Author Topic: Grips?  (Read 2317 times)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Grips?
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
Can anyone educate me on grips?
Are they just a personal preference and wear item?

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Grips?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:51:24 AM »
For me, they're both. I have small hands and I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome. I like soft, tacky, medium-size grips for street use. Soft to reduce vibration and lessen the irritation to the nerves in the wrist. Tacky so that I don't have to use too much gripping force on the throttle. Medium so that my hand is a little more open.

Normally my grips wear out after a few years of street use, and so I'll replace them then. They might last longer on the Empulse, because the throttle action is so light and they're kind of hard. They're a good diameter for me and they're a little tacky and so I actually like them a lot.

On the track, I liked small, firm grips on a 1/4-turn throttle. My personal favorite are firm (black) Renthals. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/982/4723/ITEM/Renthal-Road-Race-Full-Diamond-Grip.aspx

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »
awesome!  Thanks for the info.  One of my friends suggested that I get the 1/4 turn throttle for the Empulse to save the wrist during daily driving...I thought that might be too "sensitive" for nl street driving?!?!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
Isn't a 1/4 turn throttle for cable throttles like on a normal bike? These are electronic.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
The Empulse R factory equipment is a pretty high-end grip from Spider Grips, the guys who won Pikes Peak 3 years running for Ducati...

http://www.spidergrips.com/

So not much to gain other than personal preference in an aftermarket grip, but I second Implovator's choice for a great track grip in the Renthals. They don't fit up easily to the Empulse's electronic throttle as the throttle tube is ribbed to "grab" the backside of the grip and prevent it from slipping on the tube.  To fit the Renthals (we run them on the TTX bike), you'll need to file, sand, or grind off that ribbing.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
The Empulse R factory equipment is a pretty high-end grip from Spider Grips, the guys who won Pikes Peak 3 years running for Ducati...

http://www.spidergrips.com/

So not much to gain other than personal preference in an aftermarket grip, but I second Implovator's choice for a great track grip in the Renthals. They don't fit up easily to the Empulse's electronic throttle as the throttle tube is ribbed to "grab" the backside of the grip and prevent it from slipping on the tube.  To fit the Renthals (we run them on the TTX bike), you'll need to file, sand, or grind off that ribbing.

yikes!  I'll stick with stocks :)

TY for the info

turbotortuga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 03:31:42 AM »
Hi all, I am about to replace the grips on my 2014 Empulse R with some Rizoma Lux Billet Grips but I am wondering the best way to go about changing the throttle side. I will have to press out the plastic throttle tube that comes with them but I am wondering if the 2014 Empulse R throttle tube is still "ribbed" from the factory and if this must be ground down to allow the billet grips to adhere to the stock throttle tube without issue or can it be left as is? Thanks.

Kris

Jay64

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »
I recently changed my grips on the brammo, worked like changing grips on any other bike I've ever had. Sprayed the inside of the grip with hair spray, which allowed it to be slippery for easy slide on, but then turns into a glue once dried. Was very easy to change and is very solid in place.

'13 Zero, '13 Brammo Empulse R, '06 GSXR 600, '03 GSXR 750, '05 Honda Shadow 750, Couple of home built electric bikes, handful of dirtbikes

turbotortuga

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »
Yes, but did you notice any "ribbing" or raised striations on the throttle tube? I am placing billet aluminum grips so the contact surface needs to be smooth in order to function properly.

Jay64

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »
Yeah, my gas bikes have the is a same thing.
'13 Zero, '13 Brammo Empulse R, '06 GSXR 600, '03 GSXR 750, '05 Honda Shadow 750, Couple of home built electric bikes, handful of dirtbikes

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 10:20:16 AM »
Yes, but did you notice any "ribbing" or raised striations on the throttle tube? I am placing billet aluminum grips so the contact surface needs to be smooth in order to function properly.

Original Grip Buddies makes a throttle cover wrap that allows you to cover the grips without having to slide a foam tube cover, like the Grip Puppies do.  You can see how this product works here:
http://www.advdesigns.com/orgrbuhacogr.html
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.