Author Topic: Dead Battery Left Me Stranded  (Read 753 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Dead Battery Left Me Stranded
« on: May 02, 2013, 07:02:40 PM »
I hopped on the bike to ride to campus today. I stopped off at a gas station, and the bike wouldn't start back up. Just like the controversial New York Times article on Tesla, my bike rode home in the back of my pickup truck later in the day.

Thing is, it was my ICE bike. Bloody hell, I figured the Empulse would strand me with a dead battery before my ICE would. :)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Battery Left Me Stranded
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »
I have had two BMW-brand, made in Germany by Exide, AGM batteries fail without any warning about 3 years ago.  Both times the bikes could not be started, even by jumping, and had to be towed to the dealer. (The battery on my F650GS was only 6 months old.)  I had the same thing happen with the AGM battery on my 2004 Kawasaki 250 Ninja.  Considering that modern FI motorcycles will not even start if they don't have enough voltage, 12V IC motorcycle batteries really worry me.  I never had a sudden-death problem with a flooded battery in 45 years of riding, but the latest AGM batteries occasionally seem to suffer an internal short, perhaps due to vibration, and can really leave you stranded.  :(
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:14 PM »
Over on the BMW forum, the consensus was that Exide = Scheiss.

I went to an Odyssey replacement and got more cranking power and nary a failure in 40K miles.

But now, I'm more happy with Brammopower ;D

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »
Yeah, my gasser is a R1200GS. Thanks for the advice. I'm considering an odyssey, but it requires a few mods. I look into it more and see if it's something I want to get into.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »
That was funny.  the title completely suck me in.  For a minute I thought I was over on the electric motorcycle forum.