Author Topic: MRA Windshield and Denali Lights  (Read 2549 times)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
MRA Windshield and Denali Lights
« on: November 09, 2013, 06:55:37 PM »
I pulled the trigger this week on a windshield and driving lights to make the bike a bit more comfortable during Chicago's winter.

Windshield is an MRA V-flow X-screen: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-v-flow-x-creen-sport-screen-style-vfxs-windshield-for-naked-sport-bikes-cruisers-enduro-and-dual-sport-motorcycles
Note that I got the extended mounting kit, and I'm glad I did. Fits perfectly.

Lights are Denali DM Micro: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-dm1-micro-single-intensity-led-lighting-kit-with-full-wiring-harness-and-m8-mount

Lights are wired into the headlight switch, and turn off when the high beam is turned on. I asked for them to be mounted low so they would not overpower the turn signals. That involved drilling holes into the fender. They are definitely brighter than the headlight, and do a great job of illuminating the road right in front of the bike.

The windshield is huge! I can ride with my visor open without any wind hitting my eyes. I do hear a bit of buffeting, but it is a big improvement and will make riding much more enjoyable for me. For the record, Brammo uses the MRA Racing Screen for their Empulse LE.

I also got Pilot Road 3s mounted (120/70 and 170/60), and expect my mileage to go up pretty significantly with the windshield and the smaller tires. Anecdotally, I got maybe 10% better range on the way home from the shop than I would have expected, although the wind was pushing. I'll be keeping an eye on that, although it is getting cold out, so range is decreasing every day anyway.

Here are the pics:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:15:13 PM by 00049 (AKA SopFu) »
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: MRA Windshield and Denali Lights
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
Lookin' good!

When you say you got the extended mounting kit, was it this one?

MRA.HK.L long for 22 or 25 mm handlebars

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 06:48:43 PM »
Lookin' good!

When you say you got the extended mounting kit, was it this one?

MRA.HK.L long for 22 or 25 mm handlebars

Yep, that's the one.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »
I
Lights are wired into the headlight switch, and turn off when the high beam is turned on. I asked for them to be mounted low so they would not overpower the turn signals. That involved drilling holes into the fender. They are definitely brighter than the headlight, and do a great job of illuminating the road right in front of the bike.

Looks good.  Who installed the lights?  I need something as its dark at 5:00 PM now.  I might do the inverse and have the lights come on with the brights and off with the low beam.

Thanks for posting!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »
Comfortable winter driving?? What's that? Of course Chicago is worse than Albuquerque...

But I will be cold and driving come February....and wishing I had a windshield likely.

I would ride the Enerita in the snow, but I probably won't the Empulse...If I slide and fall, well the Enertia is easy to pick up...the Empulse takes a bit more effort...and in the snow I'm not sure I would get the bike back upright...luckily we don't get a ton of snow...just a few inches here and there...

:)

Gavin

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:51:31 PM »
Skuzzle - I had Racer Cafe, a local shop, install everything: tires, windshield, and lights ran me $70 in labor. They are the local track-side Micheline supplier, and give killer deals to track day enthusiasts and have treated my ICE bikes well. They're not a dealer, but Brammo might be hearing from them. I told them to rip around on my bike while they had it and the owner said he went around the block a few times. I haven't checked the logs yet to see how much fun they had  ;D

Gavin - I don't plan on riding in snow, I have an AWD for that. But cold isn't going to scare me away.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »
I ordered a different model MRA windshield and it won't be in until mid-December (I ordered black, which they don't stock). I'm also going to add some LED light effects in the next few weeks. I think it will help with visibility at night. I'll update once I have everything installed.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »
The windshield is huge! I can ride with my visor open without any wind hitting my eyes. I do hear a bit of buffeting, but it is a big improvement and will make riding much more enjoyable for me. For the record, Brammo uses the MRA Racing Screen for their Empulse LE.

Well I mounted the same screen (only in smoke grey) today and didn't really find it huge. Kind of sporty-petite in width, moderate in height. I guess it's what you're used to. Also I'm 6'1" with a long torso, and am sitting a couple of inches higher on a Bill Mayer saddle, so the wind hit me right in the helmet, which I like. A level placed on the top edge of the shield hits me in the center of my sternum; placed on the top of the spoiler, it hits just below the top of my shoulder.

At first, there was a low to moderate amount of rapid buffeting. I had placed the spoiler support arms in their highest position, parallel to the windscreen, with about an inch of gap at the bottom between it and the windscreen.

Part way through my test ride, I stopped and adjusted it so that the support arms were pointed more forward (as in the OP's photo),  but tilted the spoiler back so that there was about a 2" gap at the bottom. This ended up working very well: Very smooth air up until about 70 mph, and then only very slight disturbance of the flow up until 85 mph, where I stopped accelerating. This worked better than any spoiler I've tried in the past (about 3, IIRC).

The screen appeared very solid at high speed even though there's no fasteners holding the bottom edge. I put some rubber from an old bicycle inner tube at a couple of points on the bottom to protect the CF headlight shell and to dampen any vibrations.

I feel this screen won't give me real protection in the rain as much as larger screens I've had in the past (Parabelleum Scout, e.g.), but I could tell that the ride on the freeway was much enhanced by having no wind pressure on my chest. I liked the looks of it and will post pics soon.

I'm eager to see if I can measure any improvement in range. I did my Standard Acceleration Test which is a WOT run up a steep hill about 0.3 miles in length to the crest. Prior to the screen I could get to about 70 mph and today I hit close to 80 mph, placing the Empulse above my 43 hp Yamaha 500 cc TMax scooter (75 mph) and below my 109 hp BMW R1200R (90 mph).

BTW, the written  instructions were cr*p, and I ended up relying on the pictures only. One of the written instructions made me laugh out loud:

"5) Position the windshield in the desired position and tighten the screws lightly on the clamps (which screws? Which clamps? This is unclear."

Obviously, the translator's notes got copied and pasted, unedited,  into the final text!

Bottom line: once I dialed in the spoiler, I like this screen: both its looks and performance. And for very hot days, loosening two bolts is all that's needed to slide out the support braces and lift the screen off the bike entirely.