Author Topic: Firmware update notice  (Read 1606 times)

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Firmware update notice
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
Hey guys,

wondering how many of you received the email about the firmware update.  For those of us that are FAR away from the dealer.  How are you going about updating the firmware?

I live about 200miles from the dealer (Dallas to Austin)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Firmware update notice
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »
I'm 120 miles away. Called the dealer today asking if they could send me a thumb drive, but it sounds like the install is a little more complicated. They wanted to install it on their demo first, too. If I can't make it up there this Saturday, it will likely be the end of May before I get a free weekend. This would be an all day trip for me since I would need about 6 hours of level II charging to make it there and back based on the range I've been getting, not to mention the 3 hours of riding each way since I'll be on backroads and the hour to do the service. (I do own a motorcycle trailer, but it's only used for track days, and when I screw up. If they bike is working and has lights, it's being riden!) The dealer considering coming down and doing my bike and Travelin's together since we only live a few miles apart.

The worst part is that it sounds like this upgrade will be really good for me, so I really want it installed soon. It's been cold up here, and I would love for the bike to be more cold-weather friendly. Plus one of the local high power chargers (at Two Brother's brewery - great atmosphere and delicious food!) only charges at 15 amps, so I'm hoping the upgrade would allow me to charge at full capacity while I'm there
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:53:28 PM »
yea...that's what I was worried about.

I like Tesla's model where they have "rangers" that come to your house to do the service.  It made the transition to all electric and a new technology easy.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »
The worst part is that it sounds like this upgrade will be really good for me, so I really want it installed soon. It's been cold up here, and I would love for the bike to be more cold-weather friendly. Plus one of the local high power chargers (at Two Brother's brewery - great atmosphere and delicious food!) only charges at 15 amps, so I'm hoping the upgrade would allow me to charge at full capacity while I'm there

The Eltek 3000 powercharger datasheet lists a limit of 14A for 240V input. Being able to charge at 30A on 240V would be awesome, but I think it'll take more than a firmware upgrade to get there.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

CAT in HAWAII

• Empulse Guru
  • Empulse in HAWAII ,,,,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 03:59:07 AM »
Hey guys,

wondering how many of you received the email about the firmware update.  For those of us that are FAR away from the dealer.  How are you going about updating the firmware?

I live about 200miles from the dealer (Dallas to Austin)

I got the update email,,, NOT sending my bike to Bartels!

But seriously, they are still looking for a dealer in Hawaii, but the response I got was that they  will work out some way for me to get the firmware update,,

Not sure how yet, but ill let you know,,,

PS just hit 1000 miles,, still going strong !!!
Crashed! Don't go up against a semi-truck,, it ain't pretty!

2017 Indian Chief Classic,,,

SWAPPED!! First 2013 Empulse R in HAWAII !!! 🏄

-=SOLD=- HD Sportster 1200 Sport Anniversary Ed. -=SOLD=-

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:14:48 AM »

The Eltek 3000 powercharger datasheet lists a limit of 14A for 240V input. Being able to charge at 30A on 240V would be awesome, but I think it'll take more than a firmware upgrade to get there.

I get 22+ amps out of most Level II EVSEs. The one I'm referencing is a Tesla branded EVSE, and has "High Power Charging Ready" buttons that I'm afraid to touch. @ 15A, my bike was estimating about 5 hours, well short of what I would expect from level II.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »
protomech,
On the Eltek, 3000W would be 25-30A on the DC side.... Where the current is measured. On the AC side the limit for L2 is 15A @240VAC... So you're right on the AC side. 22A on the DC side sounds right for L2.

I get about 12A DC on L1 at home, which is around 1350W including inefficiency (measured using a kill-a-watt meter).

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »
Duplicate post
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:31:59 AM by frodus »

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »
Duplicate post
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:31:23 AM by frodus »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »
Just had mine done at 3000 miles. Plan on the process taking about two hours. They have to change the firmware for each battery separately.

I'll let you know if I notice any changes but so far it seems to be running about the same. I do notice that the range indicator does not jump all over the place quite as much.

One change I didn't like: they reduced several fuse sizes due to electrical changes in the overall system. The accessory port's fuse is now 5 amps instead of 10.  :'( Good thing winter is about over.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:12:33 AM by Shinysideup »

travel4nutin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 12:24:22 AM »
I'm 120 miles away. Called the dealer today asking if they could send me a thumb drive, but it sounds like the install is a little more complicated. They wanted to install it on their demo first, too. If I can't make it up there this Saturday, it will likely be the end of May before I get a free weekend. This would be an all day trip for me since I would need about 6 hours of level II charging to make it there and back based on the range I've been getting, not to mention the 3 hours of riding each way since I'll be on backroads and the hour to do the service. (I do own a motorcycle trailer, but it's only used for track days, and when I screw up. If they bike is working and has lights, it's being riden!) The dealer considering coming down and doing my bike and Travelin's together since we only live a few miles apart.

Thanks for taking with Suburban I thought I was going to have to negotiate meeting them at a halfway point.  Maybe at Zion or North Chicago near a Train stop just in case something went wrong.  BC me to let me know what day you were thinking about having them come down.  My schedule is pretty flexible.

Just had mine done at 3000 miles. Plan on the process taking about two hours. They have to change the firmware for each battery separately.

I'll let you know if I notice any changes but so far it seems to be running about the same. I do notice that the range indicator does not jump all over the place quite as much.

One change I didn't like: they reduced several fuse sizes due to electrical changes in the overall system. The accessory port's fuse is now 5 amps instead of 10.  :'( Good thing winter is about over.

This actually makes sense now.  I test drove a demo unit before signing the contract for the bike at the IMS in Chicago.  Powerlet had a demo bike with a pretty cool setup with a 12v outlet mounted above the center of the handlebars.  I asked if it could get a quote for the setup and some headed gear.  The Powerlet rep told me that heated gear really couldn't be used because the wiring for the accessory port was gauged too high to support it.  They felt a 10 amp fuse was a mistake for the circuit.  Seems like they were right.
93 Suzuki Katana
Empulse #613 #45

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 06:17:47 AM »

This actually makes sense now.  I test drove a demo unit before signing the contract for the bike at the IMS in Chicago.  Powerlet had a demo bike with a pretty cool setup with a 12v outlet mounted above the center of the handlebars.  I asked if it could get a quote for the setup and some headed gear.  The Powerlet rep told me that heated gear really couldn't be used because the wiring for the accessory port was gauged too high to support it.  They felt a 10 amp fuse was a mistake for the circuit.  Seems like they were right.

Hm...I've been running heated gear with no issues. Just Gloves and Socks. I'll have to ask about that.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
Got my upgrade today - it took forever! Had the 600 mile check up (change trans oil, check chain and brakes) also while I was there. I did notice on the drive home that the range display did not bounce as much. Not much difference besides that.

David
#47 (formerly 9 of 30)

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 09:40:23 PM »
I did notice on the drive home that the range display did not bounce as much. Not much difference besides that.

Lots of pretty lights celebrate as it runs out of electrons now...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 04:46:57 AM »
I'm a little <300 miles from the dealership so I can't get there... They said they may be able to come to the house but I haven't heard back and it's been three weeks... I'm ready for my update because there are some public charging stations I'm having trouble with... I really wish there was a dealership closer!
Actually Mine,
Empluse R