Author Topic: Time for new tires!  (Read 2599 times)

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Time for new tires!
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:41:43 PM »
Welp, the Avons made it a shade over 6000 miles (granted, most of those suffering from me being an idiot) before getting down to the wear bars.  I'm putting some track tires on for tomorrow at Laguna, and once I get back I'll be putting on some Pilot Road 3s . . . but before that!  What better way to celebrate than with sweet sweet burnouts?!

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Time for new tires!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
Have fun at Laguna! I'll be switching to PR3s for winter, myself. Post up what you think about them. They'll be the first non-sport tires I'll have ever purchased.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »
I'm changing to PR3's also. Almost 5800 miles and a slight bit of tread above the wear bars remaining. Hey, the steel cords aren't showing yet... no hurry!

I had a set of PR2's and another set of PR3's on my BMW R1200R and loved them. Good stickiness in the twisties and close to 10K on the rear tire.

I even used a trick I read on the BMW forum: when the center portion got flat from freeway use, put the bike up on a stand, run the rear wheel in gear, and re-bevel it using coarse grit on a belt sander. Restored nice handling.

I know they're "non-sport", but you may be pleasantly surprised at how they handle curves. But then I only scraped the pegs a couple of times on the R1200R and still had 1/2" chicken stripes.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 02:11:59 AM »
The 2014 bikes will apparently come on ContiRoadAttack 2 tires (according to the online manual)...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
Sick burnout! At 6k the Avons had a good run and went out in style.

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »
So what's everyone running for their second set of tires? My Avons are at the wear bar and I have to get a yearly safety inspection soon. Irritates me, because I'd run them another 500-1000 miles. Alas safety inspections are a good idea. Keeps idiots from running wasted tires...see example below. :)

I just ordered some Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas. These are actually the first sportbike tires I've bought in 10 years so I had no idea what to get. I used to run takeoffs on the street before. Really dumb idea, BTW. After a bunch of heat cycles they grip about as well as cardboard. They're usually fine...unless you're trailbraking into a corner hard. That one hurt.

Anyhow, I always rode Pirelli on the track, so I figured I'd give their street tires a go. I usually take my cage or my gas moto when it's wet, so I was looking for something with good dry grip. I considered their Diablo Supercorsas SP (street compound), but I couldn't justify the extra money. So I went with a step down, which I think should be worlds better than the Avons. And heck, I liked the Avons. I guess I've been putting too many miles on dual sport tires lately. I figure if I go through a set of tires a year, then I can probably experiment with quite a few tires. I'll let people know that I think of these after I spoon them on next weekend.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:41:49 AM »
I went for what I really liked on my BMW R1200R which is Michelin Pilot Road 3, but it sounds like you ride more aggressively than I. I got 10 to 12K on the rear on the R12R. So far, on the Empulse, they've gripped really well for all my needs. And I guess Michelin and Pirelli are one now.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:29:31 AM »
That is interesting about the mileage that you got from your PR3 tires, Shinysideup.  I just replaced the PR2's on my R1200R with Bridgestone 023's because the PR2's only lasted for 3,500 miles before hitting the wear bars.   :(  Now Michelin has just introduced the PR4 model.  Naturally it does everything better than the PR3 version - as does every new model of tire that comes out from every tire manufacturer.   ::)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »
I've been running these Continental SportAttack 2s on my bike for awhile and have been very impressed.  Great grip in a variety of conditions.  Nice, progressive profile, providing a lot of confidence during tip-in and at lean.  They've even got a surface finish when new that doesn't have to be "scrubbed-in" like other tires before you've got grip. 

http://www.conti-online.com/www/motorcycle_de_en/themes/motorcycletires/sport/sportattack_2_en.html

Also hard to go wrong with the Pirelli Supercorsas as that's what I ran on my S1000RR, but they do wear quick and can be spendy.  I'm a believer in focusing more on good grip than good wear/life.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »
NICE!  bookmarked for when I do my tire change!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 07:18:29 PM »
Dang...I must ride like a wimp...I'm at 5000 miles and my tires still look new...

Gavin

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 03:18:20 PM »
Dang...I must ride like a wimp...I'm at 5000 miles and my tires still look new...

I guess you will replace yours when they get square...
Once you go EV, gas is history!

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
I picked up a Pilot Road 4 front for $145 with free shipping from Motorcycle Superstore.  My front Avon still looks good at 5k, but I ride in the wet fairly often so I think I'll go ahead and change now.  A nail force an early replacement of the rear tire.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »
I just replaced the bias-ply 130/17 IRC Road Whiner rear tire on my Zero last weekend, after putting 8K miles on them. (The front tire still looks like new.)  I replaced it with a Michelin Pilot Activ tire, which seem to be a big improvement over the stock Whiners (which have a tendency of sliding when braking).  On the other hand, the IRC tires were a breeze to cut up with a hack saw and dump into my garbage can - especially compared with steel-belted radial motorcycle tires.   :o
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 01:17:50 AM »
A nail force an early replacement of the rear tire.

Get one of these.

I picked up a screw in my rear Avon maybe 3k in, and rode another good 3k on the plug.  I seriously seem to attract all kinds of stupid road debris to my rear tires very frequently, so I carry that thing on me at all times.  (In addition to these and this)