Author Topic: Great Race Weekend for Brammo at AFM Round 7!  (Read 3699 times)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: Great Race Weekend for Brammo at AFM Round 7!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
Some more great photos that rolled in late...

250 Superbike Race with the Empulse TTX:

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »
real writer? ha, thanks, but I'm sure we all know that is far from true. :)

I just throw about words like a monkey throws poo.

As for typos and grammatical errors...those are features, not flaws.

Great write up, and as always, killer photos.

G

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 09:38:48 AM »
And more from the other races...

Formula 1 with Shane Turpin on the Empulse RR:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:11:54 AM by BrammoBrian »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
And a couple more...

EBoz gets his lean on in the 750 Superbike race:

EBoz leading a pack of angry 750 Superbike "gassers":

Shane gets congratulated on a well deserved Formula 40 win (gotta love the comraderie!):

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:42:43 AM by BrammoBrian »

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
Very nice. After trailing Kenyon all summer, what was done to the TTX to get it that far ahead of Kenyon?

G

I'll be the prick.  The rider.  Shelina is still racing Supersport in the AMA.  EBoz was an AMA Superbike regular for years.  She's just not there yet.  And Kenyon used to race the old Formula Extreme on a hopped up 750 and do pretty darn well against guys who became very fast, so he's no slouch.  I think the results we are seeing are a much greater reflection of rider's abilities and skill than anything to do with the bikes.  I feel Shelina has come a really long way in just a short amount of time as a rider, so there is no disrespect to her at all.  I am quite certain she'd say the same thing herself.  Just my opinion though.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
Prick...  ;)

Taking a look at the positive side of this, there was a time, not so long ago, when we could've put a first year club racer on the bike or Valentino Rossi and the result would have been the same.  As the performance of the bikes has improved, rider skill is playing a larger role in the race result and extracting faster and faster lap times from the equipment... 

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
This is the thread.  I talked to Shelina right after posted that and fessed up accordingly.    She talked about the setup issue Brian spoke of.  Make no mistake, she thinks/knows she's faster.  And I'm really not one to argue . . . well, with her anyway. ;)  And man did she want to run again to prove it, but that FIM instructor gig in Spain was too good to pass up.

I'll say this.  With the experience I have setting up mountain bike suspension at my shop I think I would have had very similar actions and reaction that Brian did.  Hell I get cranky when my customers mess with the preload in their forks from one trail to another, instead of the dampening.  But I have along way to go before I'm a factory race mechanic for Giant or GT.  Having listened to Shelina over the past year it's been a real insight into very different suspension settings need to be from one track to another.  To tell the truth, a bit of a shock.  So much to learn.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 11:34:38 AM »
mylaps has a nice lap time comparison tool. You can use it to compare lap times for the 250SB race between Eric Bostrom on the Brammo Empulse TTX (half-fairing) and Kenyon Kluge on the 2014 Zero prototype (sport fairing).

From Brian's race report:
Eric jumped the start, stopped the bike to avoid taking any advantage and being protested, missed the actual start flag dropping, wheelied, then got going again.  Not-exactly-what-we-had-planned…. Oh well.  Being the cool, calm, and collected racer he is, EBoz put it out of his head and got to work.  He was able to make up a lot of ground on the faster backside of the track and even made a couple of passes on the front straight on Mark McKinney (super-fast 250 rider), but would lose the position back diving into Turn 1.  By lap 2, he had made it up into a highly contested 3rd place, which he held until lap 4 when the motor controller began reducing current due to temperature.  With his wings clipped, Eric fell back into the clutches of Mark McKinney and Robert Wetterau and managed to hold 5th for the final 2 laps.  It looked like he might take 4th back at the line, but Wetterau got a better drive off Turn 14 onto the front straight and Eric wasn’t able to push past before the start/finish.

Looking at the fastest times, Eric was about 3.5 seconds faster. That's a pretty significant gap.

Both bikes also lost performance as the race wore on. In Eric's case, the motor controller began to overheat and reduce power by lap 4, following his 2:07.7 fastest time on lap 3. Eric slipped 1.4 seconds on lap 4, 3.0 seconds on lap 5, and 1.5 seconds on lap 6.

Kenyon was riding a 2014 prototype bike. I assume he was using a prototype SR motor with the higher temp motor magnets, which should permit the motor to reach higher temperatures safely. He also had ducting forcing additional air through the motor.

Despite these tweaks, Kenyon also suffered from reduced laptimes as the race wore on. His fastest time was on lap 2 at 2:11.2. He slipped 1.6 seconds on lap 3, 2.2 seconds by lap 4, 2.2 seconds on lap 5, and 2.9 seconds on lap 6.

It's hard to say how much time was lost due to lap traffic, normal variation from lap to lap, and how much to reduced performance. Eric dropped from #3 on lap 4 to #5 for laps 5 and 6, and Kenyon dropped from #8 on lap 3 to #12 for laps 4, 5, and 6.

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
Protomech,

Thanks for sharing - I had not noticed that tool on myLaps.  I'll use it to take a look at what we need to do to close the gap to the front runner, Eric Thompson, on his purpose-built 450 SuperSingle. 

We made some steps in the right direction at the last test with EBoz dropping to a 2:07 flat in trackday traffic and able to maintain performance over a simulated race distance.  I'm optimistic we'll see some 2:05s next season...