Author Topic: Wet Weather Riding  (Read 1124 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Wet Weather Riding
« on: March 12, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »
I rode the Empulse into work today right after a rainstorm. It's got little to no frontal coverage, but that was to be expected. What really surprised me was how ineffective the hugger is for keeping the spray off of my back. My courier bag's exterior was completely soaked. Water was blowing up around the seat soaking my ass. Come to think of it, maybe the hugger's wide enough for the rear tire but it's not wide enough for my ass? :)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Wet Weather Riding
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »
may i introduce you to the Rain Poncho...one size fits most and you get to look like batman riding down the rainy roads...

make sure you sit on the back of it or it flaps around and doesn't stop the spray all over your backside...

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:57:31 AM »
or just wear a tent...

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
The solution to all of these problems is getting an Aerostich!  Wearing one on the Empulse I get to look AND sound like I am from space.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »
just go full bubble...

g

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 06:45:37 PM »
LOL

Not really a problem, just an observation. I've got tons of great gear. I just didn't anticipate the amount of spray, and I lived in FL during my sportbike youth. I've ridden all kinds of fender eliminators and huggers, but this spray was pretty epic. Oh well, out to the garage to clean the bike up. :)

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »
I too was surprised at the amount of spray that covered the back of my wife riding pillion. The tail-light support home seems to do very little at blocking what the hugger obviously misses.

For just me, no problem: waterproof Atlantis 4 jacket and pants and waterproof Kreiga pack. But still, ya gotta ask: Why bother with fenders when they work like these?

Oh, yeah, they look cool, I guess. I saw a Ducati Diavel with front fenders that looked like they were designed to keep the brake lines dry and nothing else. Ah, fashion!

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
I think that spray pattern in the wet is why you see those big plastic "possum scrapers" over the rear portion of the rear tire on European motorcycles, such as Ducati's and some BMW models - especially ones that have not been "Americanized". The "scraper" looks ugly, but it is likely functional in controlling the spray pattern - including keeping the spray and other debris from hitting the vehicle following you.  But here in America, no one rides in the rain, so those things are removed by either the manufacturer for this market, or the owner when he notices it.   ;)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
just move to the southwest...year round riding and what, 4 inches of rain all last year...

i don't have any raingear...heck I don't own an umbrella...

G

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »
Bad news for the Dutch  :( where it rains more than anybody needs it to.
Last Saturday it rained for 24 hours uninterrupted, which was an official record.

Please provide the heavy rain fenders as an option when you start shipping in the EU
Once you go EV, gas is history!

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:08:57 PM »
But here in America, no one rides in the rain

No, just the squidly fair weather California riders. :D

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:44 PM »
I guess I'm a squidly all-weather California rider. No car. Ride 5 days a week all year round. So, c'mon Brammo: wind tunnels are great for your design team, but how about some spray booths?!