Author Topic: Cold Battery Cutback  (Read 744 times)

shocker

• Ride Softly and Carry a Big Wattage
  • Enciter
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Cold Battery Cutback
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »
How do you deal with a cold battery cutback?  My garage was like 43 degree the other day, and my Empulse showed me this warning.  I just rode it out normally, and I didn't feel anything strange.  The warning went away 5 minutes later.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Battery Cutback
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:11:46 PM »
Turn the vehicle on for a few minutes. When it's cold the cell heaters will being the batteries up to temp. Or... Keep it plugged in. The cell heaters will keep the bats at a normal temp and the bms will stop the charger from charging once it's fully charged.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: Cold Battery Cutback
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »
How do you deal with a cold battery cutback?  My garage was like 43 degree the other day, and my Empulse showed me this warning.  I just rode it out normally, and I didn't feel anything strange.  The warning went away 5 minutes later.

As Travis mentioned, the best way to avoid this is by keeping the bike on the charger overnight.  Otherwise the batteries will "cold soak" in your garage.  The first level of "cold batt cutback" is pretty minimal, so I'm not surprised that you didn't feel the intervention.  Once the batteries start discharging, the higher impedance due to the cold temps usually warms them up along with the heaters being active when the bike is on.  Just another way Brammo is looking out for your precious investment in the world's best electric motorcycle!   8)