Author Topic: Shift Pedal Being So Hard  (Read 943 times)

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
Shift Pedal Being So Hard
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
I just got my empulse r 2 days ago and 300 miles after my shifter is still very hard going through any gear and when I'm in gear with the clutch lever pulled and twist the throttle the bike would move because the clutch is still grabbing.

Has anyone encountered this? Will the clutch break in and work normally like other standard bikes? Do you think that has something to do with my shifter being so hard to move along gears?

I'm thinking of bleeding the clutch but I feel like its too soon and that I shouldn't be needing to do that with a brand new bike  :-[

Jeff

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Shift Pedal Being So Hard
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »
I just got my empulse r 2 days ago and 300 miles after my shifter is still very hard going through any gear and when I'm in gear with the clutch lever pulled and twist the throttle the bike would move because the clutch is still grabbing.

It definitely took like 500-1000 miles for the transmission to really break in.  After the 600-mile official break-in period and first oil change, at the very least.

The bike has always pulled slightly for me as well with the clutch all the way pulled in.  Not sure what this means; I've figured it was just an idiosyncrasy of the drivetrain or something.  You shouldn't really ever have a reason to do this, though.  Haha whenever I need to menacingly blip the food processor throttle at somebody or something I just put my foot on the rear brake.

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:02:53 AM »
agree with Jeff,

it seems to break in over time where the shifting is a bit easier as time goes on.  I am still very low on miles but also notice a slight difference when the oil is cold versus when I have ridden for a couple mins.

And yes, with the clutch in mine pulls a bit too.  I think someone mentioned before that is normal for this bike

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »
+2 on above.

Plus you may  benefit by reading the threads on here about not using the clutch for upshifts. We've found that "power shifting" without the clutch works very smoothly. For me, it took a little time to get used to the finesse needed on the throttle to make it work easily,  but not it's second nature.

It seems to me the issue of the clutch "dragging" may have something to do with sensors in the IET electronic transmission interface. Again, it's pretty much a non-issue in everyday driving.

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:22:42 PM »
If I recall correctly, the grippy clutch is because it's a wet clutch along with high torque clutch plates because it's going to an electric motor. The oil is cold and does not warm as fast as in an ice machine. It goes away after it warms up.

plukcc

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 10:05:17 AM »
i got the same issue, but getting smoother when i reach 1000+klm