Author Topic: Downshifting from 2-1  (Read 1542 times)

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Downshifting from 2-1
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:17:40 PM »
I noticed the past couple of rides that when I try downshifting from 2nd down to first, my bike doesn't want to go into first. It almost feels like it is stuck down in the gear as when I try to push down on the shifter it feels as though it is already down (it doesn't push down at all). Has anyone else experienced this? I have just over 200 miles on my Empulse.

Thanks,
Tammie

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Downshifting from 2-1
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
Its a wet clutch. Has the oil had time to warm up and splash onto the clutch plates? I've had it too.... But only of I'm going pretty fast still and the oil is cool.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »
The transmission will feel a lot better after 1,000 miles. I was missing shifts all over the place when I first got mine, but now with 3,500 on the clock, it feels (almost) as smooth as my Suzuki.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:27:00 PM »
My first shift of a ride from 1 to 2 is always difficult.  The clutch just doesn't want to disengage.  The other direction usually isn't as bad as the bike/oil has warmed up a bit before I shift back down.  My bike has 2500 miles now.  I'm going to have the clutch action checked when I go in next week for the recall fix.

shocker

• Ride Softly and Carry a Big Wattage
  • Enciter
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 02:03:59 AM »
The very first trip taking my Empulse home, I got stuck between N-3 off the freeway ramp while waiting for a light, and I can't go down gear for the life of me.  With the light turning green, I had to go to third gear and took off from it.  Nowadays, when I can't shift gear at a stop, I know it will work once I rock the rear wheel forward and backward.

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »
Well on the way to work today, I noticed that the shifter did stay stuck down in 2nd gear. As soon as I gave it any throttle it would pop back up. I hope this resolves itself as the bike breaks in. I love the bike, but I wouldn't put up with that on my Ducati and don't think we should have to on the Empulse. Just because it's electric and we don't necessarily have to shift doesn't mean we shouldn't expect it to work correctly.

So, how about that tail tidy? I emailed Brammo but haven't heard back. Anyone having luck getting one lately?

Tammie

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 04:57:19 PM »
Tammie -

I'd take the bike into your dealer for inspection. It may need an adjustment.

While the tranny will definitely get smoother and easier with break-in, not be able to get it out of a gear doesn't sound at all normal and certainly didn't occur during my break-in period.

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
That's a good idea. I'll try to get back in to see them in the next couple of weeks. It seems to always happen when I am coasting up to a light and trying to get the most out of the regenerative braking. Once I slow down in second I try shifting into first and have had this issue.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:26:32 PM »
That's a good idea. I'll try to get back in to see them in the next couple of weeks. It seems to always happen when I am coasting up to a light and trying to get the most out of the regenerative braking. Once I slow down in second I try shifting into first and have had this issue.

Ah... more data. You MAY be experiencing what happens if you load the gears with too much force, in this case regen. Before the dealer, I'd suggest an experiment: Try using regen to brake in 2nd gear. As you're ready to downshift into 1st, twist the throttle a bit toward you until you hear the regen disappear (neutral forces; neither acceleration nor deceleration. At that point, so your shift and see if it isn't successful.

If successful, you may want to practice it several times in a row to start building muscle memory.

If it isn't at all successful after several tries, well, it's probably time for the dealer to adjust something.

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
I think you are absolutely right. I read the post about smooth shifting and finding the "sweet" spot. I had felt that spot where it feels like it is just coasting, no load on the motor but didn't think much of it. Well, it's a huge factor in shifting. On my way home from work tonight I tried to shift when there was no load on the motor. What a huge difference, so much smoother. It makes sense but being so used to letting off the throttle all the way on an ICE bike I was just putting too much load on the motor. Great post about smooth shifting!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:36:50 PM by tkthompson »

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »
Try using regen to brake in 2nd gear. As you're ready to downshift into 1st, twist the throttle a bit toward you until you hear the regen disappear (neutral forces; neither acceleration nor deceleration. At that point, so your shift and see if it isn't successful.

This wouldn't be an issue if the clutch actually would disengage when you pulled the lever.  Brammo should consider adding information about this in the manual as the clutch operation seems pretty atypical.  I was a bit concerned at first when my first up-shift of the day (while moving) would be difficult.  It works much better when warmed up.  (Winter might be interesting)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 01:07:06 AM »
If the bike is switched off, is it any easier to push with the clutch engaged vs disengaged?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 02:42:34 AM »
If the bike is switched off, is it any easier to push with the clutch engaged vs disengaged?

No difference at all.  Either way the the motor turns over.  Of course it doesn't take much effort to turn the motor over.  Also note that the bike will move from a dead stop if in gear, clutched pulled in (disengaged), and you turn the throttle (obviously not good for the clutch).

The old trick of leaving the bike in gear so it doesn't roll off its side stand will not work.  I guess I need to carry something to hold the brake on.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
The old trick of leaving the bike in gear so it doesn't roll off its side stand will not work.  I guess I need to carry something to hold the brake on.

Ahhh my friend, you need to explore the Shinysideup Emporium of Farkle Delights.  I am pretty sure he's the one that originally discovered this:

http://shop.ktm.com/com_en/brake-lever-lock.html

The finest $10 piece of plastic you can buy.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »
I'm glad this was reposted!  I thought there was something wrong with my clutch engagement!