Author Topic: Parking Decal Plate  (Read 1210 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Parking Decal Plate
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:58:26 PM »
I really didn't want to stick a parking decal on the fork leg of my Empulse. Originally, I got this semester's parking decal for the GS but I knew I'd me moving it to another bike. Knowing that it was a temporary install, I never peeled the backing off of the decal. I just taped it to the GS fork leg with clear packing tape. Then when I moved it to the Empulse I just did the same thing. Well, I knew I wanted to be able to move it back and forth quickly so I started looking for a simple plate that I could mount somehow.

They sell all kinds of these little decal plates, but they usually require you to remove a fender bolt or worse a caliper bolt. If I was going to be moving it back and forth, then I needed to come up with something else. And this is it.

It's a rubber coupling from the plumbing section of Home Depot. It came with two radiator clamps. I split the rubber down one side. Then I cut a piece of tin and rolled it to match the curve. I mixed up some JB Weld and glued the tin plate to the side of the rubber that was opposite of the cut. The radiator clamps were glued snuggly between the two. To make things a little more secure, I filled in the flathead screwdriver slot on each radiator clamp with JB Weld too. Once it cured, I rattle-canned the metal parts with satin black while carefully masking the rubber parts. Spray painting rubber is a mess.

It didn't come out too bad. Now watch it get stolen off of my bike tomorrow afternoon. :(