Author Topic: more track time!  (Read 2347 times)

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
more track time!
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
This past weekend I got to spend both days up at the glorious Thunderhill, in a track excursion with a couple friends.  As I was unloading the Empulse from the truck, who rolls in but the full battle-dressed Brammo race team with a small flotilla of bikes!  They were doing some testing and happened to be there; I'm pretty sure at this point they're probably convinced that I am stalking them at trackdays.

Two days of throwing the Empulse and my housemate's Triumph around the track.  The brutal northern California winter was about 65 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.  Absolutely awesome.  I moved up to B group for this one, and while I was still hilariously ever so slow, I actually managed to pass a couple of people.  I am getting a lot more comfortable on the bike, and can reliably move my body around in the correct directions now going into corners.  Also, did not crash!  The bike did super well -- even though it definitely gets its doors blown off on the straights by the bigger bikes, I'm definitely not good enough yet to take advantage of all its speed and handling in corners.  It's a really good learning tool, as well.  Riding gas bikes as a comparison is just hilarious because you have all these ridiculous explosions and vibration getting in the way of surface feedback.  Although also fun, because explosions.

Also, watching mssrs. Bostrom and Turpin gracefully tear apart the field was very entertaining.  There were a bunch of other fast guys (AFM racers, etc) there, and it made for an excellent show.

I don't have any video as the Gopro seems to have given up the ghost (time for a new Hero3 on holiday sale I suppose!), but there was a track photographer there and there are a bunch of fun shots that you can get the gist of through the watermark:

http://gotbluemilk.com/web131123/BRAMMO/index.html
http://gotbluemilk.com/web131124/BRAMMO/index.html

Also haha a bunch of shots of Eric on a random Ninja, as he was also teaching a class that weekend.  I am of course in the ever-lovely combination of yellow helmet and salmon/black/sparkly sparkly silver leathers.

Seriously, you guys should sign up for Refuel next year.  It leads to all kinds of wonderfully terrible life decisions.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: more track time!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:52:55 PM »
Nice!  I saw a post by Shelina that hinted she had a test day coming up.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
Nice...jealous.

Is that a new, larger fairing on the TTX?

Gavin

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »
Jeff,

Nice job, out there this weekend!  You definitely deserve to be riding in the B group!  You were tearing it up out there! Thanks for representing for the Empulse customers.  It was awesome to ride a few laps with you at the end of the day as well.  I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to get on track with the Empulse...

We ended up with a ton of photos from the test... and look who's photos got thrown in...  :)

Lookin' good!  8)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:56:48 PM »
Shane Turpin even had some hot laps on one of the Empulse R engineering test bikes...

Good times...

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »
Hey Jeff - Shane is showing you how to grind down your shifter peg again!

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:25:57 AM »
HAHAHA yessssss!  Thanks Brian.  Turns out if you want to get track photography, just roll with the Brammo crew.  And yep, it was absolutely glorious; thanks for going out and showing me a few things!  We will have to do it again soon.

Also Shiny: Let me tell you, the Brammo pits were all aflutter with the fine machining and aesthetic of my shifter, which is still the gorgeous random bolt drilled through the end of the arm wrapped in neon orange duct tape.

PS have I mentioned perhaps my favorite part about my ludicrous suit is the 'AVAILABLE' patch that is still on the arm?

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
Oh the "Brammo Lifestyle". 

Just conveniently forget to tell us about EBoz's fully fairing-ed TTX?  Huh JEFF!?  Sleep with one eye open my friend.  One . . . eye . . . open. ;)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 08:43:25 PM »
Perhaps his silence was bought in exchange for early access to the super-sekrit Empulse aero fairing kit ; )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
Another photo rolled in from the test... check out my EBoz repli-racer helmet.  Good for at least 5mph on the straights.   8)  Where's Jeff's?  Good question...

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 05:15:21 PM »
Looks like Jeff is wearing the old yellow helmet you would wear in all the early Enertia photos.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki