Bike magazine reviews the Empulse R  (Read 1188 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
City Bike magazine reviews the Empulse R
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
I just picked up the March issue of City Bike, a free San Francisco monthly newspaper-style magazine. The new 2013 Empulse R is reviewed in a full-page article on page 19. (Unfortunately, it didn't make the front cover like my Zero did last April.  The cover story is labeled “Splitting Headache”, about motorcyclists splitting lanes in California.) The article details the magazine's impressions of the staff's ride on the Empulse R around the Bay Area.  It was not as positive as I had expected. Here are some excerpts from the article:

One review was written by Gabe Ets-Hokin, the magazine's editor-in-Chief, (titled “Lost in Transmission”) and the other review was written by Alan Lapp, Art Director, (titled “Assault with a battery”).

Gabe praises the Empulse for its top speed, mid-range power, good handling and decent range. However, he says that it still does not have enough range for sporting weekend rides and you may be disappointed. “Until range gets longer and charging stations become ubiquitous, electric vehicles are best for trips of defined range.”

Things get a little ugly when he starts talking about the gearbox:  “Which brings me to the gearbox. I don't get it. It's adds little to the experience, if you ask me. Neutral is in between second and third for some reason, but you don't really need neutral – the bike rolls freely in gear with the clutch engaged. Comes to think of it, you don't really need the clutch, either, although it does make getting under way smoother, a role throttle-management software handles on other e-bikes.  I found myself shifting out of habit, but it felt like I was playing a video game with a disconnected joystick. I'm sure if I was doing a trackday – or just spent a lot more time on the bike – I would start to figure out how to best use it, but my quick impression is Brammo should bin the clutch, make the transmission a two-speed (city and highway), and carve 40 pounds off the bike – or use the extra space and weight for more battery capacity.”

“So I am surprised I'm saying this, as I've been champing at the bit to ride this thing for years, but I found it to be too much like a conventional motorcycle. It''s 470 pounds, and though you don't really feel the weight most of the time – the CG is comically low, like a scooter's – you know it's there, which diminished the playful character of the electric motor
.”

Gabe finishes his review with:  “And it's really fun to ride, giving up little to any middleweight commuter I've ridden. Would it be a rational purchase? Not really. But what motorcycle really is?”

Alan Lapp says:  “It was disappointing how the motor controller – the computerized rain that examines rider input, and manages bike output – steps in and nannies all the fun out of having a clutch to play with. Should a rider try to do a wheelie (the motor is definitely powerful enough) by revving the motor and dumping the clutch, all that results is a lurch as the controller compensates to eradicate this hooliganism. 

Regarding the transmission, more oddness ensues: neutral is between 2nd and 3rd. The rations are very closely spaced, and launching the Empulse R in 1st gear results in satisfying acceleration. However, launching in 3rd or 4th gear does not blunt the acceleration very noticeably. I suspect that most riders will tire of the notchy, clunky shifting and leave it in 3rd around town, only shifting to 6th on the freeway
.”

Mr. Lap goes on to praise the Empulse's performance, ride, stability, handling and brakes and he says the “design is handsome”. He finishes his review with: “It seems to me that e-bikes are maturing rapidly, but are suffering some growing pains.”
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: City Bike magazine reviews the Empulse R
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
Haven't read the review...but from the quotes you posted, well it seems fair.

Not all bikes are for all people, and the Empulse is a bit unique and does have a bit of a learning curve.

It will be interesting to see, when I get mine, if I do the 3rd gear only in town...It would make her hella easy to drive...saving the clutch for the twisties...and 6th gear for the highway....

Eh, time will tell...

I do know that of course Brammo isn't sitting on their hands. improvement and changes are always being worked on by all the motorcycle companies...

Gavin

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »
Thanks for typing all that up, Richard.

Good point, Gavin. It was fair enough, but I can't disagree more with their negative feedback.

Maybe I'm just a bit of a fanboy, but I'm totally in love with transmission on an electric motor. I am shifting almost exactly like I would any ICE bike. The only difference is that I'm using 1st in some corners whereas I would never use it in a corner on one of my ICE bikes since they've all been twins. The real beauty of the transmission is that you can use it when you want...or you can ride all the way home from the local burger joint in a single gear while holding a milkshake in your left hand like I did tonight. I mean, home on guys; that's a huge PLUS!

I also thought it was weird that they said the low center of gravity was a detriment because it took the "fun" out of the bike. I suppose I'm just too much of a road/track guy, because I love the low center of gravity. I'm guessing that they're more hooligan/stunt/urban riders.

I find it interesting that they talk about dumping the clutch to wheelie it up to. A power wheelie uses torque. A clutched wheelie uses engine inertia. I doubt that the Empulse (or any electric bike) would ever be able to clutch up a wheelie, because there's virtually no intertia due to the low rotational mass of the engine. Heck, this whole transmission/clutch/electic thing is tough for me to get my head around...and I think about it all the time. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:41:57 PM by implovator »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:24:56 AM »
+1 on the reviewers' not spending enough time with the Empulse to really get it. At least he's honest enough to state that if he spent more time on the bike "I would start to figure out how to best use it."

+1 about the ridiculousness of carping about the low center of gravity and how that interferes with the "playful character of the electric motor", whatever that's supposed to mean. Actually Adam showed me where the center of mass is and it's pretty much the exact center of the bike. Heck this thing corners like it's glued on rails and he's quibbling about a low COG making it feel like a scooter? Well, sir, I have a very good scooter (TMax) and the Empulse out-corners it and provides way more "playfulness."

I really don't grasp the intent of his complaint that the Empulse is "too much like a conventional motorcyle." Because it has two wheels (very good wheels!) and brakes (very good brakes), and corners like nobody's business? What did he want that's lacking? To me his statement reads like he's saying something, but the something evaporates upon closer inspection. But of course, I'm not his editor!

At one point, Gabe says, “And it's really fun to ride, giving up little to any middleweight commuter I've ridden. Would it be a rational purchase? Not really. But what motorcycle really is?”

Of COURSE it's rational: it gives up little to any middleweight commuter he's ever ridden, and my cost in commuting 40 miles a day is about $15 a month and a total absence of tuneups, plus I'm not creating toxic fumes for Gabe to breathe on his commute. Rational? Hell yes! Oh yeah, and "it's really fun to ride."

And of course it's not throttle management software that's cutting this dude out of his power wheelie jerkoff fun; it's simply that there's no significant rotational mass, even at 8000 rpm to pull the bike up. Rev the motor, pop the clutch and the bike soaks up what little momentum there is faster than any computer could react. You can just FEEL what's going on! He IS right in saying the software doesn't deliver enough power to do a wheelie. The EBoz wheelie was on a special machine with the current limiter softened to supply about 10% more juice. Personally, I think holding the power delivery to just short of wheelie-land is a GOOD idea. I see the squids doing their wheelies in the city all the time... NOT a great activity to live past 30!

After putting almost 2K miles on the Empulse, almost all in San Francisco, I'll say he's dead wrong about the transmission's ratios and the clutch. At first, I too, felt there were too many gears. The Empulse will, in time, simply change your relationship to rpm's and how motorcycles use them. Still, since I don't do more than 80 mph, five gears would suffice. The advantage of the gear ratios is that I can hold the bike in the economy zone of 5000 rpm at any speed above 38 mph. Also, in SF in particular, he should have appreciated the generous regen braking effect on the steep hills in 1st gear and Sport mode. Even on the steepest hills, it keeps me below 18 mph without braking. He couldn't have appreciated that if, as he says, he'd drive around in 3rd gear all the time in the city. He's likely a lot younger than I am, but I really dig the fact that I don't have to move out of 1st gear and use the clutch at every corner in the city; my left hand is way happier.

I don't know who calibrated his butt dyno, but I can easily tell the differences in Sport mode between the acceleration in the different gears. First-gear getaways are WAY nicer than 2nd or 3rd. And 6th is way too high for the highway unless he's breaking the speed limit. (While he wheelies? :o)

While range concerns will always be with us until graphene capacitors are in production, I disagree with his hypothesis that unless charging stations are ubiquitous, we will have to be satisfied with a defined-range ride. In my experience, all I need to know: "Is there an available charge station near where I want to go?" Did he look?

He closed with “It seems to me that e-bikes are maturing rapidly, but are suffering some growing pains.” I think he may be mistaking the industry's growing pains with the discomfort in truly opening his mind to exactly what fresh and practical and ethical and cost-effective and damned fun statement the Empulse makes, IF he had only ridden it long enough. At least he had fun!

(And Implovator thought HE was a fanboy!)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:30:47 AM by Shinysideup »

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
I've been in contact with these folks about this.  I have been talking to Kenyon at City bike.  I originally just sent the link to Mark Gardner's article about why Brammo chose a 6 speed.  But I didn't send enough context.  They had no idea the hornets nest they stirred, and I most definitely didn't play it up.  Apparently Gabe has ridden every new model motorcycle since 2005. I have just e-mailed Gabe and ask permission to "reprint" his article on my blog so everyone can read the whole thing.  Cross your fingers.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:43:31 AM »
You have my permission to send him my hornet's nest above with the offer that I'll come by his office sometime and sit down for a civil discussion of my 2K miles of daily commuting experience so far and my impressions of how best to use the gearbox. That way he could fill up some column inches with a snappy sequel. Or maybe just the offer to come by without sending him my tirade! (Fanboy has settled down now ::))

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:31 PM »
He doesn't let blogs repost his whole articles, but the full thing is here: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/02/md-double-take-2013-brammo-empulse-r/

He said I could do 100-300 word response, which I thought was cool.

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
After reading the article again, I didn't feel that the sentiments were that negative. I did feel that the reviewers weren't as open-minded as they could have been. They just seemed like petrol-heads, which is something I can understand. Interestingly enough they only had moderate things to say about the handling, whereas I'd be gushing about the handling. Any serious enthusiast has got to recognize that the Empulse is really something special in that category.

Putting my loyalties aside, I think I'd come to the same conclusion, which is they didn't do a very thorough and unbiased review. It was more of a quick opinion piece, which is totally fine. I could care less. But then I made the mistake of reading their comments. OMG! I mean, I love my freedom of speech as much as the next guy, but have a little respect for yourselves and considering keeping your traps shut when you obviously have no idea what you're even +1'ing about.