Author Topic: Empluse R vs. E1 (non-R) acceleration  (Read 1125 times)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Empluse R vs. E1 (non-R) acceleration
« on: July 22, 2013, 08:04:16 PM »
I finally got a chance to do a demo ride on an Empulse now that the Brammo dealership opened recently here in Colorado.  It was a black E1 (non-R) model.  Apparently, they've already put enough miles on it for them to put it into Sport mode, so I got to experience the full gusto.

The brakes, suspension, and highway acceleration was everything I had hoped it would be.  It clearly beat out my aging SV650 in all those categories.  Based on that, I wouldn't have any reason to spend the extra for the "R".  I don't need more from the suspension.  And while the carbon fiber is cool, I definitely am not, so that's a wash.  =)

But I found the initial take-off (0-15 MPH) to be just a touch soft.  Nothing bad, but just enough to make me wonder if it would be worth it to get the "R" with the Parker motor just for that initial adrenaline rush.  That brings up the question, does the Parker motor really make a big difference for the initial launch in 1st gear?

The peak numbers seem to suggest that the power would come on harder earlier on the "R"  (54HP@4500 and 90Nm torque vs the same HP @6000 and 63Nm).  But peak numbers really don't mean much at RPM's well below where the motor generates peak power. 

Does anyone have actual hard data on acceleration for the R and E1?  I'm thinking 0-60 Foot ET times like over on dragtimes.com (No brammo's there yet!?!):

http://www.dragtimes.com/Suzuki--SV-Drag-Racing.html?resultpage=1

Or if anyone has any HP/torque at the wheel actual measured graphs from dyno runs, that would be sweet.  Measured 0-60 times in 1st gear would also be appreciated (or whatever top speed is in 1st gear).

Thanks. 

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Empluse R vs. E1 (non-R) acceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
Having 1/3 more torque to play with, seems to me could make a big difference, depending on how that torque is mapped in the software, since, unlike an ICE, the torque is theoretically available at low RPM's, and you don't have to wait for peak motor speed.

Maybe your dealer will let you test drive both models? I've never thought of the acceleration of my R as soft.

You may want to contact Scuderia West to see if they have any data from their dyno they have in the shop.

I know the R has been dialed back to about 10% short of being able to do a wheelie at launch. I also know I beat a liter sport bike off the line by about 1/2 block three times in a row on my R model.

If I can find an E1 in the Bay Area, maybe we can have a go at it! I'm not cool either, but I DO like a good adrenaline rush.  :)

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:27:41 AM »
I finally got a chance to do a demo ride on an Empulse now that the Brammo dealership opened recently here in Colorado.  It was a black E1 (non-R) model.  Apparently, they've already put enough miles on it for them to put it into Sport mode, so I got to experience the full gusto.

The brakes, suspension, and highway acceleration was everything I had hoped it would be.  It clearly beat out my aging SV650 in all those categories.  Based on that, I wouldn't have any reason to spend the extra for the "R".  I don't need more from the suspension.  And while the carbon fiber is cool, I definitely am not, so that's a wash.  =)

But I found the initial take-off (0-15 MPH) to be just a touch soft.  Nothing bad, but just enough to make me wonder if it would be worth it to get the "R" with the Parker motor just for that initial adrenaline rush.  That brings up the question, does the Parker motor really make a big difference for the initial launch in 1st gear?

I'm a current owner of an E1 and have had a SV650 and Vstrom 650 in the past.  I think the E1 has very similar performance to the SV, perhaps a bit slower.  Unfortunately I haven't ridden the R enough to make a comparison.  My gut feeling is that the E1 requires more shifting, while the R has enough extra torque to allow more flexibility.

Unfortunately there isn't enough information from Brammo or the media to really make a good decision.  I actually didn't find out that the even was a different motor until the week my bike was shipped from the factory!  I think you would be happy with either version, although my advice is to get the R now for the extra 10-12% so you don't have to question your decision later.

P.S. Expect either Empulse to be slower at mid-range than your SV while in pre-sport mode break-in.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »
860, you are more than welcome to drop by and test drive my Empulse R to compare for yourself.

shocker

• Ride Softly and Carry a Big Wattage
  • Enciter
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »
EmpulseRider, are you allowed in the sports mode already?  Let me know how the oil change goes, as I am a few full charges away.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »
EmpulseRider, are you allowed in the sports mode already?  Let me know how the oil change goes, as I am a few full charges away.

Yeah I think I am around 1000 miles now, so im in perma-sport-mode, as in, I never take it out of sport mode. :-)

Oil change was a cake walk using the method outlined in the wiki: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Empulse_Oil_Change

I got some royal purple from amazon and used "Method A" to fill er back up.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:54:44 AM by EmpulseRider »

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
860, you are more than welcome to drop by and test drive my Empulse R to compare for yourself.

Wow!  That is a super offer.  Unfortunately, I just snapped my ankle mountain biking (both bones) so my form of transportation is a walker for now.  Ugh.  Thank you very much for the offer though.  I may take you up on it sometime in the future.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »
Ouch! That's a serious accident..

Need someone to ride your bike for you for a little bit? : ) You know, keep the batteries exercised so they don't sit at full capacity..
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/