Author Topic: RIP shifter peg  (Read 2533 times)

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
RIP shifter peg
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
My goodness.  Well, the Empulse on the track was boatloads of fun as usual -- so much fun that about halfway through the day I went to upshift and . . . . couldn't!  I slowed briefly and looked down, and there was no peg at all on the end of the shifter arm.

It appears that scraping footpegs all the way around Thunderhill eventually took its toll.  I'm not entirely sure whether the peg itself scraped, or the vibration from the footpegs managed to shake it loose, or whatever . . . but for the immediate future I will be shifting with a super sweet hex bolt drilled through the shift arm with some duct tape wrapped around it!

Sooo I suppose I'll have to start thinking about rearsets.  I know the TTX rearsets are incompatible with the presence of a kickstand, so it appears I will have to make my own!  I am sure zipties will be featured prominently.

Also pictures will be forthcoming once the track photographer folks put them online.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RIP shifter peg
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »
I knew that the use of the clutch lever during shifting (upshifting, at least) was considered optional, but pretty sure that the shifter is mandatory. ;)
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:23:26 PM »
holy crap!

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:53:41 PM »
Went down today on my 4-day old E1.  it was very strange, a normal left hand turn, but a car appeared out of nowhere surprising me and i must have touched the front brake, surprised at how quickly I went down.

Anyway, I'd wager the gear shifter peg takes a hike on every lefty lowside.  Mine is goneski.  The handlebar end lost some plastic and the clutch lever is scuffed, but that's all the damage, not a scratch beside that.

Shifting without the peg is difficult but not impossible.  I'll probably leave it in 3rd the majority of the time until a new peg is on.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:56:51 AM »
Went down today on my 4-day old E1.  it was very strange, a normal left hand turn, but a car appeared out of nowhere surprising me and i must have touched the front brake, surprised at how quickly I went down.

Sorry to hear about that Adan.  Well your E1 is now broken in.  My E1 managed to stay upright until the tail recall at which time the dealership dropped it.  :(

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:05:39 AM »
I usually don't feel like a bike is really mine until it's been down  8)  There's probably a lesson in this for how to ride the Empulse, perhaps that it has much stronger brakes than bikes I've owned recently.  Though again I'm really not sure why this happened, seemed like it shouldn't have . . .

The handlebar seems to take the brunt of a fall like this.  Aside from the shifter peg, nothing else touched.  I guess my leg also took the impact, but I'll be fine, just a little sore today.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
Mine's been down at  no speed in the garage where I forgot that I had put the kickstand up.  :-[
The shifter arm was bent in toward the bike, but a crescent wrench easily brought it back in line.

But I like skuzzle's method of letting the dealer do the break-in. That way you get the initial fall done without any of the self-blame.  ;)

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »
I'm having trouble replacing the shifter. I can't seem to get to the bolt that holds on the foot peg. Do I need to take that whole assembly apart to remove the peg in order to change the shifter?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:31:35 PM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »
Disclaimer: I have not replaced my shift lever. What follows is therefore conjecture.

It appears the shift lever rotates around the foot peg anchor assembly, so the foot peg would definitely have to be removed  before the shift lever would  be free of the bike.

The foot peg is fastened to the bike by an outward-facing Allen-head machine screw that requires a 6 mm wrench. There's not much room to get the wrench handle to turn the screw, but I didn't fiddle with my Allen sockets which may or may not work in the confined space.

Worst case if you can't operate a wrench in there: Remove the whole assembly to which the foot peg bolts. All of those machine screws have their heads on the outside of the bike, facing in, so there should be more room. I'd take a closeup photo and label the screws as I took them out to make reassembly foolproof.

Be sure to let us know what worked for you, for I'm sure others will need this knowledge in the future. ::)

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 01:14:10 AM »
They replaced the whole assembly on mine.  I think (but am not sure) it was their opinion at Scuderia that it was not practical just to replace the peg.  The replacement for whole assembly cost $14.  I spent more on pizza tonight.  However, it was excellent pizza.  Gialina, in Glen Park, SF.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
lol $14 is like a sushi roll....just one!  That's pretty cheap.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »
$14 is practically the cheapest price anyone can pay for anything on any motorcycle!

RolfC

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 06:44:46 AM »
So I can join the group. Mine fell over when I tried to put the brammo in the garage. But now I need a new shit lever. Where can I order it now brammo and victory are discontinued.
2014 Brammo Empulse-R

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »
I'd try your dealer first, assuming that they are a Polaris dealer (Indian). Then, you could send an email to sales@brammo.com to see whether they can help.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

cybergodzilla

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
This won't come up now; I just happen to save a direct link:
http://store.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/parts/#/Victory/V16EZBRRBB%2f%2fCB_EMPULSE_TT_(2016)_(R03)/FINAL_DRIVE%2c_GEAR_SHIFT_CONTROL_-_V16EZBRRBB
You need Item 23 1021957.
Brammo would send the assembly; Victory, just the peg priced 4X as before. Also you'll need to press the bushing out from your old peg & the rubber sleeve... Should arrive in a week
Cyber, from SoCal
2014 Brammo Empulse
2014 Empulse =D
2014 CBR650F B-)
2014 CFR250L =O