Author Topic: Want to get more mileage on a charge?  (Read 2282 times)

tkthompson

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Want to get more mileage on a charge?
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:27 PM »
Get a windshield! I just installed mine last week and I have consistently come home from my commute with 10% more charge left. Not only does it look good, it's functional and now I also have this nice added benefit....SWEET!

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Want to get more mileage on a charge?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »
+1

I can almost feel the bike cutting through the air at high speed with more ease than having the air slam against my body in just the wrong aerodynamic curve.

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:23 PM »
I think I'm seeing about a 10% increase with the screen.  Hard to tell because traffic is so variable on my commute.  Commute is about 60% freeway, so I'd guess the mileage increase is better than 10% at freeway speeds, less on the streets, averaging out to 10% for the whole trip.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
This is consistent with my experience, though I haven't gathered metrics.
The faster I go, the more effective the shield works.
(And THAT'S why I was speeding, officer!)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:30:39 PM »
Well... in the "better late than never" category... we are now awaiting our production samples of the Brammo designed windscreen, which I'm excited about.  I'll try to break the photos here, although most of you won't care since you've had to buy an aftermarket screen...

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:43:50 PM »
hey, always better late than never...and I've been waiting as I have a love/hate relationship with windshields...love them in the winter...hate the way they look...at least on a naked bike.

I will probably break down and grab the brammo windshield when it makes it to market...extra range at speed is nice...and getting the winter wind off my chest would be nice too.

5500 miles without one so far....so it's not a huge rush...

G

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:04:18 AM »
I'll try to break the photos here, although most of you won't care since you've had to buy an aftermarket screen...

It will be great to break the photos here...A) many of us early adopters still haven't "updated" to a windshield...and more importantly B) There will be tons of new Brammo riders added to the community as more and more bikes are sold. Many of them will want to see potential mods and will be visiting the mods forum...and will know that Brammo is listening and working on additions...even if it takes a while :)

I'm looking at you saddle bags....

G

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:10:36 AM »
Another "interested, but hasn't gone aftermarket yet" rider here...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
When it comes to windshields, a good choice is the Slip Streamer Spitfire windshield.  It just blocks the wind from your chest, is cheap, fits just about any motorcycle with round handlebars and can be removed in seconds as it is attached with small T-thumb screws to the bar mounts.  I used one on my Zero and it seemed to cut power consumption by about 10% at speed, as well as blocking the wind from hitting my chest, while keeping my helmet in clear un-turbulent air, which I liked.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
An even better small windshield option, at a higher price, is the National Cycle Deflector Screen DX.  This windshield is about the same size as the Slipstreamer, but is very easy to remove and reinstall.  It fastens by clamping to your round handlebars and then the windshield can be removed or reinstalled in seconds using large plastic hand knobs that screw into the bar clamps.  This makes it very easy to remove the windshield for warm weather riding or to install it for cooler or faster rides.  A very neat design.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »
FWIW... National Cycle is the supplier for the Brammo designed windscreen option, as they were for the Enertia Plus windscreen.  They make good stuff!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
Photos or this thread is useless :)

G

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Want to get more mileage on a charge?
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 02:40:56 PM »

G

Lol

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »

G

Here is a photo of the National Cycle Deflector Screen DX windshield mounted on my BMW.  Note the knobs that are used to remove and install the windshield.

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »
Alright Richard, you can't post a pic with a farkle in it and not get quizzed: where did you get that little compass mounted in the middle of your bars? It's too cute for me not to want one!