Author Topic: Fire at Brammo HQ  (Read 1263 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fire at Brammo HQ
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
http://ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/ktvl_vid_7892.shtml

Fire At Brammo
By Caitlin Conrad/KTVL.com

ASHLAND, Ore -- FIre crews say a sprinkler system helped to put a fire out at Brammo in the early hours of Sunday.

Firefighters say they don't know how the fire sparked but it got started in a battery storage room. Crews say the sprinkler undoubtably saved millions of dollars for the company.

An employee with Brammo says the damage won't leave them with any set backs. The electric motorcycle company provides high wage paying jobs for the valley.

Good to hear that nobody was injured and that this won't "leave them with any set backs."  According to Adrian, "Business as usual tomorrow."
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:40:13 AM by Brammofan »
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fire at Brammo HQ
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:53:09 PM »
And we thought their bikes were tough and built well.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fire at Brammo HQ
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:57:23 PM »
Crazy!  Glad it was just minor. 

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:40 AM »
And we thought their bikes were tough and built well.

That's making a rather large assumption. Probably a battery, charging system, or other power electronics caused the fire/thermal event, but only Brammo knows if the fire was caused by a prototype or a production element. It may take some time for them to determine what caused the fire.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
I will say that the internet is a tough place to understand the meaning of many statements.

I think TTXGP was commenting on the toughness of Brammo's staff who are back to "business as usual" the very next day.

I've toured the building. I bet the fire was in the battery research area. It is a smaller room with a lower ceiling and lots of sprinklers...and where different batteries are put through extreme testing. It wouldn't be too strange to have a fire there and for it to be contained and not do "horrible" damage to bikes and production---though it will set back some battery work obviously.

Gavin

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 02:42:02 PM »
They might want to consider augmenting the sprinklers with automatic overhead CO2 extinguishers, set at a lower temperature trigger point. Easier cleanup. Less collateral damage to electronics.