Author Topic: R and E1 comparison  (Read 920 times)

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
R and E1 comparison
« on: October 31, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »
Bill and I met for a brief ride this morning.  It was a fine, sunny Halloween Eve's day in San Francisco.  We traded bikes and rode from midtown out to Treasure Island and then back to the Panhandle.  Not a very rigorous or scientific comparison test, but enough to form some solid impressions.

Bill's bike is modified by, among other things, suspension adjustments and a taller, more cushioned Bill Mayer customed seat.  His bike soaks up bumps much better than my stock E1!  I didn't particularly like how the taller seat seemed to affect handling -- I would only make that change if I really couldn't take the normal ride -- but I have to admit that his bike is far more comfortable, especially on the pitted streets of San Francisco, and it still handles extremely well compared to most motorcycles.

Comparing the ride of the E1 to what I can remember about the test rides I did on the R, they do not seem all that different, so I think the differences between mine and Bill's bike must be mostly due to his customizations.

I did not notice the need to shift gears less on the R as compared to the E1.  I'm pretty sure there is some difference there, but it did not leap out at me going from one bike to the other. 

The difference in torque is very noticeable, however.  Normal mode on the R seems to be roughly the equivalent of Sport mode on the E1, and sport mode the E1 cannot achieve the arm-pulling torque of sport mode on the R.

The difference in regen is likewise fairly noticeable.  Regen in sport mode on the R will practically bring you to a stop all by itself, not so on the E1.

The difference is fairly dramatic, but in my opinion it will only matter to folks who want to exploit the hooligan potential of the Empulse.  Granted, that may be lots of folks.  But for me, I still feel good about choosing the E1.  My background is not in sport bikes, but in standards and adventure bikes.  Normal mode on the E1 is quite enough performance for my daily riding, and the uptick to Sport is a good match for my most spirited riding style.

It was fun playing hooky with Bill for about an hour.  The Bay Area riders should do a broader meet up sometime.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: R and E1 comparison
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 01:02:42 AM »
The Zero S was only .4 second slower 0-60 and about the same amount slower in the 1/4 mile according to the Cycle World article.  I assume the E1 would be slower than the Zero in both measurements.  I also wonder if the E1 is capable of breaking 100 MPH since the R only made it to 103 in the Cycle World test.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
Thanks for the write up!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
The Zero S was only .4 second slower 0-60 and about the same amount slower in the 1/4 mile according to the Cycle World article. 

I think the real-world difference is shown in this quote from the article:

"The single benefit that the Brammo derives from its multi-speed transmission is a stronger launch and quicker acceleration. Its 0–30-mph time is 1.61 seconds versus the Zero’s 2.31..."

I don't do much (any) 1/4 mile drag races, but I shoot out in front of traffic at stoplights many many times each day on my job in San Francisco. That liter-bike-beating acceleration is both useful and fun, satisfying, as Adan points out, the hooligan in me. ;)

It was great getting to meet Adan in person and to trade bikes for a sunny lunch hour of riding pleasure. My impression pretty much mirrors his: the E1 acceleration in Sport is a bit anemic by comparison but still plenty to handle traffic situations when needed. I did find myself missing the more aggressive regen.

I would have been totally satisfied purchasing the E1 for cosmetic reasons: the black plastic vs. carbon fiber didn't bother me in the least. And since the shocks adjust from "harder than a rock" to "as hard as a chunk of wood", I'm not sure the full adjustability of the R version is a big draw for my not-on-track riding.

It was interesting to re-experience the stock seat. It was great to feel that I was sitting "down in" the bike again, but I wouldn't trade the connected feeling and lower COG for my comfort. Once I've gotten used to the 2" higher COG, my bike handles just fine for what I demand of it, which isn't much compared to the racers. And my knees like those 2".

Since I followed Adan on this ride, it was great to actually see my blinking LED auxiliary brake lights in action. They really do stand out and send the message I was hoping to send, having been rear-ended twice on motorcycles. 

Lastly, I'd like to report that standing around on Treasure Island with the SF skyline as a backdrop, Empulses shining in the foreground, feeling the warm fall noon sun, gentle bay breezes, and talking bikes is not at all a bad experience.

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
You're pretty tall, Bill.  6-2 or 6-3?  I can see why the extra seat height would be welcome. 

Oftentimes, bike ergonomics just take a little getting used to.  Change one little thing and it will feel very weird at first, but then later, totally natural.