Author Topic: How's everyone's Rs and E1s working  (Read 1398 times)

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
How's everyone's Rs and E1s working
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:02:32 AM »
This forum isn't as busy as I'm used to.  Is everyone out riding their bikes?  I was wondering how your bikes are doing, how you've settled in with switching to pure electric, what changes as the bike break in, maintenance, and how these bikes compare to the gas ones around you or that you have owned in perceived performance and other factors you may not have thought of.

Thanks,
Richard

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: How's everyone's Rs and E1s working
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:17:18 PM »
Out riding. Too busy grinning the BrammoGrin (tm) to spend time typing!

As to how I'm doing switching to pure electric... I never want to go back to gas. In city traffic where I ride everyday, I most of all love the instant, clutchless, smooth, effortless, quiet torque off the line. It's always fun and sometimes has saved my bacon. I've posted elsewhere here about drag racing a 1000cc sport bike. Yes, this bike has performance. :)

As I predicted before I bought the Empulse, my brain has come to associate the new sounds of whine and howl (as the motor spools up and brakes back down) with my experience of speed, much like it learned to associate the blat of ICE exhaust notes. Unless I'm creeping along, I also find that pedestrians tend to notice the novel sound, especially under heavy regen in sport mode as I approach their presence in intersections: this is a good thing.

I usually arrive home each evening with 30 to 60% SOC remaining and love plugging into my charger which is on a timer to start after midnight when my rates go down. I love waking up each morning to a full tank and am ultra-smug in telling my car-owning friends I haven't bought gasoline since December, or 8000 miles, so far. I do enjoy stopping at gas stations every once in a while, just to empty my bladder. ::)

After break-in the transmission got easier to shift, and I've learned to be more precise and smoother in my throttle control. I do like shifting, especially downshifting for regen braking, but I also appreciate NOT having to shift all day long in city traffic. My clutch hand used to ache at the end of the day.

I replaced the tires at 6500 miles with Pilot Road 3's and find them much more forgiving of road bumps and just as grippy in fast turns.

There's a long, steep, uphill run from the freeway toward my house that I've used as a kind of comparative test run for different bikes I've owned. When there's no traffic, and with no cross streets, and being a divided boulevard, I feel safe twisting the throttle all the way for the almost 1/4 mile run. The Empulse R can get to 80 mph, compared to my 109 hp BMW R1200R getting to 90 mph and my 500 cc Yamaha TMax getting to 70 mph. Plenty for me. This translates into my being very much at ease in fast freeway traffic, where the Empulse is also the most comfortable lane-splitting bike I've had.

I don't mind the easy DIY maintenance of the tranny oil every 3K miles, and don't miss fighting to change buried spark plugs and get the valves just right. After the BMW, I vowed I'd never go back to the dirty mess of a chain drive, but I find that using Dupont's Teflon chain lube solved the messy part and is really quite simple: I spray it on every Friday night when I come home. I scrub the chain with solvent when it looks really grungy, which is probably every couple of months. Not very time consuming and still allows me to feel "mechanical."

The only component I plan to change (after adding a loud horn and brighter lights, and revalving the rear shock) is to get a custom seat built. The stock seat is fine for a sport bike, but I've got an old skinny butt and sit, as a commuter, more inactively than a kid throwing himself back and forth in the twisties. In addition to achieving less pressure by having a more contoured contact, I'd also like to build the seat up some so I can move forward an aft instead of being shoved down into one and only one groove. While raising the seat will somewhat impact handling, it will also make my knees happier, a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

To sum up my experience: this bike is the Ultimate Street Fighter and suits my needs, with minimal customization, perfectly. And still looks purty. :D

There. Back to riding!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:22:40 PM by Shinysideup »

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
I'm out riding but not enough!  I love riding it but mostly my weekend fun or weekday errand runs.

It's such a fun bike!  I am slowly accumulating track gear for hopefully a future event.

I also agree...about the forum...I log on once a day to see if there is anything new and find myself disappointed when there hasn't been any new post!

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 10:58:43 PM »
Sorry I've been MIA... we've been busy!   :-X

I'm coming up on 2,000 miles on my personal R and I agree with others here that the gearbox gets sweeter with age.  I'm planning on some upgrades over the winter when I can't ride as much that I'll try to document here.  The TTX program has yielded a lot of parts that would make for great accessories...

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:32 PM »
Mine's good! Aside from me tipping it over in the garage, it's been great! I've put about 2k miles on it as well. It's nicely broken in and I've adjusted things to my liking, although I do need to adjust the suspension a little, it's a bit firm for my riding style.

I'd like a little less agressive regen in sport mode. Three mods would be awesome. Low accel/low regen, mid accel/mid regen and a high accel/high regen. Not sure if possible. Also, I don't know why the motor needs to be able to spin up faster than the bike would ever accelerate... maybe 10% more. I sometimes (rarely) miscalculate my shift and the RPM pegs the limiter. From my experience tuning drives, maybe a ramp up and ramp down rate adjustment would help a little bit.

I love the feel of the bike now that I'm used to it, it's a blast to ride..... and it gets lots of awesome looks and comments.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »
My E1 is doing great, with 3000 miles now.  The bike was too firm at first.  It's better now with a lot of pre-load added to the front and back and setting the damping to maximum soft front and pretty soft in the back.  (Many thanks to implovator for his helpful suspension posts!).  I also got an Airhawk seat cusion that works pretty well on the "U" shaped seat.  I would like to raise the bars an inch or two, but I don't think there is enough slack in the wires and hydraulic lines to do that.  Note that I'm more interested in a good commuting bike that can easily handle the highway instead of a tuned sports bike.  But I don't mind the sport bike every once and while  :D

Extra driving lights are the next project using Rigid 20W LED lights.  (http://www.rigidindustries.com/Dually-LED-Light-Spot-p/dually-sp.htm).

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:25:08 PM »
Got just over 1300 miles on my bike and it has been an absolute dream. I would actually have much more riding under my belt if I didnt suffer a painful inner thigh injury that made riding rather painful, but Im back at it now, riding every chance I get. BrammoGrin (tm) still in full effect ;-)

The bike has been 100% problem free, but I still need to get the recalled tail section replaced. Also planning some mods and should have some glamor shots soon eventually. I should have more time on my hands after riding season is over ;D.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:26:42 PM by EmpulseRider »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:30:38 AM »
The TTX program has yielded a lot of parts that would make for great accessories...

Brian, you are always such a tease!

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:04:43 PM »
  Note that I'm more interested in a good commuting bike that can easily handle the highway instead of a tuned sports bike.

I'm very close to deciding to get an Empulse, so this thread has been helpful.  The quote above describes my philosophy exactly.  I've done 3 test rides and decided what I really appreciate is how in control I feel.  I haven't felt it to that extent that on any other motorcycle.  Probably an E1 for me.  The tough question is whether to keep the Enertia.  It becomes largely redundant, but it's just so cute.

Bushyrider

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »
I love, LOVE this bike. I echo everyone else's praise about instant torque, smoothness, and control. This is my fourth bike and my second electric. I would never go back to a combustion engine either. The ride and performance of the Empulse R is just too sweet. I am also really enjoying the charging experience. I am exploring new areas and learning where all the best charge spots are located. I am delighted to find that every town in my area has at least two charge terminals. While I charge I hike around and explore the town or community, or I grab a bite to eat. This bike is definitely a dream bike for me.
Thanks,
Bushy

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
The TTX program has yielded a lot of parts that would make for great accessories...

Brian, you are always such a tease!

I agree!  I wonder if the TTX program yielded the 30 min charge ability

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 11:10:02 PM »
I agree!  I wonder if the TTX program yielded the 30 min charge ability

I suspect it has.  If you listen to my podcast interviews with Brian or the riders charge time has been an obstacle, especially when you add the Engage prototype and have 4 bikes in the pit all needing juice.

Thank you all for your replies!  I want to do a roundtable with Empulse owners in the future.  I have been slow with my site as well.  One it's a busy time of year in the bicycle shop and there hasn't been that much news.  When big teams like Lightning and MotoCzysz don't show there's not much to talk about.  Well, that's not completely true, there's plenty of old racing to analyze, but I've little motivation to do it.  Think I'm going to just work on podcasts for a while.