Author Topic: Downshifting from 2-1  (Read 1543 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Downshifting from 2-1
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 07:07:09 PM »
On the subject of clutch engagement, mine has been sticking pretty badly for the last few hundred miles. I could literally start up cold, roll down the street in 1st at redline and then pull the clutch in. Despite the strong engine braking (Sport mode) the clutch wouldn't break loose for the first two to three attempts. I've owned many wet clutches but I've never had a splash oil system so this behavior is totally new to me. I think I only started to notice it recently because it's been worse. I just changed my oil early at 2700 miles and it was pretty thick with clutch material. I think the added viscosity was creating stronger suction between the plates and that's exacerbated the problem. After getting the fresh oil in there, it's much better but it is still a bit sticky when I first start up the bike.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
We just got done validating a performance clutch from Barnett for the Empulse R.  I've got one in my personal bike and the TTX bikes are running them as well.  Kevlar fibers and about 25% stiffer springs.  I've been really happy with the improved performance over the standard clutch, which struggles to handle the 60 ft-lbs of torque running through it if the rider is aggressive (like me).  The springs will help with the disengagement issue you mention and the stiffness change at the clutch lever is barely perceivable. Adam, our Service Manager, just got the part number to stock a few of these for service, but your dealer could also order them directly from Barnett with this part number.  I would get it touch with Adam if you're interested.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »
I noticed the past couple of rides that when I try downshifting from 2nd down to first, my bike doesn't want to go into first. It almost feels like it is stuck down in the gear as when I try to push down on the shifter it feels as though it is already down (it doesn't push down at all). Has anyone else experienced this? I have just over 200 miles on my Empulse.

Maybe you're already doing this, but try clutching out between downshifts.  i.e... instead of grabbing the clutch and going 3rd to 2nd to 1st, go clutch in, downshift to 2nd, clutch out, clutch in, downshift to 1st. 

You can kind of see/hear me do this in this video, each downshift is an independent event "click", "vrrroooo", "click", "vrrrrooo"... :

As a bonus, you'll learn a technique that will keep you from locking up your rear wheel going into a corner under hard braking at the track!  8)

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »
Yeah, I already do that to try and make use of the regenerative braking as much as I can. When I wet to the dealer for the fender recall, they confirmed the issue but had n idea hw to fix it. I talked with Adam at Brammo and he was great. Their rep was going to be at the dealer that day and they were goin to discuss it with them. I think the mechanics at the dealerships will definitely have a learning curve and the early adopters will need to be patient. So far, Brammo has been great and I hope to hear back from the dealer soon.

My 600 mile oil change is also due. I will be doing that this weekend, so maybe that will help.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »
Just curious... Why didn't Brammo go with a dry clutch?  With a dry clutch you would be able to use whatever oil works the best in a gear box.  Most of the MotoGP bikes now use a dry clutch, so it's not a power transfer issue.