Author Topic: Reflective tape - improved my chances of being seen  (Read 1543 times)

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reflective tape - improved my chances of being seen
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:25:16 PM »
I got some black reflective tape from 3M. 1/4" wide and 50' from Amazon. Put it on the rims just like I had done on the Enertia  - but that was silver tape. This new stuff has just a little but of sheen, but is almost invisible. Got it on both rims and makes a world of difference. Then I decided to "Tron" the bike just a little.
Pictures of bike with the flash off and on coming soon.
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reflective tape - improved my chances of being seen
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »
With flash turned off. Notice Enertia front tire in picture.
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »
Turning on the flash of the camera shows what the bike would look like if hit by headlights of a car from the side. Now the rims glow and the two side trim pieces add a little more "zing". In the daylight you can hardly see the tape.
I will take a picture at night to see how it really looks.
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »
Excellent!  I have blue rim tape, but I'm thinking the black might actually look better.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »
Don't forget to add reflectors to your helmet just in case you get separated from your motorcycle.  I'm paranoid enough to put a reflector on the top of my helmet pointing straight up just in case the top of my head is pointing towards traffic after an accident.  I would have one on the bottom of my boots if I could figure out how to do it. 

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
Don't forget to add reflectors to your helmet just in case you get separated from your motorcycle.  I'm paranoid enough to put a reflector on the top of my helmet pointing straight up just in case the top of my head is pointing towards traffic after an accident.  I would have one on the bottom of my boots if I could figure out how to do it.

Good thinking. I was checking out a friend's SCCA racecar once, and he had his ignition cutoff switch on the exterior of the car with a label both right-side-up and upside-down. Kind of a gruesome thought, but he explained that your car doesn't always land ride-side-up. For motorcycle racing, some organizations require you to put your race number on your helmet too. Again, first time I was told to do that I didn't get it and then the tech painted a pretty ugly picture for me. :(

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 06:45:26 PM »
Took this picture in the dark. No lights on at all. You can see the stock side reflectors and the license plate glowing. But the tape really helps with the side view.
I will look into the helmet top part. My riding jacket and pants already has reflective piping on it.

David
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 07:34:29 PM »
wow..that works surprisingly well!