Author Topic: Battery Clamp Color  (Read 2825 times)

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Clamp Color
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 09:34:14 AM »
Update!
I decided to have the brackets powder coated and try to match the tank color. I found a color extremely close to the Eclipse Black called Cosmic Black. It's so close that it would be hard to really notice any difference...
One problem I'm now having is the hardware. I would hate to go through all this trouble and put the tarnished hardware back on there but the size of the main bolt for the bracket that attaches to the frame is M8x1.25x16. Proboltt-USA.com only has M8x1.25x20. It's only a difference of 4mm in length but it's not the same (Captain Obvious). Also it's a hell of a lot cheaper for aluminum then titanium (again Captain Obvious) but would the aluminum bolts work just as well? One reason I ask is because I can get the aluminum bolts in anodized black which I like but don't want to compromise the integrity (safety) of the bike.
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 12:56:09 AM »
I would hate to go through all this trouble and put the tarnished hardware back on there but the size of the main bolt for the bracket that attaches to the frame is M8x1.25x16. Proboltt-USA.com only has M8x1.25x20. It's only a difference of 4mm in length but it's not the same (Captain Obvious). Also it's a hell of a lot cheaper for aluminum then titanium (again Captain Obvious) but would the aluminum bolts work just as well? One reason I ask is because I can get the aluminum bolts in anodized black which I like but don't want to compromise the integrity (safety) of the bike.

Disclaimer: Enertia+ rider, not Empulse, so I don't know *exactly* the lay of the land you've got before you.  I will caution against mixing metal types in some applications, as it can easily lead to seizing.  You can coat some bolts with grease or more appropriately anti-seize, depending on what they're made of, what they're going in to, and how much load bearing they carry and the torque that load would require.

Trying to be useful now :) you're dealing with cap head screws (aka "allen bolts") from the looks of the pix below.  Here's a set, not cheap ($12 for 10) but not Ti-priced, either, and I even selected them in stainless, so if you wanted to polish the heads and make them all shiny they'd be good candidates:
http://www.grainger.com/product/Skt-Cap-Screw-6EA24?s_pp=false
Roughly half the price for a 25 pack in black:
http://www.grainger.com/product/Skt-Cap-Screw-6EA76?s_pp=false
in both cases I selected to "low" head, which just doesn't stand as tall.

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 06:48:46 AM »
Well I got it done! What a chore. The powder coat color didn't come out exactly like the sample but it came out pretty good and I'm satisfied. It seems they were a little heavy handed on the metallic coating but they look good... I got the brackets back in just two days so I didn't have time to shop/order new hardware. So I just took a fine wire wheel and cleaned up the factory hardware.  It came out really nice... With the brackets blacked out, to me it kind of looks like a stealth fighter. I had a small scratch on the bars by the seat so I had them done as well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:59:37 AM by Virtually Yours »
Actually Mine,
Empluse R

Virtually Yours

• Brammoholic
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 08:03:16 AM »
With the brackets blacked out, to me it kind of looks like a stealth fighter.
Hmmm...
Actually Mine,
Empluse R