Author Topic: Saturday Day Ride in not so sunny San Diego  (Read 2544 times)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday Day Ride in not so sunny San Diego
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 10:14:46 PM »
I think it's because your saddle bags balance it out well.

...patiently waiting... :P
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 03:23:59 AM »
I think it's because your saddle bags balance it out well.

...patiently waiting... :P

"Storage Capacity:    Optional Brammo hard saddle bags and top trunk."... still listed on the Empulse web page, although I hear there are no near term plans to do a top trunk.  While the web page is not accurate, the copyright at the bottom of the page is ahead of the curve: "Copyright (c) 2014 Brammo.com"

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 12:35:28 AM »
If Brammo wants to position the Empulse as a commuter bike then a top case is even preferred over side cases. It keeps the bike narrow to maintain proper lane splitting capabilities.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 03:28:56 AM »
If Brammo wants to position the Empulse as a commuter bike then a top case is even preferred over side cases. It keeps the bike narrow to maintain proper lane splitting capabilities.

I totally agree.  I used the top case on my Vstrom 650 all the time.  The side cases were only used for long trips.  The gas mileage always went down with the side cases sticking out.  The top case hides behind my back.

Also add good headlights, better seat, real world suspension, tires that work in the rain, functional rear fender, windscreen, 12V power outlets with documented capacities, windshield, ABS.  On the plus side is the standard charging port and battery heaters.

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »
I agree as well. I keep the top case on my F700gs and never take it off. I had side cases as well as a top case for my f650gs and used them when I rode to the Grand Canyon in '07 and then to Sturgis in '08. The only other times I used them was when I had to haul some extra junk home from work, and I could count that on one hand.

I also split lanes and the top case is great for that. I did hit one of the side cases on a car's tire once and a bumper of another car when I was riding and splitting lanes with the side cases. I never split lanes with the side cases on anymore. You can't see them and that just makes it dangerous to me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:33:20 PM by tkthompson »

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
I've been lane splitting for years, sometimes with a top case, sometimes with side cases.  With side cases, it's just a matter of calibrating your awareness of them.  You're giving up a little bit of maneuverability through traffic, but not much.  A top case is better for splitting, but becomes a disadvantage when you want to have fun on the twisties.  And to state the obvious, a top case won't hold as much as two side cases.  Hopefully Brammo will make both options available. 

I'm using soft saddle bags, which don't create any kind of issue for splitting.  My 20 mile commute home at evening rush hour can sometimes be 80% lane splitting.  The Empulse is the best lane splitting bike I've ever ridden.

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2013, 04:29:53 PM »
The Empulse is the best lane splitting bike I've ever ridden.

I agree. The bike is just so narrow that having to stop while lane splitting is a rare event.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 01:47:20 AM »
Agree on the Empulse's splitting ability, and I'm doing it with the Brammo hard side cases. I have bar-end mirrors and I figure if they clear the car mirrors on both sides, the cases will easily fit under them. So far, they always have, even when I rarely tap one of the mirrors, causing it to fold inward.

Actually the only time I got into trouble with side cases was on my BMW R1200R when I wanted to change lanes with traffic stopped and caught the rear bumper of a car that I was maneuvering around and had cut the curve just a little too close. No harm done, just a soft bump. I didn't leave any mark on the car and it didn't on my bag. But wait, oh yeah, my ego was bruised!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:26:37 AM by Shinysideup »

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 02:45:42 AM »
Here's what can happen if you don't pay attention to the width of your saddle bags...

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 12:43:28 PM »
Yep, those were my same bags!

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
Well I guess I lied! It is going to be in the eighties this week, so more riding weather! I thought my last ride was back in the beginning of December, but the santa ana is back and the weather is warm. I got to try out my new windshiled today. So far it seems perfect for my needs.