Author Topic: First mention of a new product launch  (Read 1244 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
First mention of a new product launch
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:56 AM »
I just saw this article and here is the relevant mention:
$25,000 to support a new product launch by electric-motorcycle maker Brammo Inc.

Anyone else hear anything? My sources have been quiet on this, so far.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: First mention of a new product launch
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
It seems to me that $25K won't go very far when designing and developing any new EV.    ???

But I guess it is the thought that counts.   ;)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:42:08 AM »
$25k might pay for a chunk of Brammo's launch parties. : )

There have been hints about productizing the Empulse RR. The high-end bike market (let's call it $25k+) seems to be rather crowded in the future.

In descending order of likelihood to reach market in a meaningful way:
- eCRP Energica (super sportbike)
- Mission R (super sportbike)
- Brutus V9, V2 (cruiser, sportbike)
- Lightning (super sportbike)
- Lito Sora (cruiser)

I'd love to see a Brammo take on two things, even if only as a design exercise:
- inexpensive entry-level motorcycle. what can be done for (say) $6k?
- touring bike (maybe with an Empulse RR powertrain)
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »
It seems to me that $25K won't go very far when designing and developing any new EV.    ???

But I guess it is the thought that counts.   ;)

There may be more here than meets the eye. In the article, there is this quote, which seems to indicate that funds awarded are somehow leveraged:

"The latest round brings the three-year-old association's award total up to $400,000, a figure that it claims has been met by more than $4 million in additional funding."

So maybe the launch party will be REALLY big! ;)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »

There may be more here than meets the eye. In the article, there is this quote, which seems to indicate that funds awarded are somehow leveraged:

"The latest round brings the three-year-old association's award total up to $400,000, a figure that it claims has been met by more than $4 million in additional funding."

So maybe the launch party will be REALLY big! ;)

That is marketing speak for Oregon's Government, and I wouldn't read into it too much for additional funds to Brammo. Often investors use Government source selection decisions to guide their investment decisions; and once a company gets Government funding, it's also much easier for the company to approach investors. The thought is "if the Government did their due diligence reviewing the company and determined that it was safe to grant them funds, then the company is more likely to be a good investment than the other schmuck I've never heard of." That thought works great for fresh start ups who receive a couple thousand dollars, but I don't know if I would classify Brammo as a fresh start up. Now, if Oregon decided to loan them $100M, then some more investors might come out of the woodwork to jump on that train. Come on Oregon, we know you want to  ;D
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL