Author Topic: Recall Notice  (Read 1083 times)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Recall Notice
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:57:44 PM »
I can't believe I'm the first person to see this!

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/808/16279/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Brammo-Empulse-Recall-Notice.aspx

Only five bikes are affected. I wonder how they figured that out?
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Recall Notice
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 10:02:20 PM »
Mine is one and I take it in tomorrow. Not sure what the update is but it didn't sound major.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
I didn't see that til now!  I haven't gotten notified so don't think I am one of the 5.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:46 AM »
Could be something they corrected very early, or a defect that occurred on only a single week of production.

Glad they're on top of it.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »
I didn't see that til now!  I haven't gotten notified so don't think I am one of the 5.
True.  According to Brammo, all five owners have been contacted.  If you go to this page you can see some photos of the terminals.  Amazing to me that such a minor difference can affect the bike.  Good thing that they discovered this early.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »
It looks like the B- connector, if installed so that it rides the divider, could potentially rotate around and short against the M1 far side terminal.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
I'm limited in what details I can give, but just wanted to provide some additional insight that should put everyone at ease:

1. No failures of this type were found on any production bike or bike in the field (to include marketing bikes).
2. No failures of this type were found on the bike that was tested rigorously for durability by an independent lab.
3. It is NOT necessary to "check your bike" as this would involve dropping the motor controller and exposing yourself to the high voltage/current cables.  Only a trained service technician should do this. We are 100% confident that the problem does not affect bikes outside of these 5.
4. The 5 bikes (only) affected had a single re-work/update operation performed off the production line removed them from standard controlled work process.

Last point - although the article reads as though this was a NHTSA enforced recall, you should understand that this is a voluntary recall by Brammo (as are most OE recalls) - i.e. we alerted NHTSA and drafted the documents you see, not the other way around.

Thanks!

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:13:19 PM »
Sounds like its more of an inspection and the recall was driven by Brammo. Its proactive. Its just an alignment of the terminals and cables going to the controller.

Adam picked up my bike last night and took it to Polaris to do the inspection/recall. Should have it back soon.