Author Topic: LED handle bar lights  (Read 1215 times)

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
LED handle bar lights
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:47:14 AM »
I finally managed to finish my Empulse lighting project.  I've been collecting parts for a couple of months now.  The lights are mounted in the old mirror mount points.  I had to buy mirror adapters to get useable bolts.  (Note that the right mount is reverse threaded)  I had to drill the light mount hole a bit larger.  This setup probably will not work with a wind screen.

I bought the lights with brackets on Ebay for $52 a pair with shipping.  I'm guessing that they put out at least 700 lumens each, using 10 watts each.  I found a handle mount switch for the lights, although it has the marking of a kill switch.  I used the purple Molex (.062 series) for power.  Fry's has the plugs and crip connectors.  I had to order a crimper online.  I found a couple of good youtube videos about how to make Molex connectors/crimps that were very useful. 

The finish product is a big big improvement.  I can't see the stock light at all when the LED's are on.  They are a bit too bright for use with on-coming traffic.  They are supposed to be narrow beams, but I they seem to cover two road lanes at 100-200 feet.  I need some time to adjust them. 

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: LED handle bar lights
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »
Nice job. I've been mulling around the idea of finding some sort of LED light for which I can fashion a bezel and mount in the main headlight shell in lieu of the stock reflector and bulb. I've already replaced the stock halogen bulb with a HID one, but, as has been pointed out elsewhere, it's not a good match with the reflector and the light is not beamed accurately. I don't get flashed by oncoming cars, but I can see the overhead freeway signs light up like daytime!  I still like it well enough, when augmented with my 2 auxiliary LED's, but a well-focused powerful LED in the center position would be very sweet.

These guys offer some nice-looking lamps, one of which might fit the shell with some finagling for mounting it securely:

http://clearwaterlights.com/

barboo

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: LED handle bar lights
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:27:14 PM »
Nice work!
1973 Honda CL350 (For Fun)
1999 BMW K1200RS (Daily ride)
2007 Aprilia Tuono R (Street)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Wife's Track)
2012 BMW S1000RR (Race / Track)
2013 Brammo Empulse R (Race / Track / Street)

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Dashboard wish list
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:15:49 PM »
Nice!

How many amps into those lights? Did you find out the amps available on that connector?

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Dashboard wish list
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 02:29:11 PM »
Thanks Shinysideup & barboo.  The prices seem to be dropping for LED's.  There doesn't seem
to be a lot of options for bar mounted switches though unless you buy complete systems.

How many amps into those lights? Did you find out the amps available on that connector?

No I didn't.  The lights should be taking 1.6 amps, although I didn't verify that.  I put a 3 amp in-line
fuse before the switch.

Could someone at Brammo provide some information on the purple Molex connector?

One other thing... The Molex connector power is switched, but it is on when the bike is charging.