Author Topic: Added a Xenon/HID to replace stock H4 bulb  (Read 3815 times)

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Added a Xenon/HID to replace stock H4 bulb
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 02:58:11 AM »
This one is similar to the one I got from the same company, 3000 lumens, but $130 for two. ($75 vs $15)
http://www.vleds.com/headlights/h4-vx3.html

This looks like the same setup for $30 plus shipping.  Probably comes from the same factory.
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Xenon-White-Motorcycle-Headlight/dp/B00PQDUOSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417765906&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+LED+H4

One thing I don't like about a lot of the LEDs H4's is that they just change brightness between high/low, not aim.  The one I linked above has two LEDs, but they seem to both be on in both modes.

I bought a pair to auxiliary LED's for $50 a pair on ebay.  They are wonderful.  My only complaint is that they are too bright to oncoming traffic.  Someday I'll replace them with some sort of LED projector light.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:09:03 AM by skuzzle »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 03:24:45 AM »
Mine has two LED's but when the second on comes on in high beam, it's aimed much further down the road.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »
I like that from amazon...it does look identical to the VLEDS...

where did you attach the control box? seems there is little room for it...

G

This one is similar to the one I got from the same company, 3000 lumens, but $130 for two. ($75 vs $15)
http://www.vleds.com/headlights/h4-vx3.html

This looks like the same setup for $30 plus shipping.  Probably comes from the same factory.
http://www.amazon.com/Power-Xenon-White-Motorcycle-Headlight/dp/B00PQDUOSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417765906&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+LED+H4

One thing I don't like about a lot of the LEDs H4's is that they just change brightness between high/low, not aim.  The one I linked above has two LEDs, but they seem to both be on in both modes.

I bought a pair to auxiliary LED's for $50 a pair on ebay.  They are wonderful.  My only complaint is that they are too bright to oncoming traffic.  Someday I'll replace them with some sort of LED projector light.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 04:48:25 PM »
If you're asking me, i haven't replaced my headlight bulb yet.  I'm waiting to see what everyone else does first  :D.  I added bar end mirrors then added LED lights to the old mirror mounts.  It works great.  The aim of the lights is adjusted just like the old mirrors were.  It can even be done while driving.  Unfortunately I don't think the lights will work if I ever get a windshield.

I think the brightness of the headlight is a secondary issue.  I think the beam pattern (or lack of) is the main issue.

I like that from amazon...it does look identical to the VLEDS...

G

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 01:58:21 AM »
G
I put the box near the top center of the space behind the whole headlight shell, once removed. I held it place with a wire wrap on either side, fastened to the metal dash support frame above it, so it sort of hangs. I also tie wrapped the other rat's next of wiring in two bunches, to the left and right and above where the LED cooling fan would go.

Viola:

VLED Controller

katacrak

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »
3 years ago I bought this kit to another bike that ultimately do not install, is a bi-xenon HID kit, and I need help. where the round terminal is connected to the Empulse?

Any recommendation for our Empulse how to install this kit?

url=http://postimage.org/][/url]
subir fotos online

sube

subir imagenes

subir gif

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
LED replace stock H4 bulb
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
This weekend, I replaced my stock H4 bulb with an SpeedMetal LED I purchased from my local Cycle Gear. I chose them as the lamp had decent reviews and Cycle Gear has a good return policy in case it does not work out. http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-Conversion-Kit

Installation was pretty strait forward but not quite plug and play.  The metal ring is on a color that slides over the the front of the lamp to allow you to install the parts that normally slide over the back which can't because of the heat sink.  It does have the flat edge on one part which I have read several lamps did not.  The only thing that did not fit was where the plastic for the screws holding the metal ring prevents the locking collar from seating.  I trimmed these with a hack saw as that was what was handy, but a Dremel would have been a bit easier.  After that, things fit fine.  I did not find a good place to mount the module so I used a couple of zip ties to attach it to the existing wire bundles.

The beam is not as focused as the original lamp, but is significantly brighter.  I don't get as distinct line between light and dark which is helpful when adjusting the height on the garage door, it fades out a bit more gradually.  The light is pretty well contained when on dim.  On bright, everything, including the upper portion of my garage door, gets lit up.  It is nice and even with no discernible hot spots, but a lot of the light is needlessly going up when on bright.

I briefly road tested it, but did not get out into a dark area so the exact beam was hard to distinguish from the street lamps.  Assuming no rain on Wednesday, my ride takes me to a much better area for testing.  I didn't mind the stock lamp on bright, but dim was just horrible.  The light is much whiter from the LED and dim seems at least as good, but more road testing is needed.