Author Topic: New rumors on next version of the Empulse  (Read 983 times)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
New rumors on next version of the Empulse
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:46:51 AM »
I'm hearing unvalidated rumors about upcoming changes to the Empluse that might have something to do with the guaranteed trade-back bucks for buying a current year brammo now, and being able to trade in on a new model at full MSRP.  Here is what I have pieced together from different rumors I've heard floated around:

1)  ABS as an option in all versions for both US and European releases.

2)  Updated Parker motors and controller updates for the R, E1 stays with the same motor, but gets efficiency updates that improve range, making the R even more the power model, and the E1 the winner for range.

4)  New battery packs, but no details.  Better range?  Lower cost?  More power delivery at WOT?  Don't know.

5)  Revised footpeg configuration

I'm sitting around in bed with a badly broken ankle (damn Mountain Bike hates me) I might as will violate some trusts and start asking questions.  Anyone else hear these same things? 

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: New rumors on next version of the Empulse
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »
<3 speculation : )

EU requires ABS on all motorcycles > 125cc by 2016. Presumably this will also apply for the electrics, despite the lack of displacement. Brammo is probably a little early with ABS in 2014, but still very good to have.

Perhaps this is why you can't buy the Empulse in Europe yet .. Brammo may just be waiting until they can sell a ABS model.

Interesting @ updates to the motors. I suspect the Empulse will need the power bump to fend off a Size 6 Zero in stoplight racing. And of course the Energica, supposing it comes out in 2015, will be in a slightly higher power class and (probably) price class.

WHERE'S #3? WHAT SECRETS DOES IT HIDE D : Maybe a small weight reduction? Eh? Eh?

Brammo switched to Farasis cells for their RR bikes at Indy eRoadRacing, presumably 25Ah pouch cells. Reportedly Shane's bike was getting somewhat tired (it was originally Steve-O's bike, pack created for the 2012 race season) and it made sense to refresh both bikes.

Brammo currently uses 10Ah pouch cells in the Empulse, each module is 4s9p.

Suppose they swapped to the Farasis cells for the Empulse, probably in a 4s4p configuration. I don't have even approximate dimensions for the current cells Brammo is using, but it's possible that they could do this and retain their existing battery box or tweak it slightly, allowing them to retain the existing Empulse look with 7 battery modules.

Amusingly, this would give them the exact same logical battery configuration as Zero's ZF11.4 - 28s4p 10.0 kWh. (Brammo stacks their modules in series, Zero stacks their modules in parallel .. but the logical configuration is the same). Cell weight probably would go up slightly with the change, making an overall weight (or even holding steady on weight) more challenging.

With the same battery cell and configuration AND the same motor controller (Sevcon Size 6), then effective power truly would come down to tuning, cooling systems, motor size and gearing.

This is a ~11% bump in energy, which extrapolating out from the 2013 Empulse range would give it 134 city miles, 85 mixed miles, 62 highway miles. So perhaps slightly more for E1?

Assuming Brammo switched for the Enertia Plus as well, they would probably go from a 12s7p 70Ah module to 12s3p 75Ah.

Revised footpegs make a lot of sense. I expect we'll see clip-ons as a factory option as well. Perhaps E1 set up with original footpeg/handlebar configuration, R set up with racier footpeg and clipons?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:55:58 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
New rumors on next version of the Empulse
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:04:05 AM »
Woo these all sound great!

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »
I'm glad for the trade-in program, otherwise I'd be seething with regret right now, hearing about these rumors.  Actually, I probably would not have bought my E1 when I did were it not for the trade in program.

Additional range on the E1 would probably tempt me to trade in at full MSRP.  Doubt that anything else would.  I'd have to pay again for freight and set-up (presumably no sales tax if the sticker prices equate), so it's not a no brainer.

Whatever range you have, there's always something just over the horizon that beckons you.  I took the Empulse out for its first real joy ride this past weekend, over to route 1 and towards Tomales.  There's a beautiful stretch of road between Pt. Reyes and Tomales with some perfect curves and several rockin oyster farms.  I got about halfway through that stretch before hitting 55% SOC, then turned around because I couldn't be late coming home.  Hog Island oyster farm is the best of the bunch, but I can't get there without a charge.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:28:40 AM »
Upgrades!  ;D
I don't know if I would trade in or sell my bike for the upgraded model, but if Brammo is able to retro fit a more dense battery pack and other components that would increase range/performance for my Empulse R then I would definitely want the upgrades.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:48:36 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »
One advantage of upgrades vs. trade-ins for residents of CA is that our rebates require us to maintain ownership (tracked via vehicle registrations I believe) for 3 years.  You can sell the bike and pay back a pro-rated return and apply for the rebate again, but it would be much simpler to just swap the battery packs (or whatever components) and keep the same VIN...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
From a post I wrote over a month ago:
Well, the season is over before it should have been here in North America, and we’ve only one round left in Europe before the World Final.  Turns out it’s almost time for the 2014 line up announcements, as well.  I haven’t been that worried or excited for 2014 because from the language we’ve been seeing from both Brammo and Zero, there shouldn’t be much difference.  But then I read this quote from the Electric Generation’s Friday at Five interview with Craig Brammscher (CEO of Brammo)”

“Many of the innovations and developments that come from our racing program find their way into our production vehicles, that’s one of the main benefits of racing. For example, our racing drive train is currently making its way to production, so you will see that in the near future”

Of course my first question is which RR drivetrain.  Parker won’t leave those motors alone (our kind of folks) and it seems they have been running a Reinhart controller this year.  But then Brammo released that they were offering a guaranteed trade-in of full MSRP of any bike purchased between the end of August and end of this month for a full year from date of purchase.  What could you possibly need to trade in your Empulse R for in a year?  So being me, I put these two things together and was certain this was a sign that a liter bike killer Brammo was going to arrive a year earlier than I had suspected.  Be glad you didn’t see the little dance I did when I thought I had figured out Brammo had something really killer coming out for 2014.  But I decided to give Brammo a chance at giving their side and got in contact with Brain Wismann.  “Captain Buzzkill” had this to say:

”The guaranteed trade program is mainly offered to give potential customers reassurance that they won’t see their purchase of a 2013 model seem foolish once the 2014 model year bikes come out.  It also allows someone that’s wanted a bike, but is waiting to here about 2014 models, some incentive to purchase now and enjoy what’s left of this riding season knowing that the 2014 model is still an option.  This promotion, coupled with the 5 year battery warranty, is designed to give our dealers and customers faith that we stand behind our products and are not going to just do a “fire sale” to get rid of 2013s.  This also helps protect the re-sale value of the bikes that our customers have invested in.  Hope that helps clarify things a bit.

In regards to Craig’s comments, I can say that we have multiple projects in the works and that while you may see some initial prototypes soon, the timeline for production launch for a new program is still around 2 years.  We’re hoping to do a better job this time around of managing customer expectations on delivery timing.  That said, it is understandable that Craig would get excited about what’s around the corner from Brammo… “

[Sigh]  Well, it’s not bad news, but no where as good as I thought.