Author Topic: Roan's mods  (Read 8375 times)

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Green Motorcycles - weblog
Roan's mods
« on: April 06, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »
With this mod I can charge my Enertia without removing the seat. I shortened a C19-C20 power cord and mounted it underneath the seat. A vinyl pull tab cap will prevent the connector collecting dirt or moisture.

I used a plastic V form and attached the connector with two blind nails. This sticks with double sided foam tape at the end of the rear light. I can also drill two holes for blind nails in case the tape doesn't last.

A second power cord I leave under the seat and the other one stays at home for easy use.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:38:48 AM by Roan »
Plug in - Hop on - Ride electric

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: External power cord mod
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
Job done. I received the pull tab cap and took some beter pictures:

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Headlight conversion to bi-xenon HID kit
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
I replaced the H4 headlight bulb by a HID kit bi-xenon light. The ballast and connectors just fit in the headlight. It uses 35 watt instead of the 55 watt standard bulb. But most important, the brightness has increased and delivers approximately 3500 lumens. Much more than a led bulb could deliver.

Now the surprising part: total costs were just $ 20
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:41:16 PM by Roan »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Headlight conversion to bi-xenon HID kit
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:27:06 AM »
Excellent! Can you tell us your source for the parts?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: Roan's mods
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
I bought the HID kit and H4 connector eBay. The connectors are $3,25 (2 pc's) and bi-xenon kit costs $ 15,99. Aussi dollars.
You could do without the connector and solder the wires, but now I can easily change it back.
The illumination is very bright!

http://www.ebay.de/itm/231025311409?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

http://www.ebay.de/itm/171130180853?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
Not to be a wet blanket, but I'd heavily research any HID kit before buying.  Many retrofit kits don't place the light source in the sweet spot of the reflector and can produce an amazingly bright light that is totally not focused and doesn't actually provide better illumination, sometimes providing worse, and blinding oncoming drivers.

One source of many reviews and discussions on the topic:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html
Includes a ton of source links, vid, etc.

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 04:20:13 AM »
@Auslander. Thanks for your reply and warning.

The xenon light is a try-out. I will test ride it and prevent blinding any oncoming traffic ofcourse.

Auslander

• Empulse Guru
  • Ich bin ein Auslander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »
Very welcome!  I researched HID kits of various origin for my old Jeep, and aside from the unprofessional "They're great, they're superbright!" reports from users, few had technical evaluations.  Once I started finding that data, it got rather dodgy across the board.  For example, IIRC, only one brand of ballast was remotely close to waterproof (they mounted in the engine compartment, not inside a sealed headlight housing) so that was rather important.  I wound up going with new reflectors/lenses and high efficiency Phillips bulbs.

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Fan conversion
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:51:20 AM »
Next mod completed. I replaced the standard Delta Electronic fans by much quiter ones from Papst, type 612MI, 60x60x25mm. They produce only 16 dB at 2400 RPM. Better than the ear bleeding 65 dB of the originals.

I used the same 2 bolts per fan. But I had to schorten them because they came too far into the flow case. The wires needed to be soldered and I used double layer shrink sleeve.

An idea of Gerhard and Rollmops
http://e-motorraeder.xobor.de/t46f9-Brammo-Enertia-Erfahrungsbericht.html#msg116
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:44:50 PM by Roan »

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 02:57:14 AM »
Due to the firm suspension the jiffy frequently clacks when passing speed bumps or put holes. It irritated me and so I made it my next mod to fix this.

My solution is to fill up the space between the jiffy contacts with rubber and plastic. I cut the inner tube of a bicycle wheel to the width of the contact and slided it over the sidestand. Covering the contact does not affected the functionality.

The clacking noise was also increased by the two springs. To prevent this I wrapped both springs. The outer spring became a transparent tube from a water hose and for the smaller inner spring I used the thin outer isolation of a coax cable.

Result:

Slideshow
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:08:50 AM by Roan »

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »
Now I have my own Brammo at my disposal again, I could continue with some small mods. The entire lighting is completely replaced: I exchanged the flashing lights with LED (BAU15s SMD LED with 13 emitters). To keep the flashing frequency the same I had to fit a 3-pin CF14 LED relay. This relay is located on the fuse box under the seat and can be easily replaced. Compared to the individual resistors for all four lights, this is a simple solution.

In areas with cyclists and pedestrians my attendance is often unnoticed. Although riding cautisously at slow walking pace it can lead to undesirable situations. They suddenly cross or stay in my way because they just do not hear me. Using the horn would help of course, but it's rather incisively and can cause panic. I mounted an electric bell of M-Wave which produces short beeps of 90dB to avert 'imminent danger'. A more friendly way to be heard. ;) Video

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 11:28:18 AM by Roan »

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »
The beeps are interesting, though 90db still seems like it might be loud. I agree that the horn is too rude for pedestrians. I usually pull the clutch in and rev the motor a bit, or just yell, "Hello there!" as they are blissfully walking out into the street without looking.

Twenty-one people were struck and killed by drivers while walking the streets of San Francisco last year, the highest number of pedestrian deaths since 2007 in a city where three people on an average day get hit by cars or trucks.

Maybe I DO need a beeper! And maybe it needs to be 90db to compete with engine sounds of motos, cars, trucks, buses, tire sounds, as well as the general background of urban roar.

skuzzle

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 05:57:11 PM »
On the slight chance you haven't seen this... I love this solution for an electric scooter:
Domino's Pizza Safe Sound - Menselijk motorgeluid voor elektrische scooter

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 02:18:25 AM »
Now that's funny stuff right there! 

I'd go bonkers (short trip for me!) after riding that for about 20 minutes, though.

Roan

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 07:12:11 AM »
Of course I've applied a mod again at the start of the motorcycle season. The Brammo mirrors were next in line. They look beautiful but you see more of your shoulders than the traffic behind. By assembling bar end mirrors, original bar ends disassembled and placed in stock, I remedied this deficiency. On the other hand I also created another shortcoming: the handlebar has become very wide. I have to take care pushing it out of the garage and riding narrow passages.

The 'cafe racer' look is compensating a lot. On to the next mod!