Author Topic: First time stranded, B55  (Read 2486 times)

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: First time stranded, B55
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 03:35:10 AM »
I am using the log reader that someone on the forum posted. While it's way better than reading the logs in a text reader, and I am very appreciative that he shared it with us, I'm sure it's not displaying all the info that is being stored.

Speaking of which...  I mentioned on my conference call with Brammo that I would love to see a spec on the contents of the log files so that I could improve the log Enspector, but never heard anything back.  Hint, hint, nudge, nudge to Brian - would it be possible to learn more about the data in the log file or is that considered proprietary information?
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 09:55:58 AM »
13 degrees.

Looks at bike.

Looks at pickup.

Looks at bike again.

I leave in 10 minutes and I still haven't decided...but a betting man would say, Empulse.

Gavin

Yesterday, after bike sat at work garage in 20 degree temps for 10 hours, I had a warning when I turned the key, but it went away when I powered up and I had no problems. The strange thing is the warning said B9, and there is no B9 warning in the PDF...

Truthfully it probably should give the warning of "B Stupid" ...as in, "dude you B Stupid for riding all winter long...buy a car or move to Hawaii..."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:57:36 AM by Gavin »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »
So, sadly, truck won out...wife reminded me I said I would pick up some firewood on the way home...

Last time I did that on the Empulse I could only carry one bundle...and I didn't have a bungee cord with me...so I rode home at 40 mph while balancing a bundle of wood on the tank...riding one hand on the throttle, one hand on the bundle...I should have been thinking, "don't fall, don't wreck, don't fall"...instead I was thinking, "don't scratch the tank, don't scratch the tank..."

I do a lot of stupid things on my bike...it is just habit...i went 6 years without a car so I always treated my ride (a scooter back then) as a car...heck, I brought a 7 foot tall Christmas tree home on the back of my vespa scooter...in a snow storm...i think i almost caused a few accidents from the cars rubber-necking at me as I went by...

G

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 11:34:06 AM »
My question: at what temp should I skip riding in and take the truck? You know me, I'll ride at negative 5 fahrenheit, but that---thankfully--is dang rare here. Still, we do get a few single digit mornings every winter. does Brammo want testing data, or would they prefer I pretend to be sane and take a heated, enclosed vehicle instead?
Gavin

If it were me, I would make the decision to ride IF:

1. I knew I could keep the SOC above 30% over the full day of riding.
2. I knew I had options to charge when the bike is sitting and not being ridden, which keeps the heaters active AND benefits #1.
3. I knew I had alternative routes to riding on a busy freeway I could take if the SOC does get low or one of my charging options does not work. 
4. I was crazy enough to ride in below freezing temperatures! ;)

If it was not possible to charge, I would leave the bike on in Park mode as 00049 does for 30 mins - 1 hour prior to riding.  The heaters consume 300 W, so over an hour, that's 300 Watt-hours, which is roughly 3% of the pack's total capacity.  If they reach the target temperature, they'll also shut off and stop drawing current. A small price to pay for warm batts. 

Last piece of advice... Make sure you've got the right gear for the ride.  A cold rider often makes mistakes. Also consider some all-weather tires if you're going to be riding in cold or wet weather a lot. IMO - The factory-fitted Avons are great when it's warm and conditions are optimal, but very dicey when things get cold and wet... 

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:58:58 AM by BrammoBrian »

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 11:40:03 AM »
LOL at Gavin.

I remember walking out to my 1098 with a gallon of milk and eggs and getting the funniest looks from the second wives walking out to their SUVs. I had a Ventura rack, and still only took the cage if absolutely necessary when it was nice out (Duc's don't work at all below 50F - the Brammo is way more predictable!). My coworkers are telling me to put the bike away so I'll enjoy it more in spring. I may be crazy, but I'm enjoying the condition!

I took a nice spill this weekend on my pedal bike at the local Cyclocross championships (speaking of - EBOZ is quite competitive in the sport...), so I probably won't be riding the Empulse to work again until January while I heal. They're saying December will be a record cold month up here, so maybe the two-wheeled gods are telling me something.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
If it was not possible to charge, I would leave the bike on in Park mode as 00049 does for 30 mins - 1 hour prior to riding.  The heaters consume 300 W, so over an hour, that's 300 Watt-hours, which is roughly 3% of the pack's total capacity.  If they reach the target temperature, they'll also shut off and stop drawing current. A small price to pay for warm batts.

Interesting .. very useful to know. So the heaters "unlock" more energy than they consume, if used just prior to departure? That's a very "cool" feature.. even better to be able to remotely turn them on or turn them on per a schedule : )

I got on the Zero this morning @ low 20s. We had snow overnight, so the roads were pretty much slush and ice. Took the first corner in a wobbling slide, turned right back around and swapped the bike for the car.

Adventure is fun, but there's some overlap between adventurous and stupid.

Sorry to hear about your spill, 00049. Heal well.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »
My spidey sense tells me I was just called Stupid :)

My wife tells me every day, so I am use to it.

Sadly there are no outlets in my parking garage...how is that even possible in this day and age? NONE!

The garage I use to park in had about about 7 regular 110 outlets spread out over the 5 floors of the structure...not many, but at least some. The downside was I would have to take a car parking space to use them. There were none in the motorcycle parking area. One day I came out and somebody had lifted the Enertia and moved it out of the parking spot and parked their car there...I was still plugged in, so I guess it wasn't so bad...still...moving somebody's bike??

I'm not sure I would plug in at work with the Empulse anyways...I don't like having my Clipper Creek charger out to be stolen. It would be nice to have a 110 plug just for these situations...

Gavin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:07:24 PM by Gavin »

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
Nope, calling myself stupid. I won't speak to your conditions, Gavin ; )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »

Interesting .. very useful to know. So the heaters "unlock" more energy than they consume, if used just prior to departure? That's a very "cool" feature.. even better to be able to remotely turn them on or turn them on per a schedule : )

Sorry to hear about your spill, 00049. Heal well.

I don't know if I would say energy is "unlocked," although if conditions are perfect the bike may have more SOC showing after preheating than it would from a cold start. Most of the time my SOC had dropped 3 to 6% after I had been pre-heating. I wonder how burning energy from the battery with the rest of the bike off impacts the SOC algorithm? The only reason I preheat is so I can get full power right from lifting up the sidestand. I would love being able to have the heaters turn on at a pre-set time so I wouldn't have to walk out to the parking lot.

Thanks for the encouragement on healing. Doc just called back and said the kneecap was slightly out of place and I should immobilize ASAP until they can verify nothing is torn. Looks like I'm getting a forced break from riding!
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 09:16:21 AM »
Reminds me of a feature the old Vectrix had.
You could set a pre-charge cooling period aka delayed charging by programming a fixed delay.
Then if you would switch of the bike while holding down the brake handle it would set the pre-charge delay.
So if I would plug in the bike would not charge until after the set time expired and it would also switch the fans on if the battery temperature was above 27 celcius.

Vectrix had a lot of overheating batteries...

But Brammo could easily do this in a software update too I guess? Programmable by the user: a fixed pre-ride delay of x hours and pre-heat time of y minutes and activate it by switching off the bike while holding down the brake handle. Then the bike would know when to start heating.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 09:32:19 AM »
I've always thought a delayed charging option would be a good idea. Some electric companies offer discounts for power during off-peak (overnight) hours. I wish they could implement this on the bikes.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 12:08:22 PM »
I've always thought a delayed charging option would be a good idea. Some electric companies offer discounts for power during off-peak (overnight) hours. I wish they could implement this on the bikes.

In my home garage, my Clipper Creek is plugged into a mechanical timer so I charge during my Time of Use plan which goes cheap after midnight. In the summer, the timer turns the charger off at 6 a.m. and in the winter, I leave it on until 11 a.m. so I'm assured of warm batteries.

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 02:42:57 AM »
Does no one remember Freepz's horse blankets?  ???

http://freepz.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/horse-blanket/