Author Topic: My E1  (Read 1278 times)

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
My E1
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
My E1 should be here within a couple days, arriving at Scuderia West.  I finally reached the revelation that, with an 8-month old baby, I will not be doing rides longer than a few hours anytime soon.  It's not that I absolutely positively can't, it's more that on the quality of time continuum, it just doesn't make sense for me.  Rather than become just another motorcycling statistic  :-\, I decided I would do make a move to put more quality into those shorter rides, so I sold the Moto Guzzi and ordered an Empulse.

After two long test rides on the R, I feel pretty certain I will be ok with an E1.  Taking the R out on the superb twisties around where I live in Southern Marin, I felt it had quite a bit more power than I needed to get my thrill.  To me, in that context, and with my riding style, the Empulse was more about the handling and smooth power delivery than it was about reaching any torque limits.  And the suspension felt quite good without adjustment.

Once I have the bike I'll of course report back with some E1 v. R observations, and maybe I can get together with ShinySide for a closer comparison test.

Brammo will be happy to hear that the trade in program did factor into my thinking.  One of my hesitations about buying at this time was the fear of a forhead-slapping moment if a new, improved Empulse was announced 6 months down the road.  If the point of the trade in program was to remove that psychological barrier, in my case it worked.

I didn't initially plan on having both an Enertia Plus and an Empulse, and in the long run I may end up selling the Plus.  But I'll try living with them both, first.  Might turn out that they are very complementary, and between commuting and weekend rides I could easily put 6-7K annually on each.  The financially prudent thing to do would be to sell the Plus, but I like it so much.  The Plus is far from thrilling, but its such a functional and easy way to get around.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My E1
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
Congratulations!
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:46:53 PM »
Congrats on what I obviously think is the Right Bike Choice!

Sure, I'm up for a E1/R comparison. I'm most interested in if I can tell the difference in motor torque, since I'm such a racer (not).

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »
Awesome!  Congratulations.  You must post the obligatory picture as soon as you pick it up, obviously.

Consider me also signed up for a joint E1/R comparison if you ever need one.  I'm in Oakland and work in SF, if you are in the area.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »
I also live about half a mile down the road from Shiny with my R...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
Well that makes four of us.  We should meet up, for sure.  I live in Larkspur and work in the city.  Usually can charge up at work, so would have more range to head south or east.

I picked it up today.  Was planning to snap a picture from the Marin Headlands but it was shrouded in a dense fog.  Once I'm past the 150 mile point maybe I can compare the E1 to the R's I test drove, but keeping it below 3500 rpm doesn't really make that possible. 

Even with that restriction, I'm thrilled to be on the Empulse.  Riding home tonight, just like on my test drives, I find myself not even thinking about making the bike do what I want . . . it just happens.  Crazy how the Empulse so quickly feels like a natural extension of your physical and neurological systems.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »
In my experience, that's the best part of this bike: you think... it goes.

I tell riders that every bike talks to you as you throw it in a curve.

Some say:   "Oh sh*t!".
Some say:   "Wee! We made it this time!"
Some say:   "Ja, sure, vee can surely do this thing you haff asked of us."

Whereas the Empulse says, "Really? That's all you want?"

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
If I did this right, there should be a picture of my E1 charging from the Level II station at my work.  I work at the Bay Area Air Pollution Control District, so we've got a few level II's in the building.

Cortech bags fit nicely.  Looking forward to adding a windshield when it's available.  The aftermarket option doesn't look so great, so I may wait for the Brammo one.

Quick question, what charging rate should I indicate for my Chargepoint account?  I looked through the Empulse specs but didn't see this.  Is it 3.3?

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »
I usually see peak rates of around 2.8kw on my charging status in the Chargepoint app...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 12:16:03 PM »
On Treasure Island, looking towards SF.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:17:34 PM »
Who's the naked chick dancing on your bike? ;D
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
Very observant, Brammofan, you don't miss a thing, do you?   ;D

I don't know who she is but I suspect she probably "danced" for the first time at Burning Man.

Past 150 miles and so can rev it a little and use Sport mode.  I really don't feel like I'm missing anything with the E1 instead of the R.  Plenty of torque for my needs.  Shifting doesn't seem significantly different.  This is based on my memory of test rides on the R.  I might have a different opinion after a side-by-side test.  But I have no doubts that the E1 motor is more than good enough for me.  Might matter to folks who take the Empulse to the track or who really wring it out on the streets, but for me I'm quite satisfied. 

Ordered my new shifter peg today after yesterday's spill.  $14 with tax, for the whole assembly.  Brammo parts are cheap! 

Also realized today my left side bars are every so slightly bent.  Might just live with them that way, doesn't seem to make a difference in feel.  It is annoying to have an almost new bike with a symetrical flaw, however minor, so I might end up renewing the bar just for the psychological comfort.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »
Maybe if it's ever so slightly bent, it can be ever so slightly unbent?

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »
Also realized today my left side bars are every so slightly bent.  Might just live with them that way, doesn't seem to make a difference in feel.  It is annoying to have an almost new bike with a symetrical flaw, however minor, so I might end up renewing the bar just for the psychological comfort.

Yeah when I dropped mine I sprung for a replacement handlebar and footpeg bracket.  I didn't think the bent footpeg bracket would bother me, but it eventually did.  Anyway both parts were fantastically reasonably priced -- especially in contrast to my Multistrada, which seems to constantly be breaking parts that are $200+ and take three weeks to arrive.

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »
Maybe if it's ever so slightly bent, it can be ever so slightly unbent?

Great (bent?) minds think alike.  I think I got them straightened.  It was just a matter of putting the front wheel in a chock so I could get leverage without pulling the whole bike over.