Author Topic: July 21. Laguna Seca eRoadRacing + MotoGP!  (Read 3388 times)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: July 21. Laguna Seca eRoadRacing + MotoGP!
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »
The race was truncated to 8 laps for the lapped traffic because noone still on the field had completed lap 8 when Bostrom finished his lap 9.

If Turpin was still on field in creep mode working towards his 9th lap, then the lapped traffic would have a chance to catch up to him on their 9th lap. That chance would remain open as long as *anyone* still racing had completed 8 laps.

At least, that's my understanding.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:04:18 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »
David claims Turpin's RR ran out of battery capacity before the end of the race.

He definitely did not run out of battery.  There was some kind of malfunction or safety shutoff that forced him off the track.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 12:18:45 AM »
I got curious so I did a web search and looked at some rules.  The AMA rules are online at:

http://amaproracing.cdn.racersites.com/assets/AMAPro-RR-2013-Rulebook.pdf

• Races are officially ended for all competitors at the completion
    of the lap on which the checkered flag is displayed to the winner.
    Riders will be credited with all official laps they complete during a
    race unless a penalty has been assessed.
  • Once the race leader takes the checkered flag and all active riders
    complete their working lap, finishing positions will be determined
    according to the most laps traveled in the least total time, whether
    a motorcycle is actively circulating or not.

The first rule seems to indicate that a rider would have to complete the lap he was on, but the other rule would seem to indicate that he would get credit for laps completed "whether actively circulating or not"...?

Unfortunately, for TTXGP all I could find was a list of technical rules for the bike's engineering with a section that stated that the race format would be determined by supplementary regulations issued for each event.  :(

It looks like the event at Laguna Seca was an FIM event, which has a rule:

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/2013_GP_Regulations_updated_during_the_2013_season_(9_July_2013).pdf

To be counted as a finisher in the race and be included in the results a
rider must:
  • Complete 75% of the race distance.
  • Cross the finish line on the race track (not in the pit lane)
    within five minutes of the race winner. The rider must be in
    contact with his machine.

I guess if you could push the bike around the track in under 5 minutes you could claim your time.

(Note that another rule indicates that the entrance to the track closes on the checkered flag so you can't be in the pits fixing your bike and then go out and do a lap within 5 minutes - you had to have been already on the track at that point.)

In both the FIM and AMA rules the rule for lapped riders is very simply that they just complete the lap they are on when the checkered flag comes out.  There is no consideration for whether anyone or everyone is a lap down.  They checker the #1 rider and everyone else's race ends the next time they cross the finish line and their number of laps factors into their standing along with their time.
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

emotodude

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
FYI...

Ted's bike has a size 4 controller with an "ice box". No motor modifications, only a P-51 style belly scoop to direct some more air at the motor. Ted pulled a 1:49 on "stock" drivetrain, i.e. no additional power or non-stock components, just more cooling for the controller. Personally I think a fan would have been a better choice than an ice box, not sure the logic behind that decision.

Brandon's bike had a size 6 controller, no special cooling for controller or motor.

Jeremiah had a size 6 and a "blown" (forced-air internal cooling) motor.

Kenyon's bike had a "blown" controller (size 6) and motor, and was apparently thermally stable if you look at his consistent lap times.

"the 40 kW Empulse is falling behind the probably 50+ kW Size 6 Zeros" Doesn't the empulse run a size 6?

I was really bummed there were so many DNF's. Everyone involved is a real class act and I would have loved to have seen a full field battling it out 'till the end.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:47:33 PM by emotodude »

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »
How fast were the Zeros getting on the straight?  Their stock limit is around 95 with only 80 sustained, the Empulses can break 100 and there is no secondary spec for sustained speed, the RRs were doing 140.  Did top speed come into play?
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 03:25:01 PM »
Zero posted the lap breakdowns on facebook:

Kenyon posted a top speed of 165 km/h on his fast lap, before settling down into a set of slightly slower (but still consistent laps). Top speeds for subsequent laps were in the 144-160 km/h range.

Jeremiah Johnson posted very consistent top speeds around 143 km/h.

Arthur Kowitz posted consistent top speeds on the TTX around 150-156 km/h.

Looking at the practice sessions, we can see this trend again. Kenyon leads the production bike pack, followed by Shelina, followed by Ted Rich and Arthur, followed by Brandon and Jeremiah.

I note in photos Kenyon appears to have a fairing of some type. I wonder if that's what led him to push his top speed so much? Or perhaps he's running slightly taller gearing?

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »
Very cool that everyone is so engaged and paid such close attention to the racing this weekend.  I think the trouble with comparing the performance of the bikes is this:

1. There are no true "eSuperStock" rules, so each bike is modified to a varying extent, although they were all based on a production platform.  The bike that Keynon was on was not the same bike he raced a ReFuel and in speaking with him after the race he admitted that he would not classify it as a SuperStock bike. 

2. Rider skill and experience makes a huge difference.  As these bikes get faster, the rider factors in more and more.  All of these racers have varying experience levels, but are all technically "Pros" by any reasonable measure.  The rider needs to have confidence in the bike, track, and conditions in order to exploit the full capability of the machine. 

3. Shelina crashed and took out Ted Rich, who was looking very race-y.  It would have been interesting to see how the race unfolded and who was able to maintain the lap times.  At this point, we can only guess based on the qualifying times. 

Anyhow, it's clear that Zero found some speed between ReFuel and Laguna and I was very impressed with their performance.  These lap times are incredible for production based bikes.  I'm stoked that there will be REAL competitive racing this season and I also think we can improve from where we are.  Round 1 at ReFuel was advantage Brammo, Round 2 at Laguna was advantage Zero, now we'll see how we stack up at "The Brickyard" in 3 weeks!...

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Can't wait! I WILL make this next race : )

emotodude

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »
Did you guys see the wreck video? E-bikes are now fast enough to engage in some spectacular crashes.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »
The best part is the dude on the scooter.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 04:31:38 PM »
The best part is the dude on the scooter.

And the very clear signs of frustration from Shelina  ;D
Once you go EV, gas is history!

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »
Very cool that everyone is so engaged and paid such close attention to the racing this weekend.  I think the trouble with comparing the performance of the bikes is this:

1. There are no true "eSuperStock" rules, so each bike is modified to a varying extent, although they were all based on a production platform.  The bike that Keynon was on was not the same bike he raced a ReFuel and in speaking with him after the race he admitted that he would not classify it as a SuperStock bike. 

David Herron reports that Kenyon's bike upgraded the controller to a Size 6 and added additional forced-air cooling to the motor and controller. Additionally he added a fairing to his bike; his top speeds were markedly higher than any of the other Zeros.

David also reports that there WAS a eSuperStock award passed out to Kenyon .. I think eSuperStock basically boils down to production-based. I strongly dislike the term "stock" when it's being applied to either the TTX or these modified Zeros.

Anyhow, it's clear that Zero found some speed between ReFuel and Laguna and I was very impressed with their performance.  These lap times are incredible for production based bikes.  I'm stoked that there will be REAL competitive racing this season and I also think we can improve from where we are.  Round 1 at ReFuel was advantage Brammo, Round 2 at Laguna was advantage Zero, now we'll see how we stack up at "The Brickyard" in 3 weeks!...

At the second link above, David compares the lap times between 2010 and today.

2010: Michael Czysz posted a 1:44.496 best lap time and went on to win on his E1PC bike.
2013: Shane Turpin posted a 1:32.581 best lap time on the RR
2013: Kenyon Kluge posted a 1:48.706 best lap time on the S (though his subsequent laps were 1:50+).

The Brammo, Lightning, and MotoCzysz bikes have continuously improved over the last three years.. but it's amazing looking back all at once to see how much we've improved. The race bikes of 2010 are closer in performance to today's production bikes than to today's race bikes.

I hope to see a Zero vs Brammo rematch at Indy.