Author Topic: Decentralized Battery Grid Storage and the $13k EV  (Read 886 times)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Decentralized Battery Grid Storage and the $13k EV
« on: July 31, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
Note that I talk specifically about the Nissan LEAF, but it could apply just as easily to our bikes with CHAdeMO or similar offboard direct-DC charging/discharging units. Think CHAdeMO on the 2013 Zeros, or (presumably) SAE J1772 Combo charging on a future Empulse.

http://protomech.wordpress.com/2013/07/31/decentralized-battery-grid-storage-and-the-13k-ev/

The charger would be somewhat less effective for our bikes, as it maxes at 30A. That would provide for 3 kW charging/discharging for the 2013 Zero/Empulse bikes @ 100V.

Still.. suppose the subsidy was halved for bikes. What would a $4k subsidy (bike) / $8k (car) and 3 kW (bike) / 6 kW (car) charging installed at home and work do to encourage adoption of electric vehicles?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Decentralized Battery Grid Storage and the $13k EV
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
The only problem most vehicles won't have the power when the power companies need to access it. The only time my Empulse is ever fully charged is from about 3am to 7am, and weekends.

If my work had two way chargers, a much more significant amount of time could be spent leveling during working hours. But probably not enough to warrant the cost of the infrastructure. If each charger costs $10k installed, then the demand charge would have to be reduced by something like $500/charger/year to be cost effective. My guess is the reduction in demand charges would be more like $10/vehicle/year if it's discharging on the day that matters - and not being off-set by someone charging.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »
I don't know how much the chargers cost without subsidies. The greencarcongress article stated $4.2k installed after Japanese government subsidies.

Also, it's entirely possible the UK project ($4.3/W, $2.8/Wh) is far too expensive. EOS Energy, for example, claims $1/W and $0.16/Wh for their Genesis zinc-air battery storage system. (initial price?) .. but this may not be full installation cost.

Decentralized EV storage definitely has a problem of power being unavailable when the grid needs it (either too few EVs are plugged in, or their charge is too low) .. and the standards are evolving rapidly enough that it's hard to say how long the chargers will be used. The LEAF V2H charger is a CHAdeMO plug. Will CHAdeMO be around in 10 years?

EV storage is more likely to be used for demand leveling than shifting between day/night generation/demand deltas. Smooth out wind / solar generation curves and absorb sudden spikes in demand.

This article has some links to historical stored energy costs; the UK project is high but not extraordinarily so.
http://bravenewclimate.com/2010/04/05/pumped-hydro-system-cost/
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

emotodude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
Really cool article.

At 6kW you would only need 1-2 hours of charging outside of "grid-demand" hours for your battery to have more than the 1/3rd charge available for the grid. Seems reasonable...

Combined with home solar it allows a bit of "buffering" which will smooth the grid even more.

Another benefit worth mentioning, I love the idea of using an EV as a UPS for my home.

Bi-directional grid-tied home chargers? Yes please :)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:31:01 PM »
I think society will make use of EVs for load leveling...but it will be after the batteries are recycled out of the EV. Once the battery looses enough capacity to no longer be useful in transportation, it can be moved into stationary storage and used for another 10 to 20 years. After that it could be recycled for materials.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL