Author Topic: Cop pulled up to me at the light yesterday...  (Read 2483 times)

ppc750

• View Profile
Cop pulled up to me at the light yesterday...
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »
And told me that I was going too slow. I was doing 40 in a 50 zone and apparently that's too slow even though there was no other cars, and it was a 3 lane local road.

That's the end of my fuel efficiency with the Brammo I think. I have to go 50 mph for my commute now. Oh well...

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cop pulled up to me at the light yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »
Seriously?  I thought that the only road with a posted minimum (of 40mph) was the interstate highway. 

Do you go 40 to save juice (so you don't run out) or to be "fuel efficient"?  I started out as Mr. Efficient... now, as long as I know I can make it home, I wrap that throttle up, baby. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Seriously?  I thought that the only road with a posted minimum (of 40mph) was the interstate highway. 

Do you go 40 to save juice (so you don't run out) or to be "fuel efficient"?  I started out as Mr. Efficient... now, as long as I know I can make it home, I wrap that throttle up, baby. 

I do it to be more "fuel efficient", and lights are timed for 40~ ish anyway, I don't actually get anywhere faster by going 50 unfortunately. But now I have to it seems!

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:47:07 AM »
Well, you don't "have to" unless you feel you're being unsafe.  If 40mph is the minimum on a highway with a posted speed of 65mph, then surely 40 mph is fine as a minimum on a city street with a 50 mph limit.  I understand it if you don't want to confront, but I'd want to know what law he thinks you're breaking.  Might just be motorcycle prejudice.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 11:57:33 AM »
I would have thought that 40 would be safer as long as other cars were not around.

Have you tried an alternate route to work? I used mapquest to come up with different routes based on how I want to get to work that day. One day it is the shortest route, another day it is the one with the most twists and turns.

I started out as Mr. Efficient... now, as long as I know I can make it home, I wrap that throttle up, baby.  

I do the same. I  started with backroads (30 -35 mph) to maximize my efficiency. I now often use a divided highway where the posted speed limit is 45, but the average commuter goes 50-55. I average about 50 mph with plenty of charge left based on my short commute.

Right now, I like going 50 better than 40.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »
California VC 22400:

Minimum Speed Law

22400.  (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle, except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established.

Subdivision (b) of this section shall apply only to vehicles subject to registration.

From a yahoo answers post by a CHP guy:
Generally speaking, if a minimum speed limit is not posted, most officers will start looking closely at you when you are 10 MPH below lowest posted speed limit. An example of this would be a freeway where the speed limit for cars is 65 MPH and the speed limit to trucks is 55 MPH. When someone is doing 45 MPH in this situation and impeding traffic they might get stopped.

Are you impeding traffic?  Is there a lane where people can drive faster than you without crossing into oncoming traffic?  If so, then you're not impeding... in my humble opinion.

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:44:40 PM »
I would have thought that 40 would be safer as long as other cars were not around.
Have you tried an alternate route to work? I used mapquest to come up with different routes based on how I want to get to work that day. One day it is the shortest route, another day it is the one with the most twists and turns.
Unfortunately the city I work in has only high speed local roads, all the roads are 50-55 mph speed limit posted.

California VC 22400:
Are you impeding traffic?  Is there a lane where people can drive faster than you without crossing into oncoming traffic?  If so, then you're not impeding... in my humble opinion.
There are three lanes on that local road (6 total if you count the other direction), and it is never full enough where nobody can pass me. If impeding traffic means people have to pass me legally on the road, then I impede traffic a lot I guess if I go 40 in a 50 zone. I get passed a lot while going 40 in that 50 zone.

The cop happened to be behind me tailgating me while I was going 40 in a 50 and then letting off the throttle because I saw the red light ahead.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:39:39 PM »
Sounds like a cop that maybe had too much time on his hands that day. Or, he had been hassled by a superior for not having enough "contacts" on his activity sheet. I once over heard a CHP officer tell another officer that he got called into the supervisor's office for that one.

Did he run a warrant check on you? A close relative is a Deputy Sheriff and he says that their main job is finding people with outstanding warrants and the main way of finding them is to do traffic stops of everybody that fits within a general profile.

Driving a Volvo station wagon that is in good condition and waxed and polished and not weaving or doing anything obvious will never get stopped. Driving a beat-up car that is dirty and a few other little things that most don't think of, like being really thin (meth users are usually thin), having messed up, dirty appearing hair (I guess druggies tend not to take care of themselves), and you are a likely candidate for a traffic stop just to check for warrants or drugs. And they can come up with anything they want as "probable cause" if they really feel that you are somebody that might have a warrant or drugs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of police or their tactics, since I have a lot of them in the family and even more as friends.

But, sometimes cops are stopping drivers for a completely different reason than they say. I'm not suggesting that you fit any of the above, since it is probably hard to make any judgement about a person on a motorcycle that is wearing a helmet but maybe he needed some activity to right down on his sheet or he just wanted to talk to you to keep awake or maybe he just wanted to see your COOL BIKE!

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »
Did he run a warrant check on you? A close relative is a Deputy Sheriff and he says that their main job is finding people with outstanding warrants and the main way of finding them is to do traffic stops of everybody that fits within a general profile.

Oh nope, he just tailed me for a good minute or so and then pulled up along side me at the stop light and then told me to speed up while next to me. I have no plates yet on my brammo because there have been a couple of mistakes in filling out the registration application on Best Buy's part unfortunately...

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »
Had I read your posting correctly would have seen that you said he just pulled up along side of you, not a full traffic stop, my mistake. I still think he was bored.

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 11:57:13 PM »
Had I read your posting correctly would have seen that you said he just pulled up along side of you, not a full traffic stop, my mistake. I still think he was bored.

Yeah I think so... this city has nearly no crime (Irvine, CA)

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Travel America
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 12:46:40 AM »
I havent even tried to be "efficient"! I can only get 25-30 miles on a charge because I cant get enough of the quick starts... makes the heart race!
I was in Redmond, Oregon this last weekend and rode with a group of friends back to the hotel we were staying at.  They had all seen that the speedo goes to 70 but, we were riding 80 on the open highway, according to them. It got a little squirrely in the evening wind and I had to lean a bit but, it ran out great! Also, we went the wrong way and had to make a u-turn which went much better on my bike than it did on the big BMWs and Harleys. I think they were all surprised that Dorothy did so well.... doubters!!