Author Topic: Daily transport survey  (Read 1579 times)

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Daily transport survey
« on: August 02, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »
Thanks for taking the survey. Its over and I'll work on posting results.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:30:06 AM by frodus »

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Daily transport survey
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:02:14 PM »
You may want to clarify the average amount spent to commute. There are lots of ways to calculate this - depreciation on vehicle, maintenance per mile, fuel, insurance, etc. For example, I calculate that my Volvo costs me ~$0.80/mile to drive (not including insurance - it's actually worse than my 1098 was, which ended up just less than $0.60/mile), my SV is somewhere around $0.20/mile (that includes a lot of crash repairs...), and my Brammo is somewhere around  $0.04 a mile (not including insurance or any depreciation).

I ended up putting $1 if for both measures since the survey wouldn't take anything less than that. I assumed you only wanted fuel costs. My commute is 35 miles round trip, though.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:31:32 PM »
Way over thinking it. Its not that complicated. Just do a quick estimate on cost of fuel and bus/train fare to get to work. Cost per mile * miles driven.

Its not for a research study. The info I'm looking for is more like commute distance and non commute distance and where people live and what people drive.

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
Way over thinking it. Its not that complicated. Just do a quick estimate on cost of fuel and bus/train fare to get to work. Cost per mile * miles driven.

Does this include bridge tolls?  Riding the Empulse every day costs me however many cents, but if it's total cost of the actual commute we're talking about, that includes $2.50 per day for bridge toll.

(Which by the way, don't even get me started on the fact that an electric motorcycle has to pay the same toll rates as a giant Escalade or whatever.)

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Its part of the cost I guess.... But I'm speaking more vehicle related costs...  I'll be more clear if I do another. This is my first one. We'll see how it goes.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »
I went and deleted the cost per day questions. No reason to keep them really, the answers were all over the place and It wasn't well explained. I wanted it to be quick and easy, so I kept the other 8 relevant questions.

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Daily transport survey
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 01:24:11 PM »
Chicago tolls haven't picked up my empulse yet :D
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL