Author Topic: HOW TO: Launch the Empulse off the line with max acceleration!  (Read 4349 times)

Ain

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Since this technique (first mentioned by Shinysideup for smooth starts) got a little overshadowed in the transmission technical debate...

1) From a stop with the Empulse in 1st gear

2) Roll the bike back 1 foot

3) Pin the throttle!!!

This will result in a super smooth launch off the line with no clunk, thump, etc.  Just the blast of acceleration!

By rolling the bike back a bit, you will have taken up the slight transmission lash/slack, and you're set.  It's so fast and smooth, you'll grin at every stop light.
2013 Empulse R  (Delivered 12/7/12)
2009 BMW K1300S
2002 MV Agusta F4 Senna

frodus

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: HOW TO: Launch the Empulse off the line with max acceleration!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:34:04 AM »
I take the slack out by easing throttle until the bike starts to pull. Its easy and always gets the slack out. I fly at stoplights. Either way works.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:02:02 AM »
And as has been mentioned before, it's not even a foot that you need to roll the bike back: just a few inches. Throttle works too, but that's too much precision work for me! :-[

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 02:56:48 AM »
I've been wondering, what about holding the rear brake down and applying a little throttle to take up the slack?

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:45:52 AM »
I use a couple of inches of rollback in most cases, but if I'm not sure what is behind me then I also use the throttle.  Usually I'm waiting for a light so there is no hurry and it's not hard to slightly tweak the throttle until you feel the pull.  But the rollback is fairly well programmed into my stoplight routine - it happens immediately at the point of arrested forward motion.

If I am not stopping, say stop and go traffic or I successfully used regen to slow to a crawl before I reached the stop line and the light turned green, then I also have been developing a slight "slack adjustment" feel in my right wrist that is getting pretty good at "tweak, click; crank, whoosh" (TCCW)...
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:49:01 AM »
The brake is a crutch, "use the force Luke" and sense when the transmission is returning to 0 slack.  In the long run it will be a far more beneficial skill for a lot of reasons (as in it will start to translate into rolling transitions as well).

(waves hand, These aren't the techniques you're looking for...)
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Ain

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »
And as has been mentioned before, it's not even a foot that you need to roll the bike back: just a few inches. Throttle works too, but that's too much precision work for me! :-[

I figured I'd post the "easy" way, but I've also noticed you can feel when the motor starts to move a bit on the rollback too.  But I'm with you, the throttle works, but the "roll" is 100%.   ;D

Doing the slight roll back after coming to a stop has become second nature to me now since launching the bike off the line is a seriously fun addiction!
2013 Empulse R  (Delivered 12/7/12)
2009 BMW K1300S
2002 MV Agusta F4 Senna

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
Anyone notice Shelina's "roll-back" into her grid position at the start of the 250SB race?  It definitely works!  :)

We did have to tape a "DON'T REV!" sign on the dash though to keep her from spinning the motor up for the start.  She said it was really hard not to do when you hear all the gas bikes around you doing it... Now that she's seen the benefit, I don't think we'll need the sign in the future! 

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »
The "roll back" is to reduce/eliminate the chain lash, correct?  The launch made such a difference compared to her previous revving start. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 12:40:18 PM »
Anyone notice Shelina's "roll-back" into her grid position at the start of the 250SB race?  It definitely works!  :)

Sure I did, because, AFAIK, I'm the first one to post that maneuver on our forum. So she owes me a royalty payment, but only if she's on the podium! ;)