Author Topic: Gold Peak pulls the Plug on Vectrix  (Read 789 times)

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Gold Peak pulls the Plug on Vectrix
« on: October 22, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
It's unfortunate but for a second time Vectrix is in serious trouble as it seems Gold Peak (the current owner of Vectrix) has stopped operations.

But maybe it provides an opportunity to Brammo to acquire some nice patents?
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Gold Peak pulls the Plug on Vectrix
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
I have heard great things about the Vectrix throttle control. That could be a nice pick up for the Enertia Plus or other non-shifty EV.

G

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
I really feel sorry for Vectrix.  They were a very early (and perhaps the first) practical, freeway-legal, production electric "motorcycle".  They did a lot of hard work, and spent a lot of money, getting their product to the market.  But the price was higher than the market would bear at the time and selling it though car dealers (at least that is what they did in San Francisco) never worked out.  In the U.S. car dealers just don't like the type of customers motorcycles attract.   :(

Then they sold the scooters (in the Bay Area) through Marin BMW, where I went for my first and only test ride.  I was quite impressed with the Vectrix's performance, handling and innovations, such as the throttle design.  But a year or two later the Marin BMW motorcycle owner had run the business into the ground and that was the end of Vectrix around here to my knowledge (and BMW in Marin County).

Later I saw a few articles about Vectrix, but I can't recall ever seeing one on the road or reading about a local Vectrix dealer.  Motorcycle Consumer News tested a new Vectrix VX-1 LI+ in April 2012 and seemed to like it.  But I never heard much after that, such as where they were being sold.  My guess is that the new Vectrix company suffered from lack of steady funding and perhaps poor management.  Maybe they will return, but I wouldn't put any money on it unless they are picked up by a major (Japanese?) motorcycle company that wants to jump start their entry into the EV field. 
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »
It seems there might still be some life left in Vectrix according to this post from "official vectrix"

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/13594-gold-peak-pulls-plug#comment-70774

Once you go EV, gas is history!