Author Topic: Test Ride First Impressions  (Read 2069 times)

Empulsive

• May all have happiness and the causes of happiness
    • View Profile
Test Ride First Impressions
« on: March 15, 2013, 11:40:52 PM »
Since I'm not yet an owner, but very interested I scheduled a test ride today at BMW San Diego. I currently ride a 2007 Ducati Multistrada 1100S. I have owned everything from dirt bikes to supermotos Hayabusa, Aprilia RSV 1000 to Hypermotard. I have been riding since 9 years old and am now 43. Just to provide a base about myself.
Once I arrived I noticed that the Empulse was ready to go. It's size was smaller than I thought from photos and videos. I'm 6', 182, but my mind is wide open for the experience of a non ICE moto. Scott shows me some key points of the bike, starts it which is very odd to know its "running" but silent. After reading some posts here I decide to click into 2nd for take off since I don't know what to expect from 1st. Gave it some throttle and off I go. Simple, rip through the gears to 6th and up to 77 no problem. Come up to a stop and go to blip then throttle and grab a downshift. Oops don't need to do that. Come to a stop. what, no clutch or neutral needed to sit at the light. Sooo strange. I notice the car next to me looking at the bike trying to figure it out. Oh, from take off to this point I did notice the infamous "clunk" of the gearbox. Green light, off I go again. In 1st this time I want to feel the full effect of the torque. Impressive for sure. No disappointments  from the power train side. After 3rd gear I realize that a softer shift eliminated the "clunk" completely. It seems that everything works better when done with a feather light touch. The bike feels even better. After about 5 miles I notice that the riding position is not so great for me. It would be fine for a 25 mile commute probably, but I ride 55 miles one way. I'm not sure my knees would be happy after that long. The seat is comfortable, but like stated by others doesn't allow for much shifting around. I was impressed at the wind diversion at 80. I thought for sure my body would take a hammering from wind. That wasn't that case and nice. The bike is very at home in turns that allow you to flick it and power out from the apex. It felt wonderful and would be very fun in the canyon passes here in SoCal. I noticed that on straights and where there are pretty rough spots in the road, that the suspension was a bit rough. I just think that the dealer didn't have the set up done properly or had too much air in the tires. Wow, you get a lot of looks on this bike. It's like you have an exotic sports car. I managed to get to up to 95mph. Just wasn't enough road where I was at to go any faster than that. It holds its own fine and still had more power left.

The only downsides for me are: riding position, no bags, wondering if the range would allow me to get to work on a single charge. (45 miles highway, 10 miles city) could use a windscreen for the amount of highway time. A little wider handlebars.

Overall, I was very impressed, I wish Brammo would have built it to the size of a super bike, but I'm sure the reasons for the design are for range and other purposes.

If the price was $13k I would buy one, but at $19 and change. What the dealer sticker was I just can't justify the purchase. He also told me the batteries are probably good for 5 years if you rode it every day and cycled the batteries from full to empty twice a day. And the replacement cost is $2k per battery x 7= $14k. Ouch. I know that by that time batteries will be better and less, but planning for what is known today makes it a bit scary to own. That is more than a 5 year service on a 348 Ferrari.

Oh, didn't realize that I forgot to ask if I was in econo or sport mode when I left. Scott forgot to tell me about it. Is there a way to tell? I was able to go above 5k rpm so is that sport mode?

I would be interested in comments from existing owners on what specifics led you to your purchase.

Thanks for reading and keep the rubber side down..

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:54:18 PM by Empulsive »
Current bike: 2007 Ducati Multistrada S

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Test Ride First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:51:23 AM »
Oh, didn't realize that I forgot to ask if I was in econo or sport mode when I left. Scott forgot to tell me about it. Is there a way to tell? I was able to go above 5k rpm so is that sport mode?

The display would have had a 'SPORT' on it in Sport mode.  Both modes have the full rev range, but Sport has more power and reaches peak power earlier in the revs, among other differences.  I would certainly hope the salesperson put it in Sport for a test ride.

Note that the demo bike I rode in SF was a pre-production model that apparently did not yet have the two different modes (and I believe was in perma-Sport, without saying so on the display?), so who knows.

I would be interested in comments from existing owners on what specifics led you to your purchase.

There are inevitably a myriad of strange reasons that probably set most of us here down the path that ended up at Empulse ownership.  Speaking strictly for myself though, it basically boils down to:

• Sounds awesome
  • Rides awesome
  • Looks awesome

There's a whole host of additional bonuses,* like getting to support a fantastic crew of crazy Oregonian motorcycle nerds trying to do some great new things.  Also green flashy KITT lights.

The ergos on the bike are pretty perfect for me though.  I was kind of in the market for a naked middleweight sport bike anyway (Street Triple, 690 Duke, etc), and the Empulse just happened to magically appear.  Honestly, if it had been released as the initial concept was (i.e. with the clip-ons and single seat) I probably would have endeavored to modify the bike to be . . . . exactly as it is now?  I've put 2000 miles on the thing, and the only stuff I've changed has been softening the suspension and adjusting the brake lever inwards.

I probably will always keep a gas bike in the garage though, mainly for long trips.  Actually, I have a 2006 Multistrada 620 serving that purpose currently.  But as it is, my commute round-trip is about 30 miles -- and that means I get to gleefully rip to and from the office with an appalling lack of throttle restraint -- and I don't even need to charge at work!

I also did go into this being very much aware that this bike will probably be totally obsolete in two or three years.  But haha I just cannot bring myself to care, mostly for the reasons listed above.  Frankly it's probably a good thing it can only go 100mph; it decreases the likelihood of me crashing in spectacular fashion while trying to wring more glorious TIE fighter noise from the go tube.

*Other bonuses include but are not limited to:
 -- Startling Leaf-driving yuppies at charging stations
 -- Confusing your insurance company
 -- Confusing your local DMV
 -- Annoying your motorcycle friends by waving "look, no hand!" while clutchlessly rolling away from a stoplight
 -- Having a weirder motorcycle than the next guy (yes, even that one guy with the MZ)
 -- Startling pedestrians in crosswalks
 -- Revving the whine-o-meter suggestively at girls in crosswalks
 -- Secretly hoping to get pulled over for not having an exhaust
 -- Listening to the Tron soundtrack while riding at night
 -- Unleashing all the smugness of an electric vehicle multiplied by all the smugness of lanesplitting
 -- Making even more fun of the 'loud pipes save lives' people

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
Jeff,  best response ever!!!

I'm 5'6 and was also looking for something like a triumph street triple so this bike was perfect for me.  I like the fit and drive so far but got the tinkering bug and have clip ons coming.

It really is a great ride.

Empulsive, I own a Tesla Roadster.  I love the instant torque, "silent" go!  (seriously, you gun it and it does make a sound but doesn't cause the cops to turn their heads to single you out).  The Empulse R is the same.  Love the street fighter looks, cornering, and same performance.  Cost is high, just like what you get for the Roadster but you also know you are one of the first into this new tech.  I could list more reasons that got me into the bike but best reflects my thoughts EXACTLY.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »
Gah, Jeff has made me both super excited about the bike on its way to me, and super sad that it isn't here yet for me to ride

At 6 foot even and liking to move my rider position around some, the TTX seat mod might be one of the first things I do...but dang am I eager to ride

Gavin

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:14:42 PM »
just got chased down by a guy in a big truck asking me "is that electric??!!"  The light turned green and I nodded to him and all I hear him scream is "that is the coolest thing ever!!!!!"

great bike and ride today

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
I had the greatest old guy moment: a lanky college kid on a cobbled Japanese cruiser bike and a football-looking helmet is stopped at a light outside a local college. One of those kinds of kids that ya just gotta like in all his innocence and wonder.

I pull up with my inside tinted visor down. He takes one look, pauses,  and then asks, "Is that electric?"

With my best Steve McQueen minimalist all-but-imperceptible nod, I reply, "Yep," realizing fully that he doesn't know jack about McQueen. I feel like I should have a toothpick in my mouth.

He studies the Empulse a bit, then asks, "Is it quick?" I pause for dramatic effect, then respond with an absolutely identical nod, "Yep." At that moment, the light turns green and I blast away from him up a long two-block stretch, while he turns right.

Talk about smugness factor! And I'm sure he'll want to pursue what he just experienced online after seeing the nameplate. Gawd, I luv this bike!

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:14:03 PM »

I too drove the same test ride bike at the very same dealer - just before deciding to accept one of the first Empulses to come into San Diego. You can definitely tell if you are in sport mode besides the "sport" display on the dash. Rolling back on the throttle will kick in much more regeneration. That is so you can ride those "twisty "roads and not have to use your brakes as much.
When I first picked up my bike, it was in sport mode and I had to go home and read the manual to figure out how to change modes. Then I e-mailed the BMW salesman (different guy) how to switch modes (he did not know how to change modes either - now he does).
The manual also recommends not going over 3,500 rpm or in sport mode during break in time.
I got 62 miles of mixed driving (city and highway) and still had 48% battery on my last charge. Much better than my old Enertia's 28 mile maximum range. Still have both bikes but will be selling the Enertia pretty soon. I think I will take a picture of both bikes tomorrow - sitting in the garage - Empulse in the front of course.

David
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:06:17 PM »
Enertia and Empulse R sitting in the garage. The Enteria is kind of stuck in the back. Will be sold soon.
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

Empulsive

• May all have happiness and the causes of happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 11:00:54 PM »
Awesome replies everyone and thanks. So David, it might seem that it could make my 55 mile one way ride to work with maybe even charge left.

Has anyone altered the foot peg set up with adjustable rear sets?

Current bike: 2007 Ducati Multistrada S