Author Topic: Empulse Minus the R  (Read 3876 times)

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Empulse Minus the R
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:52:06 AM »
I think I recall Brian mentioning that the "regular" Empulse would hit production in April. Anyone get an update on this at all?

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse Minus the R
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »
I have an Empulse non-R coming soon.  I've been told that production starts around April 15th, and that my bike should be here by the end of the month or early next month.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 11:37:54 AM »
Thats great news! I think a lot of people are waiting for the less expensive model. After the tax break its really a great price for the tech you get along with some fairly high end components.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
Speaking of tax breaks, the way budget talks are going in Congress, I really would be surprised if the tax rebate for electric motorcycles continues next year.  So anyone sitting on the fence this year might keep an eye on the budget talks and if EV rebates get cut they might want to factor that into their buying decision.

Also, state rebates seem to be evaporating too. One more thing to check on.  :(
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »
Good, the Empulse non-R is the more comparable bike with the Zero bikes IMO.

Since the Empulse (77 miles combined) sits roughly halfway between the ZF8.5 and ZF11.4 bikes (70 and 93 miles combined) by range, it's about a $2000 premium on top of the Zero S. As long as the transmission is a neutral or better in your view and you don't mind the additional weight, then the premium seems reasonable for the better equipment and built-in J1772 charger.

It'll be interesting to see what motor it will ship with. That could be the clinching factor for most people - there's not a lot of air between $17k and $19k.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »
Pretty sure, from what we have heard so far, that the motor will be the originally planned one. The Parker motor was an upgrade on the R.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 07:53:59 AM »
Speaking of tax breaks, the way budget talks are going in Congress, I really would be surprised if the tax rebate for electric motorcycles continues next year.  So anyone sitting on the fence this year might keep an eye on the budget talks and if EV rebates get cut they might want to factor that into their buying decision.

Also, state rebates seem to be evaporating too. One more thing to check on.  :(

Yup, the Colorado rebate for "two wheeled" EVs is gone. Seems like killing EV tax rebates / credits would be small beans compared to the other wasteful programs they could cut. Things like that get more press than the billions we give the oil industry. IMO, electric vehicle sales would do great on their own if nothing was subsidized at all, but thats another discussion...

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »
Well, lets face it.  Motorcycles get no respect from politicians.  Frankly I was amazed that motorcycles were even included in the federal EV rebate program.  Electric and hybrid cars get government incentive programs because they have big business to advocate for them in Congress.  But most politicians feel that motorcycles are "death machines" and their ownership and riding shouldn't be encouraged.  I think we got really lucky by being included in the EV rebate program at both the federal and state levels, but I know it just can't last, what with all of the fiscal budget pressures at all levels of government.   :(  So take advantage of it while you can.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
They were included because there are several AMERICAN electric motorcycle companies (Zero, Brammo, Lightning)..... that's not counting several three wheeled american EV companies.

I wish Oregon got their incentives back.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:46:09 PM »
I think we will see EV incentives start to be rolled back now that there are quality EV products (Tesla, Brammo, Zero) that are selling well.

Teslas are backed up months, Hollywood Electrics are selling the 2013s faster than they can get them in, and Brammo sales seem to be doing solid as we see photos of bikes being delivered in Europe and new Brammo dealers announced on a regular basis.  It was really easy to offer incentives when there wasn't anything on the market and it didn't really cost anything.  It just looked good.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:07:07 PM »
Pretty sure, from what we have heard so far, that the motor will be the originally planned one. The Parker motor was an upgrade on the R.

Hopefully this will become clear soon.  The Brammo website doesn't say anything about a performance difference between the Empulse and the Empulse R, with both listing the same top speed.  The specs. for the motor are the same, although that information is not very specific.

Quote from: Brammo website:
The Empulse R has carbon fiber headlight shroud, front and rear fenders, top panel (this is the panel immediately ahead of the colored panel) and rear light housing. Empulse R also has a name badge and also features fully adjustable (gold) front suspension and fully adjustable adjustable rear-suspension.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Re: Empulse Minus the R
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:45:11 AM »
Hopefully this will become clear soon.  The Brammo website doesn't say anything about a performance difference between the Empulse and the Empulse R, with both listing the same top speed.  The specs. for the motor are the same, although that information is not very specific.
The website also lists a maximum of 63 Nm of torque for both the Empulse and the Empulse R. BrammoBrian has confirmed that the R's Parker motor is higher torque.

Not really on topic, but it also still lists 28 miles @ 55 mph for the Enertia Plus. : /
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Breaking News! ;) Re: Empulse Minus the R
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 05:12:23 PM »
I've also heard that the non-R will have a fully adjustable suspension - that claim from a Brammo employee in direct response to me mentioning the "semi-adjustable" spec on the web site.  They didn't clarify specifics but said that it may have smaller ranges of adjustment and I've heard it mentioned elsewhere that it is probably just a lower level model from the same manufacturers.

Whoah!  As I was writing this and checking the specs page I now notice that they list 2 different motors!

R has a Parker GVM IPM motor with 40kW@4500/90Nm.  non-R has a PMAC motor with 40kW@6000/63Nm.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »
The website also lists a maximum of 63 Nm of torque for both the Empulse and the Empulse R. BrammoBrian has confirmed that the R's Parker motor is higher torque.

Just to reiterate what was buried in my previous post - check the web site again.  New info today (on just the engine).

What is a "GVM IPM Motor"?  (And I notice that they don't mention manufacturer on the non-R.)

A quick search indicates that IPM is "Interior Permanent Magnet"

Parker's web site says:

The 2013 bike has more performance than ever - and is the first vehicle on the planet to use Parker Hannifin's newest PMAC traction motor: the GVM. This advanced, highly engineered, motor offers incredible power density and performance second to none. The GVM traction motor platform is highly scalable which will allow Parker to meet the ever-increasing power demands of electric superbikes as they start catching up with 600cc Moto2 Racing.

Though it still doesn't answer what "GVM" stands for.  Here is a link to get protomech started...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
..............  New info today (on just the engine).

you mean "MOTOR"..... we need to stop saying engine, it's no bueno!