Author Topic: BrammoBrian's wrap-up from Sonoma  (Read 1726 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
BrammoBrian's wrap-up from Sonoma
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »
From Brian:
Brammo Racing Update – AFM Sonoma Round 2 – May 4-5, 2013
A major milestone for team was set this past weekend as Team Icon Brammo and Team Parker Brammo competed for the first time head-to-head alongside our gas burning brethren in round 2 of AFM’s race season at Sonoma Raceway (Sear’s Point).  With 4 bikes in action over the 2 day event, it was also one of the most logistically challenging events we’ve run.  Keeping up with the fast moving race schedule, multiple practice groups, 3 riders providing invaluable feedback to capture, and keeping the bikes charged up to hit every session was tough, but the team stepped up to the challenge.
The main goals for this first race event with AFM was to learn how their race weekend operates, hit every practice session, and finish in the top 10 in our races.   The last goal ended up being a bit out of reach for us with the RRs, but the team is holding its head high as we leave Sonoma and everyone’s very proud with what was accomplished.
Shelina ran a great 250 Superbike race, gridding in 14th position and finishing in 7th.  She showed great poise as rider over the weekend, consistently dropping time in every practice session and then putting in a string of best laps in the race.  There’s more speed to come from the Parker Racing Brammo Empulse TTX and Shelina Moreda, without a doubt!   
Eric and Steve focused on the 750 Superbike race at the end of the day and used the Formula 1 race as some additional practice to get final settings dialed in.  Both riders struggled with suspension setup to deal with the technical nature of the track and the weight penalty of the RRs over the 600s, 750s, and up to 1000cc V-twins they were competing with.   We didn’t quite get down to our target lap times, but we still made a massive improvement over the last time we ran at Sonoma Raceway.  It was clear that we wouldn’t be mounting any major challenge to the incumbent technology this time around, so the riders kept the racing clean, the bikes upright, and brought back some very valuable data for the team.  It’ll take us awhile to get through it all, but rest assured we’ll be figuring out how to improve for the next races.  Both riders had a great time racing the gassers and the bikes looked great and were respectably fast in a field of very fast bikes and riders.
Last couple of notes:
Shelina raced our Engage Supermoto prototype bike in the all-women’s Supermoto class and finished 4th.  She pushed to get us to bring the bike, so she deserves much credit for that near podium finish.  I’m guessing this won’t be the last time she asks to race Supermoto with the bike!
Thanks to AFM, SuperMoto USA, Sonoma Raceway, and all the fans for making this a truly remarkable and historic weekend.  We’re proud to be part of the paddock!
-Brian Wismann, Brammo Racing Team Manager
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: BrammoBrian's wrap-up from Sonoma
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »
From Brian:

...Shelina ran a great 250 Superbike race, gridding in 14th position and finishing in 7th...

I usually stay away from the "beat by a girl" type of comments.  But it looks like 10 guys on gassers are not only going to have to explain to their buddies why they got beat by a girl, but beat by a girl on an electric motorcycle! 

For some reason that just makes me smile.    ;D

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
Sorry for the delay, here's some of my favorite photos from the weekend: 

The calm before the storm...

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:59:05 PM »
Go time!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 11:07:22 PM »
Out on Track...

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 09:49:11 AM »
Dang....Shelina looks Badass....

correction...Shelina IS Badass...

G

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
More behind the scenes and more Shelina for Gavin!  ;)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
great photos...thanks for sharing them.

Shelina's a sweetie...but then so is Eric :)

Good luck this season and keep those photos coming.

Gavin

ps...have you bought one of these for your son yet?

I figured he'd want some red to match his dad's ride
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:57:22 PM by Gavin »

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing the photo's with us!
I noticed some GoPro's on the bikes, can we drool over the footage at some point?
Once you go EV, gas is history!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:58:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing the photo's with us!
I noticed some GoPro's on the bikes, can we drool over the footage at some point?

Yes! We should be posting the start and first couple of laps of Shelina's race shortly.  I'll post a link here when it's up.  I haven't had a chance to edit anything together with the other cameras from Steve and Eric, so that footage might get combined with a longer video after the Thunderhill race. 

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »
Shelina Moreda Races Electric vs. Gas!

If you listen close you'll hear Shelina "rev" up the motor prior to the start and then slip the clutch.  She could've gotten an even better start if she didn't do this. Even though she practiced her starts prior to the race, she defaulted to "race mode" when it came time to grid up.  Should get a better jump on the field at Thunderhill... 

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 07:06:56 PM »
Shelina Moreda Races Electric vs. Gas!

If you listen close you'll hear Shelina "rev" up the motor prior to the start and then slip the clutch.  She could've gotten an even better start if she didn't do this. Even though she practiced her starts prior to the race, she defaulted to "race mode" when it came time to grid up.  Should get a better jump on the field at Thunderhill...

I was just about to comment about that on youtube!  So to get the best launch is to just put it in gear and crank the wrist correct?  Slipping the clutch doesn't help with times...

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 09:26:41 PM »
I was just about to comment about that on youtube!  So to get the best launch is to just put it in gear and crank the wrist correct?  Slipping the clutch doesn't help with times...

Correct.  Slipping the clutch just slows you down.   I would guess Shelina could've grabbed another 2-3 positions off the start with a good launch based on how fast she caught them once the clutch was all the way out and she was putting the TTX's mighty torque to the pavement.