Author Topic: Recommended Charging Habits  (Read 794 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Recommended Charging Habits
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »
When I owned my Enertia, I left it plugged up 24/7. Sure it draws a little extra juice for the several extra hours of battery balancing that is does after is reachs 99% SoC, but it's not much when compared to how much power it draws when it's charging up to that 99%. With my Empulse I follow the same pattern of leaving it plugged up as much as possible. I've found that it's been beneficial in these cold riding months as a means of keeping my battery pack "warm". I only realized this benefit today at work since I started using the somewhat crowded Level 2 stations. Today, I plugged up at the office and so as soon as I hit 100% I unplugged and moved it to another parking spot in an effort to free up a charging station for one of the 14 Nissan Leaves at my office. My Empulse sat unplugged for the next 5 hours.

When I left work, I saw that regen was disabled since my pack was cold. I also noticed that my pack was at 86% SoC. It dropped over 10% due to temperature. I'm certainly not surprised, but it did get me thinking about the NYT vs. Tesla spat where the "reporter" left his car unplugged overnight and found that the cold morning had sapped a considerable amount of his charge. Anyone who's been following EVs and battery developments would expect this, but it is certainly a shock to an inexperienced user.

Anyhow, what I really wanted to get at is, what are the recommended habits for Empulse owners? The manual says that you can simply unplug when the charging is complete or at the desired SoC and that it should be "left plugged in periodically" for battery leveling. I just planned to keep mine plugged in 24/7 until someone advises me otherwise. On the other hand, you have Leaf owners who quote a recommendation from Nissan that they charge to no more than 80% most of the time to ensure proper battery pack life. So that's got me second guessing my plug up for 24/7 plan.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Recommended Charging Habits
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »
The manual says that if the bike is going to be stored for more than two weeks, the battery State of Charge should be between 50% and 70%. (Page 27)

I generally keep the bike plugged in unless it's more than half charged and I don't expect to be riding for a few days. I.e. I plug in if it's mostly empty or I plan to ride it soon.
Richard #935 #595 #44

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:26:07 AM »
I've been leaving mine unplugged especially if I am only at 70-80% SOC. 

For my Roadster and also for the Model S, they found that the battery life was increased when kept at a 80% SOC.  That is why you have to specify that you are going to charge in "range mode" (100% SOC) as it will decrease battery life.

I guess when I read the manual that is what stuck in my head.  My bike is usually indoors in the garage so I haven't had to worry about a cold day.  Plus I live in Texas where it is generally very warm.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
When I left work, I saw that regen was disabled since my pack was cold. I also noticed that my pack was at 86% SoC. It dropped over 10% due to temperature. I'm certainly not surprised, but it did get me thinking about the NYT vs. Tesla spat where the "reporter" left his car unplugged overnight and found that the cold morning had sapped a considerable amount of his charge. Anyone who's been following EVs and battery developments would expect this, but it is certainly a shock to an inexperienced user.

What's worse is that normal "50% SOC" would drop down to 36% SOC in the same conditions.

Anyhow, what I really wanted to get at is, what are the recommended habits for Empulse owners? The manual says that you can simply unplug when the charging is complete or at the desired SoC and that it should be "left plugged in periodically" for battery leveling. I just planned to keep mine plugged in 24/7 until someone advises me otherwise. On the other hand, you have Leaf owners who quote a recommendation from Nissan that they charge to no more than 80% most of the time to ensure proper battery pack life. So that's got me second guessing my plug up for 24/7 plan.

I'd like to see something similar to the 2013 Nissan Leaf and the Tesla Roadster, Model S .. a "max life" charge setting at 90% or so and a max range charge setting at 100%. Not quite the same battery chemistries, perhaps not as necessary for Brammo and Zero?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/