Author Topic: Mines Road!  (Read 1600 times)

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Mines Road!
« on: March 11, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »
For those of you not in the bay area, Mines Rd is a rather remote stretch of highway in the east bay.  (One of the only roads I've seen with its own page of Yelp reviews.)  For a map, see here.

A friend and I left Livermore at about 2 PM Saturday with the goal of at least making it to the Junction -- an excellent roadhouse bar in the middle of nowhere, if you are into roadhouse bars in the middle of nowhere.  We successfully navigated the 1-(total)-lane-at-times road roughly 30 miles south (arriving at about 57% SOC) . . . to discover that none of the exterior outlets at the restaurant were functional.  They'd either just not power anything, or the charger's 'Power Fault' light would turn on and no juice would go to the bike.  After much talking and explanation to the owners/operators of the Junction, they all of a sudden seemed fairly excited about installing some kind of charging station out there.

After spending a couple hours eating delicious buffalo burgers and answering questions for the requisite small crowd of curious folk, we decided to head back to Livermore as it was getting pretty late.  If I'd been able to charge there we probably would have headed on through to San Jose, but I didn't want to risk it.  The other plan was to charge at the top of Mt. Hamilton, which has the Lick Observatory at the top of it (and according to some Leaf drivers is EV-friendly), but it was getting fairly late.  One of these upcoming weekends I'm going to tackle it again and see if I can do the entire loop.

I did make it back to Livermore with about 18% left!

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Mines Road!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:32:17 PM »
Mines Road will test your suspension and handling.  The first time I rode the Road, was 50 years ago and I was riding a Vespa 125.  I rode down El Camino Real, from South San Francisco, to Highway 130 in east San Jose, went over Mt. Hamilton and down Mines Road to Livermore and back home via Highway 84.  If you think that area is deserted now, you should have seen it then. Nothing but cows, potholes and desolation. With my little gas tank, I thought I would never make it back to civilization.  I don't recall seeing the Junction restaurant back then.

I think the reason that the Observatory likes EV's is that they are quiet and the astronomers like to sleep during the day and are not thrilled about the "loud pipes save lives" lifestyle passing by. 
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mines Road!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
Nice write up!